Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie, please be kind! :)  (Read 1704 times)

Offline MoFlickah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie, please be kind! :)
« on: May 06, 2005, 01:56:24 AM »
I listened to a recording at Archive.org and it has a high rating. I want to record a few shows myself so I figured I would use the equipment that particular recorder used. It says

Source: AKG393 > Edirol UA-5 (Warm mod) > (optical) > Nomad JB3
Lineage: Nomad JB3 > Cool Edit 2.0 (normalize) > CD Wave > MKW > SHN

Problem is, I have no idea what that means. The AKG is a mic right? Also the shows I want to do are both outdoor, while the equipment above was used for an indoor show. Is this equipment still appropriate for outdoor and if not what do you suggest? Thanks for any help. :)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: Newbie, please be kind! :)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 02:23:10 AM »
The AKG is a mic right?

yep

the shows I want to do are both outdoor

not familiar w/ said mics, but in/ out doors shouldn't matter that much(o.k. bring it on).

don't worry about the lineage part! that's the transfer, nothing to do w/ the recording. also don't wory about the "rateing" at etree.   jb3 is a popular recorder and comes w/ a decent price. w/ua-5 might be hard to come by right now, i'm sure someone will post the link.

assuming you're starting from scratch, you need to figure a budget. 

"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 02:44:12 AM »
Akg is a german microphone company.  That specific microphone 393, is a Akg SE300b microphone body and a ck93 Hypercardioid capsuel.  Making it a  393.  Good mics.  around $400 used

Edirol Ua-5 is a preamp digital audio converter .  The warm mod part of that stands for a modification done by the Oade Brothers (oade.com).  They basically upgrade it to make it sound better.  around $425 used

The Jb3.  Is a createive nomad jukebox 3.  It is a portable harddrive/mp3 player that records the data from the UA-5.  The magic thing about a jb3 is that it records in WAV format and it takes a digital signal. around $150 used
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 10:28:15 AM »
Akg is a german microphone company.  That specific microphone 393, is a Akg SE300b microphone body and a ck93 Hypercardioid capsuel.  Making it a  393.  Good mics.  around $400 used

If your primary use will be outdoors and relatively close to the sound source, then you may want to consider the ck91 cardiod capsule. If you'll be recording in clubs, then the ck93 may be a bit more versatile.
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 09:34:22 PM »
I listened to a recording at Archive.org and it has a high rating. I want to record a few shows myself so I figured I would use the equipment that particular recorder used. It says

Source: AKG393 > Edirol UA-5 (Warm mod) > (optical) > Nomad JB3
Lineage: Nomad JB3 > Cool Edit 2.0 (normalize) > CD Wave > MKW > SHN

Problem is, I have no idea what that means. The AKG is a mic right? Also the shows I want to do are both outdoor, while the equipment above was used for an indoor show. Is this equipment still appropriate for outdoor and if not what do you suggest? Thanks for any help. :)

hmm..I MIGHT be willing to part with my 393's and UA5(you would need to have the warm mod added[it is Oade...so its easy])....I have been thinking about changing mics...
I can't part with my jb3 currently tho...but if you search around hard enough..you will find one...
pm me if you are interested!!

also...i must say...yes this setup is SCHWEET!...also...you might wanna test out some of the 393's > digi-mod UA5 before you upgrade to warm mod..(although it doesnt sound the same) it sounds GR8!....i can show you some shows on the archive that you can d/l and listen to if you are interested!

good choice on the setup tho!!!  good luck with your search and most importantly...have fun no matter WHAT rig you choose....trust me..you WILL change your rig at sometime...just ask the slut bagtagsell!!!!  he changes about 3 times a month!   :P 
+t and welcome aboard
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com