Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 release information  (Read 110289 times)

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
Re: Edirol R-09 release information
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2006, 02:36:03 PM »
Whoever got one at Sam Ash - Did they price match an internet price like people were doing with the MTs?

they said they would price match within 60 days of the purchase if it was an authorized dealer that is selling.  i didnt know of anyone selling it cheaper at the time.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #241 on: June 28, 2006, 02:47:22 PM »
so what 4gb cards are people having success with?

and what kind of frosting goes best with a vanilla pound cake?   ;D

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #242 on: June 28, 2006, 03:59:01 PM »

I just bought the card you said you were using..    Looks like the price has been dropped another $3 and the rebate extended again...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820163159

Same here, looks like the last reviewer couldn't format it either:

Not Amazing

Pros: Large Capacity (In Theory)...

Cons: Will not format in my Kyocera Finecam SL300R. After looking around more (which I should have done before I bought the darn thing) I found that many people are having issues formatting this card and those who are able to format it can only get it to format to 1-2 GB.....

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #243 on: June 28, 2006, 04:07:15 PM »

I just bought the card you said you were using..    Looks like the price has been dropped another $3 and the rebate extended again...

Not Amazing

Cons: Will not format in my Kyocera Finecam SL300R. After looking around more (which I should have done before I bought the darn thing) I found that many people are having issues formatting this card and those who are able to format it can only get it to format to 1-2 GB.....

Someone should tell him to get a card reader :) Oh and someone should tell Edirol to make the R09 support 4GB cards too  :P
Retired Taper

Offline Myran

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2006, 04:41:07 PM »

Not Amazing

I don't know how this works but i can't format it on my r-09, but if i attach the r-09 to the usb i can format it through Windows.

If this is a good way to go i don't know.. but the test recordning after the format went well.

Offline mahntoh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #245 on: June 29, 2006, 02:03:36 AM »
What prices have you fellas been payin' for one of these R-09's, if ya don't mind me askin?

Will these guys work ok with Energizer lithium ions, and any worries about them overheating?

Offline Blue Noise

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2006, 02:41:36 AM »
sorry if this was the wrong thread to ask about external mics for the r-09...

Offline SunWizard

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #247 on: June 29, 2006, 11:19:03 AM »
sorry if this was the wrong thread to ask about external mics for the r-09...

I don't think its anything you said, someone is -T crazy on this thread.  I got -5 T already just by answering some questions on this thread.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline mdarnton

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
« Reply #248 on: June 29, 2006, 11:27:01 AM »
I think the children must be back from summer camp. One board I participate in eliminated that stuff because all it takes is a couple of them to destroy the meaning of the whole system. Do we, as supposed adults, really need gold stars awarded?

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #249 on: June 30, 2006, 07:14:36 AM »
I think the children must be back from summer camp. One board I participate in eliminated that stuff because all it takes is a couple of them to destroy the meaning of the whole system. Do we, as supposed adults, really need gold stars awarded?
OK, I gotta ask..... I have searched high and low and I can't find ANY information ANYWHERE on what the Ts mean or how you "give them" out.  The most I could find was that if you contribute financially, you get some. 

Obviously there is a way because I seem to have a positive number of them. 

I have always treated the whole "T" thing as simply taperssection slang for "well done" but I guess there is more to it? 

Sorry for hijacking the thread.... a PM will suffice so as not to distract the thread any further....

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #250 on: June 30, 2006, 09:54:01 AM »
OK, I gotta ask..... I have searched high and low and I can't find ANY information ANYWHERE on what the Ts mean or how you "give them" out.  The most I could find was that if you contribute financially, you get some. 

Obviously there is a way because I seem to have a positive number of them. 

I have always treated the whole "T" thing as simply taperssection slang for "well done" but I guess there is more to it? 

Sorry for hijacking the thread.... a PM will suffice so as not to distract the thread any further....

Paul

The archive section has all the info on giving and recieving tickets.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2298.0
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2006, 10:51:59 AM »
Got mine on wednesday but have been too busy traveling to do much. Yes, the r09.. I'm actually talking about the r09 here and not tickets or random mics  ::)

Random observations follow.. Sorry about the length and randomness.

I am REALLY impressed. The engineering and attention to detail are outstanding. After the mt my expectations were kinda low.  But it seems Edirol actually used professional engineers with experience to design and develop the product.. The microtrack reminds me of a prototype done by a student team as a class project. A class project that will never be revisited after it is graded.. Just a one-off. I can't even begin to list everything that was done better on the r09 than the mt..  Attention to detail.  And so far, I haven't even found anything major to bitch about.  I still dig the mt as a bit bucket but this just shows how good it could have been... Of course that doesn't mean it records better.  Just means I'm likely to buy edirol in the future and likely to never consider m-audio.   The people who designed/project manage the r09 live and work in a different world than the mt people.  I don't think the mt team have ever recorded anything in their lives.

