Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 126229 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #345 on: July 07, 2019, 12:32:22 PM »
When recording amplified music, the greatest influence on the sound will be the quality of the amplification.  For any real comparison of mods etc, it needs to be acoustic music.  Or maybe I'm just an aged reactionary.

True. But, even with amplified music, gear makes an audible difference:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184892.0;all
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #346 on: July 07, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »
this thing kinda pissed me off last night

i was at a fest and needed an extra recorder, wasnt planning on using it and grabbed it out of my backpack. i had the sd card out and internal memory was close to full... it filled up the internal memory and stopped recording.... heck if i could figure out how to delete music off of there from the device itself. was trying to just delete a whole artist as i dumped a bunch of summer phish flacs on there. While you can delete individual files it wasnt intuitive how to delete whole artists or albums. I gave up and trekked back to home base to grab an sd card out of another recorder, and lost more than i should

now after experimenting at home in a calmer environment i know to get there
go to music>artists>'phish'>'all phish'>(it takes you to a long list of all tracks tagged with that artist)>select any one track>'Option' button>'delete all in list'
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #347 on: July 07, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
Well said Jerryfreak. Doug’s mantra has always been “trust your ears”. I bought a babynbox and after 2 shows, decided the m10 pres were very lacking to my ears. 620 warm mod is super sweet to my ears, kinda wished I’d known he modded m10s before I sold all theee and bought three 620s and had all three modded. :facepalm:
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #348 on: July 08, 2019, 01:55:50 PM »
Hi, i just bought it and am confused.
I use Church audio ca and batterybox.
When i select external Settings there is "mic in" and "audio in" to select. What shall i choose here?
And is the locut just a Base roll off or a hard cut of Bass?
If your mics are omnidirectional, line in. If they're cardioids, mic in, low sensitivity.

Especially if they're cardioids, don't apply any highpass filters (aka bass roll-off). You can always dial it out in post-production but more often than not, I find myself dialing more in during post-production.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Bit confused here. Could use some conformation for my first gig with this new machine.

Rock Concert (Open Air)
AT853 cards + Naiant IPA + Sony A10

Settings:
Audio IN
Manual

Right?

Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #349 on: July 08, 2019, 04:28:15 PM »
Hi, i just bought it and am confused.
I use Church audio ca and batterybox.
When i select external Settings there is "mic in" and "audio in" to select. What shall i choose here?
And is the locut just a Base roll off or a hard cut of Bass?
If your mics are omnidirectional, line in. If they're cardioids, mic in, low sensitivity.

Especially if they're cardioids, don't apply any highpass filters (aka bass roll-off). You can always dial it out in post-production but more often than not, I find myself dialing more in during post-production.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Bit confused here. Could use some conformation for my first gig with this new machine.

Rock Concert (Open Air)
AT853 cards + Naiant IPA + Sony A10

Settings:
Audio IN
Manual

Right?
depends on the gain of the IPA

thats basically "line in, manual level control"

"mic in" will be higher gain, and also turn on PIP, but im pretty sure the IPA has caps to block PIP
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »
I've read a few reviews that say the battery drains while the unit is off. Has anyone had that experience?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2019, 04:18:23 PM »
I've read a few reviews that say the battery drains while the unit is off. Has anyone had that experience?

havent noticed it. it does turn on quickly so prob lives in some sort of standby

ive never seen it drop a bar or anything in storage

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #352 on: July 17, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »
My a10 came in today. The app is great and works well with my s9+. Controls are easy and it pretty much disappears in my closed fist.

The usb is a little janky and I can see this possibly being an issue in the future.

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #353 on: July 17, 2019, 04:34:10 PM »

The usb is a little janky and I can see this possibly being an issue in the future.

It’s a holdover from their memo recorders and a really bad design idea. I had a USB extension cable female to male and that makes it easier to connect the A10 to my computer.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #354 on: July 18, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
Mine just arrived,it is tiny.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #355 on: July 18, 2019, 03:44:02 PM »
Nice setup. I dig the headphones  :cheers:

I like that the case leaves enough room for a right angle miniplug to stay in the mic input while protecting the screen.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #356 on: July 18, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »
My unit has an issue.

I was doing low level tests of ambient sounds and noticed a click click click not always there but most of the time.External mics(3 different sets)built in mics and audio in with preamp.All produced this light low level click sound.You probably wouldn't notice at rock levels but mine is going back unfortunately.

Here is a 10 sec sample if anyone is interested.The most obvious of all recordings some were so low but still audible on headphones.

https://we.tl/t-EfYXovHiK2

Offline Niels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #357 on: July 19, 2019, 12:27:10 AM »
Very audible. That’s unfortunate.
Did you happen to do any parameter change during the part that clicks? Changing levels for example?
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #358 on: July 19, 2019, 12:32:05 AM »
My unit has an issue playing 2496 flac from the SD card

at some point most tracks will start to stutter and I have to reboot it

I haven’t been able to reproduce it using the internal memory. Second different sd card I tried, I tested the card fully written and read front to back it should be reading at 60 MB/second

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #359 on: July 19, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »
Mine just arrived,it is tiny.

what's that amp?
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com