Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Operatic/Orchestral Recording (Stealth)  (Read 3051 times)

Offline TenoRichards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
Operatic/Orchestral Recording (Stealth)
« on: March 31, 2004, 03:24:15 PM »
I'm getting serious about recording (myself) in operatic venues. Can no longer stand the MD crap. So, help me spend about a grand.

JB3. Okay. I like what I read. That seems like a logical step, though because this needs to be stealthy am worried about add on pre-amps and sh*t. Remember: I'm moving from MD so I'm a little unaccustomed to MORE equipment, especially when they begin to look like a sign to the orchestra union or head usher "Looky me! I'm recording." But I'm attempting to build a library that will eventually go on website and be used as cd demos for General Directors, thus the digi format. I travel w/ a reasonably fast Dell inspiron and have Adobe Aud on it. The mixing will have to be done on my laptop.

So, storage device will prob. be the Jb3, unless you dissuade me.

Next, I'm bummed about the Edirol-mod becoming un-usb. I would like to use it as my sound provider when listening back to things on the laptop for obvious reasons (laptop sucky soundcard) so I's a bit disappointed in that mod. Am I misunderstanding the shortcomings of this pre/adc? Is there a workaround for being able to use it for a/d AND d/a?

Mics: I understand most y'all are doing rock venues. (Rock is good. Me personallly, I can only listen to classical a limited portion of my day, then I go effin' nuts. That portion happens to be when I'm working.) So.... again....STEALTH. But #1 priority is capturing beauty of voice/orchestra in a large acoustical environ. Think extremely wide decibel range.

Last Q; how would the Marantz unit at SoundProfessionals size up against a HD like the Nomad?

Thanks in advan
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

jpschust

Re:Operatic/Orchestral Recording (Stealth)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 03:42:27 PM »
i would really talk to Moke (moderator) about this, this is his specialty

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 03:43:12 PM »

I'm attempting to build a library that will eventually go on website and be used as cd demos for General Directors, thus the digi format.

Marantz?

Thanks in advan

Not to be picky, but making public stealthed performances of performers that do not allow taping could get you onto trouble...  I understand that many of trade non-trade bands and such, but the copyright violations that occur with this action have impacted our community...

I'm not trying to stop you, on the contrary, I'd love to hear opera and classical live tapes...  But making them so widely available may get you Napstered...

See the Congress P2P  thread here...

As for the Marantz, it is a very nice unit, though it is about 3 times the size of the NJB3.  I'd say 1'x8"x3" or so???  The NJB3 is the size of a Discman...

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 05:41:05 PM »
[As for the Marantz, it is a very nice unit, though it is about 3 times the size of the NJB3.  I'd say 1'x8"x3" or so???  The NJB3 is the size of a Discman...

That's a do-able size. What might I expect in quality? Anyone? Bueller?

well, I'm not TOO worried about getting napstered. If I did post to web page I'd have to get permission or make sure the recording couldn't be pin-pointed to any one orch. But mostly it would be for archival and for very limited purposes.

Moke: Care to point me in the direction of a couple of omni's?

I'm still salivating over the Marantz, but it's a hunk o' change....
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 07:11:34 PM »
taperssection.com

please check your wallet at the door!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pnobles

• Taperssection Member
    • ME !
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 07:47:21 PM »
the DPA 4060 might be a good choice for what you are trying to do,  they are small and produce a great sound.  
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu
http://udel.edu/~pnobles   <- check it out

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 01:41:38 AM »
4060>modsbm-1>sony optical cable>JB3

or

4060>modsbm-1>D7/8

or

4060>M1/D100

:bigsmile:
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 08:56:27 AM »
Moke et al...

Aw, stop yer prostituting! I ain't throwing money atcha, so just pipe down! ::)

This from the Oade page:
Oade Brothers Audio Performance Upgrade

The Sony SBM-1 , is a fine convertor. It is our first choice for in the field A/D conversion. We offer four performance upgrades for this unit.  
The first involves replacing the mic preamp circuit. This upgrade is similar to our D7/8 mic input upgrade. It allows for a higher input level before overload and lowers the noise floor, producing a cleaner recording with less hiss. We charge $125.00 for this service.  
The second is a Digital I/O upgrade which provides a coax digital output cable. We use the 7 pin cable end to provide a passive 7 pin to Coax "y" adapter for use with the D3/7/8 or in the second Digital I/O port on the SBM-1. The end result is a sturdy 7 pin to RCA "y" Digi I/O cable and a standard coax output on the SBM-1 all for only $150.00.  
The third is a line input upgrade which increases the line input gain stage to allow for line in recording with mics that have SLIGHTLY less output than needed for line level input. This upgrade only increases gain. We charge $50.00 for this one.  
The fourth is a complete line stage rebuild which dramatically improves the sense of depth and detail in the SBM-1. An additional 6 dB of gain is available at your request, we recommend this only if you are NOT using an external preamp. We disable the mic preamp for this upgrade as the stock chips use too much power. We charge $250.00 for this service. We can do this upgrade with the Mic Input upgrade or either of the first two. There is no discount for combining upgrades.  