The thing seems rock solid in most every way..  And very frugal on batteries.  I've pushed my first pair of alki AA's pretty hard.  I did a fair bit of testing on wednesday.  I setup mk4 > rmod in front of my VR4's and ran the rmod into the r09 (various modes), 722, microtrack and v3>722.  I actually managed to produce 30 second samples before I left town but they were about 100K too big to attach so I couldn't post'em or redo them in the time I had...

I ran it off the 722 line out for one show.. I planned on running 4061>r09 as a backup for a semi-outdoor show but then remembered I'd loaned my bbox out. Major bummer there.  Last night I taped it to my stand for a somewhat loud rock show. I never plan on using the built in mics but figured what the heck.. It was difficult to monitor the clip light or meters with the front facing away and everything taped over (allowing them to flash on my stand was not an option).  The internal mics sound pretty good but they aren't dpa's. I ran low gain mode at about 12 on the trim. I think the levels peaked around -10. I was in the dark on this setting because I don't have docs on the gain structure and haven't had a chance to measure it.

The levels go from 1 to 30 and are numeric.. Much nicer than "third notch plus one" on the mt. BUT.. the level setting is not displayed on the record screen.  I'm not sure there is a way to see the current setting without changing it (with possibly audible artifacts).

Xfer speed via the usb port is about 2.1MB/second.

As already mentioned, the ring around the record button lights solid when recording and flashes when on pause. It is easy to put a square of gaffer tape over it that still allows button operation.  It is nice to be able to glance at the recorder from a great distance and see that it is actually recording.  You could also leave a pinhole in the tape and get confirmation by glancing down into your shirt pocket, etc. Nice to not have to  nsee the ET counter incrementing.

Battery use seems very frugal. But my use so far has been pretty random so I won't quote anything (about 6 hours of shows plus testing). The low battery warning flashes as a message across the display.  Pretty nice.  The consumption meter seems fairly accurate. I received the low battery warning at the encore of my last show. I was on my last sliver of battery this morning but did not get a warning until I started recording. I popped the batteries out right after and they were at 1.24volts (plain Energizer alki).

I'm using a $4 "icon" digital camera case. Fits well.

I haven't opened it up.  But I see screws on the back so maybe it isn't a "pry until you cry" type of disassembly (never opened my mt either). I am curious about the internal shielding and whether we might want to add some more to protect against cellphones or whatever.

The battery door is definitely a funky design that requires some instruction and care to operate properly.  It is nice that they cover the SD card slot and the USB connector to prevent an accumulation of fuzz, etc, from pocket and bag use.

I measured the mic voltage at 2.49volts.  I have powered the 4061's using the MT's 4.9volts and did not encounter issues at loud and bass-heavy shows.  But I'm sure the 2.49v is too low  :(

Has anyone measured and documented the gain structure of the various settings?

I'm hoping to get caught up on some shows (hah!) and get some samples posted soon.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2006, 12:28:52 PM »
I haven't opened it up.  But I see screws on the back so maybe it isn't a "pry until you cry" type of disassembly (never opened my mt either). I am curious about the internal shielding and whether we might want to add some more to protect against cellphones or whatever.

The R-09 opens up very easily and has a nice modular design to all the internal pieces. If your interested in opening one up, look at the backside of the unit and start by pryng the top of the silver panel. The top of the silver panel is held on my double-sided tape and the bottom of the panel is hooked into the main section of the housing in black. Once you have the silver panel off the back, you will have revealed the third screw which holds the front panel together. Remove all three screws from the back and carefully dismantle the internals from there. Becareful not to loose the pin which hinges the battery door cover. The first time I opened mine up, I lost it to the carpeting in my office for about a half hour.. Enjoy.
db-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #253 on: July 02, 2006, 12:44:59 PM »
Thanks for the tips!   I think I'll hold off unless I have a reason to go in.  I'd love to see some pics if someone opens one up.

How well shielded did it seem to be?  The attention to detail seems pretty high so I wouldn't be surprised if they've done a good job of it.

I have mine open right now to check on some chip specs - so I'll post some pics and chip specs in a bit. There is no shielding tape used on my R-09 so this could be improved upon very easily.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #254 on: July 03, 2006, 09:13:16 AM »
how satisfied are the first edirol R-09 users with the quality of the recordings?
may I ask, how would you compare the quality of edrirol R-09 to HiMD recordings?
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com