Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MiniDisc Mic Power  (Read 2608 times)

Offline RJPass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
MiniDisc Mic Power
« on: April 22, 2004, 04:52:31 PM »
Ive been taping for a while using an MD (hold the applause) and im wondering something...

I currently have this a Sound Professionals MiniBattery Box with Bass Roll off, that apperantly looks like it's discontinued now.

Should i keep what i got, or go with this:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=540&item=SP-PREAMP&type=store

The reason i ask is because sometimes i get distortion in my recordings and ive been told it's due to under powered mic's and im wondering if the Pre-Amp will gimmie MORE power but still keeping that loud thumping bass i normally have to regulate on the Bass Roll Off and raise it up with a Compressor later on.

Thanx in advance  =)

P.S.  I dont wanna hear this switch JB3, DAT, or any other lame comments that im attracting simply because im a MiniDisc taper =P

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re:MiniDisc Mic Power
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 05:49:35 PM »
They still have batt box's at sound pros:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=310&item=SP-SPSB-1&type=store

anyways, there's a good chance that the distortion is from your mics not being able to handle the high spl's of a loud show.  I'm assuming you're taping very loud music and that you're going line in on your MD recorder?  the preamp in many portable recorders is also prone to distort...

but anyway, many sound pro mini mic tapers here have had good results by having sound pro's perform the phantom power mod on their mini mics.  all the info you'll need can be find in this thread:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=17026

as far as that preamp is concerned, it will always boost the signal to line level so you can avoid the mic in (built in preamp), but it still only provides 9v power to the mics.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 11:21:15 PM »
Ive been taping for a while using an MD (hold the applause) and im wondering something...

I currently have this a Sound Professionals MiniBattery Box with Bass Roll off, that apperantly looks like it's discontinued now.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=540&item=SP-PREAMP&type=store

The reason i ask is because sometimes i get distortion in my recordings and ive been told it's due to under powered mic's and im wondering if the Pre-Amp will gimmie MORE power but still keeping that loud thumping bass i normally have to regulate on the Bass Roll Off and raise it up with a Compressor later on.

Thanx in advance  =)

P.S.  I dont wanna hear this switch JB3, DAT, or any other lame comments that im attracting simply because im a MiniDisc taper =P

I won't tell you that because you're a MiniDisc taper. I'll tell you that because DAT will make your taping life and your tapes so much better. I made the switch in October and regret not doing it earlier.
You'll see when you try it. You'll see.
Armen
P.S. You're using the 853s, right? Within the last few weeks, there has been enough discussion on taperssection regarding Sound Pro AT853s to fuck a rhinoceros. Easiest way to fix your distortion problem is to ask Schwilly about it. ;)

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 11:25:14 PM »

yea...  Stand up for your taping beleifs..  +t for the balls to love your minidisc.. I still havn't gotten rid of mine cause its too damn handy gotta have it on hand just incase..  
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 09:32:09 PM »
you are using line in and not mic in on the MD, correct? mic in often creates distortion when dealing with higher spl levels
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 12:31:31 AM »

Thanx in advance  =)

the distortion has nothing to do with a preamp

taperkat

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 12:08:14 AM »
don't try to power any mics with the MD it will distort like a 2 dollar whore on dollar day.

i've used SPbmc1 -> spsb-2 (mod) -> mdms722 since feb of 2000 and just recently got a dat (mmmmm yay).. spsb 2 is a wonderful beautiful tool

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 03:58:23 PM »
don't try to power any mics with the MD it will distort like a 2 dollar whore on dollar day.

While I love that expression, it really depends what mics you're using.  Anything with a battery box will block out the md's mic power.  Then it's stricly a matter of matching the gain levels to what works best - mic or line in.  

Another factor is the bass rolloff on the battery boxes.  It will only work if you use mic-in.  The input impedance plays a role in determining the rolloff frequency.  When you use line-in, the rolloff becomes so low it is inaudible (depending on the input impedance of the line in, it usually ends up being between 1/5 to 1/10 of the mic input).  That means a rolloff that starts at 160 Hz on mic-in only starts at 16-32 Hz on line in - inaudible.  So if you want to use the battery box rolloff, you must use mic-in, or it won't rolloff.

The last consideration is if the mic itself requires power - only the mic-in provides it.  If the mic requires power, while you may get some signal out of it, the mic won't work properly unless powered.

If a taper has a handle on that stuff, there'll be a few less 2 dollar whores in the trading circles  ;)

md can make fine recordings.  Yes, it's compressed, but I think much of the bad rap is because for $120 or so, md lets anyone get in the game and lots of those tapers aren't into learning.  No problem.  But if you want to make some good recordings, you have what you need, as long as you're not standing in front of the stacks.  Go tape at a few spots around your favortie venue and find the right one (at home, after).  You'll know for next time, then let it rip!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

taperkat

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 12:31:42 PM »
rereading this topic, I'm actually guessing you're too close to the speakers if you're getting a ton of distortion. Either that, the line in has a short (it happened to one of my units), and/or your battery in your battery box is running out. Taped a show that ended up sounding like *ass* because my battery was almost dead.

Of course, I modded my battery box, so I can't talk much about distortion b/c i never get it anymore :/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.292 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com