Lee, which of these mods would I need. It sure gets 'spensive, donut? The problem w/ this item is it's 2 hour battery life. That sucketh mightily for me. I need about 3 or 4.

Mic Q's: the mics couldn't be placed on my body but would have to be in the hall to get a better balance betwixt voice and orch. The 4060's still applicable for this?

Moke. Do we know each other? Looks like yer in OrgCnt. I've done Traviata/MacBeth/Rigoletto and soon Tosca w/ Opera Pacific and used to be the Music Minister at LaJolla Prez.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 09:06:27 AM by TenoRichards »
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 12:18:10 PM »
taperssection.com

please check your wallet at the door!

:rotflmao:
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 12:25:42 PM »
Mic Q's: the mics couldn't be placed on my body but would have to be in the hall to get a better balance betwixt voice and orch. The 4060's still applicable for this?

I don't see how you could place them in the hall & still be stealth?  You'd be surprised how good mics on your body will sound.

If your thinking about getting a MOD SBM-1 you may want to buy one used already moded. 500. - 550. bucks.

I'll let someone else chime in on powering it.

TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 12:43:51 PM »
I don't see how you could place them in the hall & still be stealth?  You'd be surprised how good mics on your body will sound.

Sorry, I'm not being clear. I am onstage. I can't put them on MY body and get an acoustically accurate recording (orch/singer mix). Dood, you ever HEARD a screaming opera singer up close?! It hurts! And I gotta put up with sopranos screaming in my ear: I love you!!! )

The recording would be done by friend, agent, spouse, anyone I could wrangle into doing it. Also in the past I've left md on the exit lite above the doors at the back of the auditorium. Surprisingly good results. Or, hang from lighting rack in the catwalk if I can talk a crewmember to get me up there, though this ain't optimal due to noise and interference from the lites. You'd be surprise what crew will do for $$. (hmmmm, maybe you wouldn't. This IS a tapers forum afterall....) But mostly, stealth is achieved by timing. Pull stuff out when the lites go down. Note to self: Must figure out better mic stand that folds quick and easy in dark... and is very lo profile.

I'd like to keep this under a grand. (Moke, stop the evil laugh....I mean it!)
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 01:11:28 PM »
Im a little confused... you have to stealth yourself ???

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 02:36:43 PM »
Im a little confused... you have to stealth yourself ???

yep. Because of the orch. union I have to be quiet about it. They get their panties in a twist if they see equipment in rehearsal or shows. Not a big deal, but no sense broadcasting it. Of course, for show, one is not allowed rec. equip in the theater and lately an usher noticed me in the theater as I hung my md on the exit sign. Fucker showed up at my dressing room a few minutes later and just handed it to me and walked out. (fortunately, I circumvented him and went to the sound engineer and got HIM to do it for $, which is often REALLY  verboten.) So, stuck w/ stealth....unless I was smart and knew how to splice into the monitor in my dressing room which has what's going on onstage pumped thru it. Nah, could never do that.....but i've sure thought about it, lemme tell ya.

OUCH. 750 for mics. (head hanging.....feeling poor.) Well, I'll keep reading reviews on the mic forum and letcha know how it goes. I may have to cut costs till I get my taxes paid. Sometimes it REALLY sucks being free lance, eh?

Nope. sorry Moke. While yer name rings a bell, it think it's cuz I drank too much last nite with one of the chorus women.....I HATE my job. ;D
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 05:50:34 PM »
so what is your budget?
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 10:21:01 AM »
A Grand. Total budget is a grand. Total. Grand. One thousand dollars. A one with 3 zeros. :'(

Don't worry, Moke. They HAVE been talking, but I won't tell on ya!

If I decided to stay with MD for the time being for financial constraints, what would you all suggest?

I thought the lavalier series were for close miking. They'll work out in the darkness of the theater? Don't know what the dummy head mics are, but will google. Thanks

Moke, what does the V2 stand for in your stealth equip list?

Y'know, I wonder if for this gig (perfs 15, 17 April) I shouldn't just post an ad for free tickets for a taper who wants to see the opera here in New Orleans and use their equipment. Some guys MIGHT wanna take their girlfriend's out for a free show..... Where would I post this?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 11:24:32 AM by TenoRichards »
www.tenorrichards.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com