Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MAC g5 question  (Read 7099 times)

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
MAC g5 question
« on: February 28, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »
I have an ADC and DVI-I connectors on my G5, if I get something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BELKIN-Apple-ADC-to-DVI-Adapter-PowerMac-Mac-G5-G4-Cube_W0QQitemZ150096272732QQihZ005QQcategoryZ80063QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

can I run dual monitors?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:09:48 PM by beanstalk »
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
Re: MAC g5 question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 04:43:49 PM »
No. You still need a separate video card. Basically it is one card per monitor.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 04:50:58 PM »

Wayne

So what is the ADC port used for? Does it output the same signal?

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
Maybe we need to go backwards a bit. What card is in your G5 and what monitors are you trying to hook up?

The ATI 9700 & 9800 did have two ports on them, and you could run a second monitor from those.

Post the details on your configuration you are trying to connect and let's see if we can't figure this out. ;-)

Wayne

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 04:16:49 PM »
Maybe we need to go backwards a bit. What card is in your G5 and what monitors are you trying to hook up?

The ATI 9700 & 9800 did have two ports on them, and you could run a second monitor from those.

Post the details on your configuration you are trying to connect and let's see if we can't figure this out. ;-)

Wayne

ATI Radeon 9600 Video -128mb

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 05:29:53 PM »
I'm not familiar with model numbers but I know this: if you have two monitor ports on your graphics card(and it sounds like you have an ADC and DVI-I output) you can run two monitors, either mirrored or extended desktop. I have a g5 at my house and work, which have the ADC and DVI-I outputs from the single card, and these both run with dual monitors. So yes that first item is exactly what you need, and the second one looks like the same thing with a longer wire. I'm pretty sure your computer came with it though...look in all the boxes..ours came with it.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 05:30:19 PM »

According to the ATI/AMD docs, this card has two DVI connectors on it. So you should be able to simply connect one flat planel display to the one DVI connector, and another flat panel to the other DVI connector. Now, this assumes you are using flat panel displays that are using DVI ports on them. If you're using an older Apple Flat panel with the ADC connector on it, then you will need the DVI to ADC cable you found earlier.

Wayne

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 05:43:35 PM »

According to the ATI/AMD docs, this card has two DVI connectors on it. So you should be able to simply connect one flat planel display to the one DVI connector, and another flat panel to the other DVI connector. Now, this assumes you are using flat panel displays that are using DVI ports on them. If you're using an older Apple Flat panel with the ADC connector on it, then you will need the DVI to ADC cable you found earlier.

Wayne

where did you see that ATI/AMD docs? From what I was told (I haven't got the g5 in my hands yet, just trying to get the system together before it gets here), it has ATI Radeon 9600 Video and it has 1 DVI and 1 ADC??

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »
where did you see that ATI/AMD docs? From what I was told (I haven't got the g5 in my hands yet, just trying to get the system together before it gets here), it has ATI Radeon 9600 Video and it has 1 DVI and 1 ADC??

That was in their 9600 Mac OS manual. I'll hit up some former co-workers and see what they have to say (I use to work at ATI).

Wayne

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 07:27:21 PM »
We're talking about a Powermac G5 and not an iMac G5 right?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 09:11:12 PM »

Powermac G5

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 09:32:51 PM »
A feature of ALL PowerMacs have been dual monitor support.  It has been this way for quite some time now, including all PMG5's and many G4's before them. 

Reading the thread, I think a couple fo things are lost in translation, but you are on teh right track with that adapter if you intend to run dual DVI displays.  As Apple phased out of ADC displays, the newer cards are dual DVI.  Regardless, these models also came with DVI to VGA adapters as well.  Short of an adapter, you should be set with duals, no matter what their input (DVI, ADC or VGA). 

In addition, as someone else pointed out, you can run these dual displays at independent resolutions.  The control panel will pick up the presence of the monitr and you can adjust resoltuion and virtual configuration there.

Hope that helps,
keytohwy

Powermac G5

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 09:33:36 PM »
Wayne, this is incorrect.  Dual displays have been a feature for quite a while now.

keytohwy

Wayne

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 09:35:13 PM »
ADC=Apple Display Connector.  It is basically DVI with power and USB built in.  It was kinda nifty, but sucked buying an Apple display if you wanted to run it off a laptop (no power) or a PC with a DVI-based video card, so it was eventually dropped. 

keytohwy

Wayne

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 09:03:59 AM »
ADC=Apple Display Connector.  It is basically DVI with power and USB built in.  It was kinda nifty, but sucked buying an Apple display if you wanted to run it off a laptop (no power) or a PC with a DVI-based video card, so it was eventually dropped. 

keytohwy

Wayne

Thanks all +t's down the line

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 09:47:43 AM »
So, I just heard back from my buddy at ATI/AMD... There are two versions of this card. One version has two DVI connectors on it. That card was sold to both the PC and Mac folks, and then there was as 9600 G5 edition, which has one DVI connector and one ADC connector... So, depending on what version of the card this is, you will either need an adapter or you won't... isn't that clear as mud. ;)

If the person selling the card tells you it has an ADC connector, then that's the G5 edition he is selling. For that you will need an adapter if you want to use it with a non-ADC monitor.

Wayne

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »
So, I just heard back from my buddy at ATI/AMD... There are two versions of this card. One version has two DVI connectors on it. That card was sold to both the PC and Mac folks, and then there was as 9600 G5 edition, which has one DVI connector and one ADC connector... So, depending on what version of the card this is, you will either need an adapter or you won't... isn't that clear as mud. ;)

If the person selling the card tells you it has an ADC connector, then that's the G5 edition he is selling. For that you will need an adapter if you want to use it with a non-ADC monitor.

Wayne

but if I have 2 ADC monitors (which I do) I need the DVI to ADC connector right?

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 10:37:59 AM »
but if I have 2 ADC monitors (which I do) I need the DVI to ADC connector right?

Now I understand what you're doing! The answer is yes, if you want to use the DVI port to connect up with the ADC monitor, you will need the adapter:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=M8661LL%2FB

The kicker here is the adapter is $100, and apparently folks don't like the size of the brick that is used (you can read comments on the Apple Store).

Wayne

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »

Now I understand what you're doing! The answer is yes, if you want to use the DVI port to connect up with the ADC monitor, you will need the adapter:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=M8661LL%2FB

The kicker here is the adapter is $100, and apparently folks don't like the size of the brick that is used (you can read comments on the Apple Store).

Wayne

Ya I was reading some reviews about it and noticed that the price and the size where the only down falls which is not the big of a deal when using it for desktop use. Laptop stuff my get in the way.

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 06:00:55 PM »
Yes, these are little clunky, which is what I was referring to earlier.  Before Apple made adapters (which I always felt was a misnomer...these are really power supples!), Dr. Bott made them.  You can find them on eBay or other used merch places.  Might be a little cheaper.  For those keeping score, yes, Dr. Bott simply used a Mac G4 Cube power supply in this rig.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dr-Botts-DVIator-DVI-to-ADC-Adapter-Incl-Apple-205W_W0QQitemZ140090692848QQihZ004QQcategoryZ80063QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

keytohwy

Wayne

Ya I was reading some reviews about it and noticed that the price and the size where the only down falls which is not the big of a deal when using it for desktop use. Laptop stuff my get in the way.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com