Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Use NiMH battery charger with any brand batteries?  (Read 5673 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Use NiMH battery charger with any brand batteries?
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:21:28 AM »
I'm guessing this is a rehash topic but I tried to search for this topic and didn't come up with much.  ???  Basically, wondering if I can use a charger, say a La Crosse charger, with any brand and capacity of NiMH AA batteries.  I would assume that it would be fine, especially since La Crosse doesn't make batteries I believe, but was slightly worried about those warnings that come with chargers about using them with other brand batteries.  Marketing lies I'm sure, but just want to make sure.  Thanks in advance! 

edit: found out lacrosse does make batteries too...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:48:01 AM by su6oxone »

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Use NiMH battery charger with any brand batteries?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:15:14 PM »
You are correct that some companies claim that using other battery brands is not recommended with their chargers, and visa versa. I also think it's marketing.

I used Energizers for the last few years until some started crapping out, and recently replaced everything with Duracell 2650s, which I love because they have a lot more capacity than the Energizer 2500s I was using. I passed on buying another quick charger, because right on the back of the label for the Duracell 15 min charger, it said that charging times would vary based on capacity and brand of battery, meaning Duracell is right there giving only that as a disclaimer for using a different battery brand. I have been using these Duracells with my Energizer 1 hour charger without any problem, although I may still buy a Duracell 15 min one just for the increased charging speed. Bottom line, don't worry about mixing brands of chargers and batteries. As long as the charger is made for NiMH batteries, any brand of NiMH battery will work.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
You are correct that some companies claim that using other battery brands is not recommended with their chargers, and visa versa. I also think it's marketing.

I used Energizers for the last few years until some started crapping out, and recently replaced everything with Duracell 2650s, which I love because they have a lot more capacity than the Energizer 2500s I was using. I passed on buying another quick charger, because right on the back of the label for the Duracell 15 min charger, it said that charging times would vary based on capacity and brand of battery, meaning Duracell is right there giving only that as a disclaimer for using a different battery brand. I have been using these Duracells with my Energizer 1 hour charger without any problem, although I may still buy a Duracell 15 min one just for the increased charging speed. Bottom line, don't worry about mixing brands of chargers and batteries. As long as the charger is made for NiMH batteries, any brand of NiMH battery will work.

Cool, thanks for the info! +t

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
Rather than marketing, I think it's the companies' legal departments that make them say to use only with our products. Sure it will probably work with any brand of NiMH battery but they can't test it with every battery every other company makes (that's what UL does) but they can verify it will work with every battery they make. Hypothetically, you use the La Crosse charger to charge brand x's battery and something bad happens - think the battery blows up and some of the contents causes chemical burns to someone or the charger overheats catching the house on fire - by putting the disclaimer to only use their batteries, they have gone a long way of absolving themselves of any liability. Sure a good product liability attorney could probably get a settlement of some kind but very few folks have the money to hire a good product liability attorney. Bottom line, it will probably work with no problems but by using some other company's batteries in the charger, you assume most of the risk if it doesn't work for some reason. That said, I mix and match batteries and chargers and have had no problems.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:35:54 PM »
Rather than marketing, I think it's the companies' legal departments that make them say to use only with our products. Sure it will probably work with any brand of NiMH battery but they can't test it with every battery every other company makes (that's what UL does) but they can verify it will work with every battery they make. Hypothetically, you use the La Crosse charger to charge brand x's battery and something bad happens - think the battery blows up and some of the contents causes chemical burns to someone or the charger overheats catching the house on fire - by putting the disclaimer to only use their batteries, they have gone a long way of absolving themselves of any liability. Sure a good product liability attorney could probably get a settlement of some kind but very few folks have the money to hire a good product liability attorney. Bottom line, it will probably work with no problems but by using some other company's batteries in the charger, you assume most of the risk if it doesn't work for some reason. That said, I mix and match batteries and chargers and have had no problems.

Makes sense to me.  8) +t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com