Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mono to stereo tips ?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
mono to stereo tips ?
« on: October 09, 2006, 05:26:31 PM »
Saturday night the only open output on the board was unfortunately a single 1/4" mono, which was better than nothing, so I grabbed it.

Now, I'm curious if there's any tips or tricks other than obviously just pasting the track to both channels?

Anyone have any ideas?
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: mono to stereo tips ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »
I too had to record a mono SBD feed the other night!  I also was running onstage too, so I'm just using this awful SBD feed as a supplement, of course.  :)

I think there was a way of flipping one channel and then adding delay to make it sound less mono-ized, but I can't find the thread after searching for a little while this afternoon.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: mono to stereo tips ?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 07:06:17 PM »
Are you matrixing it with an AUD source? If so, it might not be that bad as you'll get a lot of wetness out of the AUD. If not, and you only have the SBD, you can try a bunch of things, but the times I've tried this, I've had mixed results and gone back to the mono source sometimes. Try a TINY amount of reverb. Try a TINY amount of delay in one channel (this one is my preferred method). Try a TINY bit of a "doubler" VST plugin (usually used for chorusing vocals). Sometimes the doublers have an ability to delay the signals to L and R differently, and sometimes they let you do some crazy stuff with real-time panning of the doubling, but it's WAY hit or miss. There are others, but you might want to try pasting the mono track into both channels of a stereo track, and then "slipping" one channel just a tiny bit to delay it from the other -- it doesn't take much. Watch out too because some crazy-ass biaural processing comes into play in your head once you delay the one side too far. You literally won't hear the delayed side anymore when listening in headphones, it's really weird, even though if you listen with one ear at a time, the full signal is coming through both sides of the headphones.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com