Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: vxpocket v2 issues  (Read 2283 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
vxpocket v2 issues
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:35:34 PM »
kinda at my wits' end here. today there appeared for the first time some nasty-ass spyware that even spy sweeper couldn't cure, so i reformatted and reinstalled windows and all software and drivers. now i cannot get my vxpocket to recognize my m1 to save my life.
i dled the latest vxkit from digigram, installed it properly, and tried to transfer to sound forge, but sf's monitors were showing nothing and i heard nothing through the vx's headphone out. checked the vxpocket mixer and nothing was reading on its wave in monitor. so of course i then tried to unplug, replug, kick out the card, put it back in, restart, try connecting cables in different orders, shutting the m1 on and off, refreshing the mixer, unplugging the dongle, and all the rest in every which way, but to no avail. still nothing showing up on the mixer's wave monitor with digital in.
then i tried using the second most recent drivers but also no success. then tried monitoring analog in with the dongle's xlr inputs with my dpa mps-6010 and 4061s, but even cranking the gain and yielded nothing on the headphones or the monitor.

-dongle plugged in, m1 connected but off: white noise through headphones

-dongle plugged in, coax cable/7pin disconnected: white noise through headphones

-dongle plugged in, m1 connected but off, music file playing in winamp: white noise on top of music file, wave out displays on vxpocket mixer's waveout monitor, white noise disappears a couple seconds after stopping winamp playback

-dongle plugged in, coax cable/7pin disconnected: white noise through headphones

and a few minutes ago i managed to playback some music in winamp with no white noise, but i've been struggling with this shit too much and i can't remember how, or to recreate it.
anyone have some advice? ask away if i can clarify anything more... thanks fellas!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: vxpocket v2 issues
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:50:15 PM »
It wasn't listed so I thought i'd ask. 

What about the input/output settings in SoundForge? (see attached pic)

Also are you able to detect the M1 with any software other than SoundForge?  CDWave, WabeLab, Vegas, etc....

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »
um... ok, i don't know how the hell it happened, but somehow taking a 20 minute break seemed to break the curse - kind of. i came back and fired up the m1, checking all software settings many times and refreshing, and what do you now, the recording monitors in sound forge light right up! BUT i couldn't monitor at all, and when trying to play back in sound forge, i heard just a quick "click" and no music.
dave, great suggestion with trying cd wave. for some reason, cd wave both recorded and played back with no problem. this is super surprising to me, because shouldn't the vx monitors have lit up as well?
wondering why playback and recording and monitoring don't all seem to work properly, but as long as i can get the recording to work, i'll take it for now...

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
Glad to read it works, for now if not entirely properly. A few suggestions: in pic 1 click "use only default devices" since the VX is listed as the default, not likely but possible Windows is routing the sound through another device (does your motherboard have onboard audio or have you added an aftermarket soundcard?); also check the volume properties to make sure nothing is muted or turned all the way down. In pic 2, view your log file as it may give you a clue what, if anything, isn't setup properly.

If things don't work properly after trying those, I'll plug my VX into the laptop and see if there is something else I see amiss from your screenshots.

< one last thought, in your last post one screen capture, change Audio/Data Mode to Audio >
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:39:44 PM by flipp »

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »
Click the Data button in the last pic

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 06:17:36 AM »
thanks for the replies, guys.
now i'm getting a little concerned about something else. in sound forge preferences, i can't seem to adjust the ASIO clock input settings like i can through the digigram drivers interface - i get an "operation fail" message, then something about a host running. by fixing all the settings first, then starting up sound forge, i thought i'd be ok, but when i double-checked the clock settings through sound forge, they were all at defaults, including using the internal clock. pretty freaking annoying. should i be concerned about it? maybe the vxpocket really is using the m1's clock, but sound forge doesn't realize and display that?
next step is to try using cd wave to record exclusively, see if it's friendly about the clock settings. do you think it's necessary to re-transfer all the ones i've done through sound forge?

edit: just got what you guys meant by the audio/data button switch. maybe it's different with the newest drivers, but i have the button reading "data" all the time and it can be either selected or unselected. because it's unselected, i suppose that means "audio."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:29:11 AM by zhianosatch »

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 07:23:03 AM »
I recall having to double-check the WaveLab driver preferences each time I entered WaveLab4.  Sometimes they'd be set at what I last left them, but more often than not, I'd have to re-configure.  I just chalked it up to typical laptop/driver weirdness and made it part of my process.

In regards to the Audio/Data button, your explanation is correct in how it's selected and what "on" or "off" means, except when transferring a DAT via spdif you want it enabled and therefore set to Data mode since you're transferring data over coax rather than audio over the XLRs.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 05:42:32 PM »
as much as i love the vx, ive never found it to play nice with d8 and m1 decks. it has to do with sony's off-spec spdif voltage, i beleive.

works like a dream with my r500s or and AD converters ive tried
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 05:26:41 AM »
all in all, i think the vx and sound forge are just not jiving on my pc. there's some finicky shit going on and it seems like sound forge has too much propriety over the vx's settings. anyway, i did my transfers through cd wave and had no issues. (i love lightweight, super functional software like cd wave, feurio.) the vx is the only audio device installed, no drivers for my onboard audio. and also made sure to check the data button, i didn't know about that one before.
thanks for the help guys, + all around.

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »
Hi,

I am using the Digigram VXpocket V2 in two of my computers, a heavy weight laptop and a Tablet PC (picture of the last rig in this forum). I also use the Sony Soundforge (9.0) and prefer the ASIO drivers (as they bypasses the Windows mixer). There can be conflicts between the VXpocket and the on-board soundcard. Look in the Control Panel. It is a pity the noise level of the microphone input is on the high side. A reduction of 10dB would have been fine!

Roger

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com