Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Large arena, up close  (Read 2560 times)

Offline BusDriver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
Large arena, up close
« on: October 27, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
i just don't like taping when i know there are dozens of other pulls, but this time i say .. why not?

Big multi use arena, 14th row center     i believe general consensus might be omnis. mine are nak 300 but i'm thinking it better to keep as lowpro as possible, hence the senn 8040 - card..  so ortf or AB about 4 feet? And, will likely have to max out at head level, or lower. What can anyone input on the hassle factor at furthur shows as of late???? particularly at that location ... lots of lighting washing by ..

curious of your input

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Large arena, up close
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
The short answer: it depends.  :S    As you mentioned, everybody and their mother will chime in on this one.

The depends part is "what kind" of crowd are you expecting at said show?  If it's somewhat mellow and an older crowd, I'd be tempted to run the omnis as you suggest; in fact, I try to run omnis most of the time unless I'm at an arena/amphitheatre show or am at a club and can't get up to the front (at whcih point I'll switch to the cards).  You could run the cards but I think you'd be sitting "too close" to use those effectively -- although this isn't always the case, either, as I did record a show from the 5th row floors one time which turned out quite nice (using the AT-933/c's that I had at the time).

I never really worry about lighting being an issue.

Best of luck.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »
I never really worry about lighting being an issue.

I think the issue with lighting is getting caught if you're not supposed to tape in a specific location.

I'd use cardioids personally because of arena reflections and crowd noise, but whatever floats your boat. If it was an open field I'd go for omnis or subcards, but indoors I'd use the cards. I do agree that you might be just a touch too close, maybe 2 or 3 rows worth, but thats easily rectified, just trade seats backwards if you get there and you're inside the triangle.

I've always wondered what that impact zone/fob location would sound like with shotguns.  :D  :lol:
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

adrianf74

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »
I think the issue with lighting is getting caught if you're not supposed to tape in a specific location.

I'd use cardioids personally because of arena reflections and crowd noise, but whatever floats your boat. If it was an open field I'd go for omnis or subcards, but indoors I'd use the cards. I do agree that you might be just a touch too close, maybe 2 or 3 rows worth, but thats easily rectified, just trade seats backwards if you get there and you're inside the triangle.

I've always wondered what that impact zone/fob location would sound like with shotguns.  :D  :lol:
Page, to be frank, I never worry about getting shut down at an arena/amphitheatre.  I worry, more-so, about smaller theatres (less than 800 people) when I'm sitting -- eleveated -- in the first 6-to-8 rows like I just did the last two nights.  Neither artist was taper friendly and my 4061's served me well clipped to a black ballcap (one of the recordings was a touch echoey but it sounded that way at the venue as well -- I'd never been there before).

Indeed, if it was outdoors, the omnis are a no-brainer (unless you were sitting halfway to the soundboard area at a covered amphitheatre and then I'd reconsider depending on my seats).  In the arena setting, the omnis are likely better suited based on the OPs seat location despite the "wook factor."  In his case, I'd use "whichever mic was smallest."  For me, I have the DPA 4061's (omnis) and the CA-14 (cards) in my arsenal so if I was worried about being shut down, I'd take the omnis but until recently, I'd ran te CA-14 omnis WITHOUT incident even in tight spots.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »
Page, to be frank, I never worry about getting shut down at an arena/amphitheatre.  I worry, more-so, about smaller theatres (less than 800 people) when I'm sitting -- eleveated -- in the first 6-to-8 rows like I just did the last two nights.  Neither artist was taper friendly and my 4061's served me well clipped to a black ballcap (one of the recordings was a touch echoey but it sounded that way at the venue as well -- I'd never been there before).

Indeed, if it was outdoors, the omnis are a no-brainer (unless you were sitting halfway to the soundboard area at a covered amphitheatre and then I'd reconsider depending on my seats).  In the arena setting, the omnis are likely better suited based on the OPs seat location despite the "wook factor."  In his case, I'd use "whichever mic was smallest."  For me, I have the DPA 4061's (omnis) and the CA-14 (cards) in my arsenal so if I was worried about being shut down, I'd take the omnis but until recently, I'd ran te CA-14 omnis WITHOUT incident even in tight spots.

The 4061s are also a 1/4th of the size of the Senn 8000 series, different tools is all. With the Senns, it's a fair question to ask where as there is virtually no worry with the DPAs.

He says his low(er) profile mics are the Senns (which are cards) and it's indoors, to me that's win-win right there. Why use bigger omnis with more (metallic) reflections. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

adrianf74

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
The 4061s are also a 1/4th of the size of the Senn 8000 series, different tools is all. With the Senns, it's a fair question to ask where as there is virtually no worry with the DPAs.

He says his low(er) profile mics are the Senns (which are cards) and it's indoors, to me that's win-win right there. Why use bigger omnis with more (metallic) reflections. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Exactly.  My old CA-14's were more in-line with the size of his Senns and I wouldn't have worried that much about them at a larger show.  Like I also said, I'd use whatever is smallest in his case.  :)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I'd roll the Senns ORTF.  Sounds like a Furthur show, so taping is allowed, right (but maybe not there)? All the reasons page mentioned.  It's close, but not as severe as front row or something.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline BusDriver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
responses are what i expected, and what i have rolling around in my head.  i'm most likely passing on the nak/omni option - size factor, as i'm really enjoying the smooth rolling low end of the 8040's. that, and their compactness.

as i said, though, i almost never tape anything where i know it's being captured about a million times already. yes, this is an upcoming Furthur show and as it is only 10 minutes away i'd be a fool not to drop in. yeah, phil, i want to hear what the 8040's will do for you.

more specific to that location is the need to keep it low, at or below head level, to avoid the shut down. not so much the band / sound guys as misinformed venue security usherettes. i'm not fool enough to hoist them to 10 feet, which i would damn sure like to at that spot. yow.

so, thanks for the feedback. keep it coming.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 09:21:08 PM »
I, too, would recommend cards ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com