Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Placement At Amphitheatre?  (Read 10180 times)

Offline Credoors

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mic Placement At Amphitheatre?
« on: April 15, 2004, 05:17:17 PM »
hey guys,

i scored some 8th row center tickets for dave matthews band this summer and was wondering if i need to be by a stack to turn a decent tape or if center will work out.  it is at an amphitheatre and i have never taped at a place that large.  thanks for any help!

peace,
danny

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:Mic Placement At Amphitheatre?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 05:27:04 PM »
most people that tape dave shows stack tape.  We didn't for dave and friends we were right behind the SBD, and ran, it was ok, u will get more crowd noise.  The only recomendation i would have is to probably run hypers.  as far as config, whats your favorite.  go for it.  peace.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 05:48:56 PM »
8th row center section in an ampitheatre sounds like an ORTF or DIN situation to me. Thats hella close to the stage.

Would crowd noise be more or less of a factor that close up?
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 05:52:47 PM »
From 8th row, you wont even need hypers. I really think more people should not stack tape and run stereo configs, but thats just my opinion!

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 05:58:06 PM »
I have a question with regards to that....I've always wondered this but when you do a "stack tape" how do you position the mics?   Just straight ahead or what?
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 06:00:40 PM »
Ya, the ones Ive heard (for the most part) are just A B              
l            l  
l stack   l
l______l

l  l
   mics

I think this is how it is... I dont like them. I need my stereo! Hell, I dont even like XY
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 06:01:21 PM by Alex "swampy" Herd »

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 06:07:45 PM »
yea..  there needs to be more stereo tapers, instead of stack tapers, especailly for DMB, but yea, personally i love DIN, so thats what i'd run, just run high if you can, but i'm sure they will try to shut you down if your in the middle, at DMB shows they get pissed for that.  Thats why if you get taper tix, they put you right next to the SBD.   good luck..
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 06:14:13 PM »
Yeah, I've got all 3 nights to the Gorge for DMB but not great taping seats, all row 20-ish in various sections.  Haven't decided if I am even going to try to attempt to tape those or not.

But I have some 2nd row tix to another concert at a different Amphitheatre and was thinking about what I am going to do there and if I'll try doing a stack tape or not.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 06:20:36 PM »
DMB doesn't have taper tixs I don't believe.

-Kevin

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 06:38:20 PM »
alright, first, you wont want to tape from 8th row center because you will have to run head height...everyone wants to say that DMB tapers are morons because we dont tape in the center...but the problem is that DMB runs a camera from the board and will not let your stand be above head height...and we are talking normal head height, like 5'9"....you will get too many screamers imho.  This is why everyone trades over to the stack sides, because you can run higher, get the screamers out and also, it is a mono PA (one of the best sounding PAs on the road today imo).  Now you can run as high as you want, anywhere behind the board, but quite honestly, I am not a fan of section taping (which is essentially what running behind the board is), but to each their own.

As for stereo configs, no, not most DMB tapers dont run AB...there are a few, but there are as many if not more, including myself who run a wide XY, or a DIN, because while the music may be mono, by running a stereo config you still get a pretty cool image by doing that.

Any questions, feel free to ask...there are a few of us here who have experience taping DMB and would be happy to give advice.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 06:46:02 PM by nickgregory »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 06:39:47 PM »
also, there are no taper tix for DMB...havent been for years...tape from your seat, one of the best policies in the business....only rules, dont infringe on your neighbors good time and keep the stands at head height in the center in front of the board
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 06:41:13 PM by nickgregory »

Offline Credoors

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 07:08:29 PM »
thanks for all the info...since i can't run higher than head height in the middle i will probably pass on taping and just enjoy the show.  i would trade over to the stack, but this will be the closest i have ever been at a dmb show and really want the experience; so ill just pick up someone's source.

thanks guys!

peace,
danny

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 07:19:44 PM »
thanks for all the info...since i can't run higher than head height in the middle i will probably pass on taping and just enjoy the show.  i would trade over to the stack, but this will be the closest i have ever been at a dmb show and really want the experience; so ill just pick up someone's source.

thanks guys!

peace,
danny

never a bad idea to enjoy the show...most shows are going to have a few tapers so you will get a memory...actually with DMB doing their version of instant live this year....you dont have to worry, you will be able to get a copy of the show....

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 07:38:20 PM »
nick, I have a question about taping DMB

IN raleigh last year, I had 2nd row, dead center. Would that have been too close to tape from.......would there have been a large chunk of "dead" sound coming from the center?
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 07:41:16 PM »
nick, I have a question about taping DMB

IN raleigh last year, I had 2nd row, dead center. Would that have been too close to tape from.......would there have been a large chunk of "dead" sound coming from the center?

the dead sound would have been covered up by the screaming girls when they played crash ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com