Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seagate to buy Maxtor  (Read 2752 times)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
Seagate to buy Maxtor
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:05:22 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051221/bs_nm/maxtor_seagate_dc

Interesting development.  Don't see any upside for tapers.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Seagate to buy Maxtor
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:22:13 AM »
Drives will be cheaper in price and probably cheaper in quality.  I have always had GREAT luck with Maxtor drives and never any with Seagate.

zowie

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 10:59:18 AM »
Why do you say cheaper in price?  After (if) the deal goes through, there will be less competition.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 11:19:39 AM »
Drives will be cheaper in price and probably cheaper in quality.  I have always had GREAT luck with Maxtor drives and never any with Seagate.

were these all low-end or budget drives? i couldn't imagine using a maxtor drive in a mission critical server, where seagate barracudas are commonplace.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 12:45:43 PM »
Why do you say cheaper in price?  After (if) the deal goes through, there will be less competition.

First read this http://news.com.com/Seagate+to+buy+storage+rival+Maxtor/2100-1015_3-6003822.html

Seagate has two markets.  The regular consumer and the business critical market.  In the business critical market the Barracuda drives are standard and are made with higher quality standards.  Now the consumer drivers compete directly with Maxtor.  These drives from Seagate are cheaper due to their manufacturing processes (see story) but it seems like the quality of them is cheaper (compared to Maxtor) as well.   

I would suspect that most of us fall into the consumer drives.  To me the Maxtor drives are significantly more reliable than the Seagates by a mile.  I have had 3 new Seagate drives die on me within the lat 2 years before I finally gave up on them.  Right now I have a Media Server that I built with 7 of the Maxtor 300GB drives in it and have not even had a blip with one of them.

The component business is personal anyways.  What works for me probably doesn't work for you.  Maybe its an electronic karma thing.  I just know that the affordable Maxtor that I like will probably turn to shit.

zowie

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »
good points

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 02:15:46 PM »
I have no experience with affordable Seagate drives, IMO Maxtors always seem to have better pricing. all things being equal i usually go with WD.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 02:29:43 PM »
Seagates consumer drives are the quietest on the market, plus they carry the longest manufacturer warranty(5 years!)
they also tend to be a little thinner which helps them stay cooler as more air can surround the drive.

I personally have never come across a failed Seagate or Maxtor drive...WD and IBM/Deskstar(now ?Hitachi?) on the other hand, UGH!

the water's clean and innocent

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 03:23:09 PM »
IBM/Deskstar(now ?Hitachi?)

Total pieces of shit hard drives.  IBM should have been ashamed to sell those HD's. 

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 10:37:03 PM »
IBM/Deskstar(now ?Hitachi?)

Total pieces of shit hard drives.  IBM should have been ashamed to sell those HD's. 

QFT!  I had one of those die with (luckily only) 4 of my 24-bit masters about two years ago......not good times.
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 01:29:54 AM »
for my off-topic 2 cents, i've pretty much stuck with Maxtor HDs for the past 5 or so years. out of 10 HDs, 3 of them have died within 18 months of purchase (and these were all brand new drives). haven't tried Seagate, but am a little bit tempted with the 5 year warranty, i must admit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com