Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Demagnetizing Cassette Deck Heads  (Read 21454 times)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Demagnetizing Cassette Deck Heads
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »
Ray- I welcome other input based on cleaning or demagnetizing (i.e. any specific brand fluid to rec re: head cleaner or pinch roller cleaner?) hould I even touch the pinch rollers?
Thanks   
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
Once we get the project ready for upload, I will start a thread on it. it looks like 13 1982 shows, and about 40 1983's.
Any of those 83s happen to include 1983-08-26 Portland? My 3rd show, and what's on LMA and whatever else I've traded for are disappointing. I have a cass of partial 2nd set from back in the day that sounds better than any subsequent copy I've gotten a hold of. At the show I remember a number of stands running very high and very FOB.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »
Once we get the project ready for upload, I will start a thread on it. it looks like 13 1982 shows, and about 40 1983's.
Any of those 83s happen to include 1983-08-26 Portland? My 3rd show, and what's on LMA and whatever else I've traded for are disappointing. I have a cass of partial 2nd set from back in the day that sounds better than any subsequent copy I've gotten a hold of. At the show I remember a number of stands running very high and very FOB.
Jeff, we were there taping with the 201's; I have not transferred that one yet; I'll see if I can locate it just to see what I have. when we get them transferred and processed, we will keep announcing.
Some have asked me why I want to do this with all the SBD's on LMA, but I have looked at enough 82-83 shows to determine why not? Any Jim Wise show will be "better" than ours as we were usually 10-20 feet behind his crew- they were crazy out of control for those years! However, some of ours do haev some fine Beyer sweetness!
music IS love

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 08:49:24 PM »
90% isopropyl alcohol or more nothing less and certainly not rubbing alcohol, as they add all kinds of stuff to that. Use it on pinch rollers, capstan and heads.

Clean after 4 or more tapes, maybe more depending on how what the tape leaves behind. I use ear swabs.

I also have some rubber revitalized that can be used on belts and the pinch rollers. But you have to let that soak in overnight. Afterwards, I give it a light cleaning to remove any left over residue.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 09:28:54 PM »
90% isopropyl alcohol or more nothing less and certainly not rubbing alcohol, as they add all kinds of stuff to that. Use it on pinch rollers, capstan and heads.

Clean after 4 or more tapes, maybe more depending on how what the tape leaves behind. I use ear swabs.

I also have some rubber revitalized that can be used on belts and the pinch rollers. But you have to let that soak in overnight. Afterwards, I give it a light cleaning to remove any left over residue.
Thank you so much for this info. I was wondering about the pinch roller rubber stuff.  I think I will seek some out. I found these nice swabs via my job that are for tape heads, printer parts etc.
Swab its brand- http://www.swab-its.com
music IS love

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 05:45:11 AM »
Everclear works well to clean tape deck heads and a pint will only cost you a few bucks. A demagnetizer works well also, but you need to be careful when using it.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 12:38:06 AM »
I'm being surprised by many of these Beyer recordings. Back in the day, possibly due to playback limitations, we though the Nak's were "better" sounding, and we had improved our overall approach, mic and deck wise by 1983, so many of these 1982 tapes never got too much play. we always made several first gens on one pass once we got back home, and the masters were rarely, if ever, played after that.

Can't wait to hear these when you're done!
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 12:33:42 PM »
I'm being surprised by many of these Beyer recordings. Back in the day, possibly due to playback limitations, we though the Nak's were "better" sounding, and we had improved our overall approach, mic and deck wise by 1983, so many of these 1982 tapes never got too much play. we always made several first gens on one pass once we got back home, and the masters were rarely, if ever, played after that.

Can't wait to hear these when you're done!
we will post the thread and put them up on LMA (at least the ones worthy)  8)
music IS love

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 05:19:27 PM »
As was said above, 99% Isopropyl on the heads.  I won't touch pinch rollers with anything other than pinch roller cleaner here at the studio (for both my reel to reels and the cassette decks).  I've seen alcohol dry out rubber rollers and they cost too much to have rebuilt these days.  I'd recommend a dedicated pinch roller cleaner--you can find a few options via google.

Clean every few passes, as needed.  Baking cassettes from that era probably won't be needed.  Only if you see significant oxide residue and tapes are literally gumming up and stopping (at which point you've probably done some damage....)

Speaking of cassette decks, I've been building this rig for the past few weeks.  It'll be a fun one. 

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 01:23:26 AM »
Thanks for the info on baking Heath. My buddy who was part of the Jerry Moore JGB project says they had to bake several of his tapes.
Most of mine so far, almost all Maxells, do not seem to shed much.
Great photo, what is the model Tascam there, and how much do they retail for?
music IS love

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
Those are Tascam 122 mkIII - industry workhorses.  I used to have racks of Nak MR-1s, but they just prove too delicate for the amount of use they see in our facility.  The Tascams hold up much better.

Prices are all over the board depending upon condition.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
Those are Tascam 122 mkIII - industry workhorses.  I used to have racks of Nak MR-1s, but they just prove too delicate for the amount of use they see in our facility.  The Tascams hold up much better.

Prices are all over the board depending upon condition.
Thanks for the info.
music IS love

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 02:56:05 PM »
As was said above, 99% Isopropyl on the heads.  I won't touch pinch rollers with anything other than pinch roller cleaner here at the studio (for both my reel to reels and the cassette decks).  I've seen alcohol dry out rubber rollers and they cost too much to have rebuilt these days.  I'd recommend a dedicated pinch roller cleaner--you can find a few options via google.

Clean every few passes, as needed.  Baking cassettes from that era probably won't be needed.  Only if you see significant oxide residue and tapes are literally gumming up and stopping (at which point you've probably done some damage....)

Speaking of cassette decks, I've been building this rig for the past few weeks.  It'll be a fun one.
Reviving this old thread as I have been doing a bit of cassette transfer work these days and am about to do more. I just bought via Amazon dedicated pinch roller cleaner with tape head cleaner, the brand used to be the studio standard- SR Audio- has now renamed itself Audio 456.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JDG86OE/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am going to add more about head cleaning next. Anyone have favorite brands? Post them here.
music IS love

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:09 PM »

Reviving this old thread as I have been doing a bit of cassette transfer work these days and am about to do more. I just bought via Amazon dedicated pinch roller cleaner with tape head cleaner, the brand used to be the studio standard- SR Audio- has now renamed itself Audio 456.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JDG86OE/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am going to add more about head cleaning next. Anyone have favorite brands? Post them here.

Intraclean S-711 if you can find it.  Hands down the best head cleaner and banned for causing cancer.  It is a heavy chlorinated hydrocarbon.  It smells sooooo good though.   :cheers:
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline tapjunkie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »
Try American Recorder technologies.  805.527.9580 They sell the new version of the Intraclean solution head cleaner.  Look for one of those TDK cassette head
Demagnetizers that you just put into the deck and push play for several seconds.  They may have that too.  I buy my swabs for cleaning at Markertek.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:09:59 PM by tapjunkie »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com