Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Syncing audio with video  (Read 26052 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Syncing audio with video
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
Is there a relatively simple tutorial/YT vid I could watch that can explain how to do this? I booted up iMovie and tried to sync some audio, but it didn't really get me where I needed to be...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »
Here's one way...

Three Clap Sync
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gVL-pMv1FM
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 10:18:30 PM »
Is there a relatively simple tutorial/YT vid I could watch that can explain how to do this? I booted up iMovie and tried to sync some audio, but it didn't really get me where I needed to be...
the three clap synch is helpful if you can and are planning ahead but if you are doing a concert or something that you have no control over the only real way is to try and find drum hits or something else to get it close and adjust from there.
The biggest issue you will find are different clocks on the video and audio recorders. That's why I try and run line out of my recorder directly into my camcorder if poss but since that's not always poss, you may find that after a period of time you need to split the audio and adjust it again.
The good news is that once you know how the records clocks line up you can do it faster and easier in the future
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline LIVEMUSIC752

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 09:32:48 PM »
I've been using FCP for a number of years, and am stuck on FCP7 due to lack of time in investing in learning the new version.  So...I use Plural Eyes to handle a lot of the syncing.  Another note, if you shoot a video screen, or from a great distance, the audio will of course be out of sync.
how much delay would you need?

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
Another note, if you shoot a video screen, or from a great distance, the audio will of course be out of sync.

It depends on the distance.  You just have to adjust it frame-by-frame until the video and audio are in sync.  The drummer is always a good point of reference.  Just adjust until the drummer's stick hitting the drum or symbol is in perfect sync with your audio.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 08:32:04 AM »
I've been using FCP for a number of years, and am stuck on FCP7 due to lack of time in investing in learning the new version.  So...I use Plural Eyes to handle a lot of the syncing.  Another note, if you shoot a video screen, or from a great distance, the audio will of course be out of sync.

The sound lag/delay is approximately 1ms/ft.  In the back row of the 200 level in an arena that comes out to 4-6 frames (at 30fps) depending on how stage is set up, catwalks etc.

I typically correct for delay in both stage shots and screen (often they will have different lags).

I started with iMovie then moved to FCE.  For the past several years I've been using FCPX.  Both transitions (from iMovie to FCE, then onto FCPX) were difficult for me.  After failing with printed books and online tutorials, both times I had to resort to taking One-On-One sessions at my local Apple Store.  After a few sessions of each though I was up and running.

I love FCPX now.  The audio/video sync feature alone has saved me countless hours of time.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline guitard

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 11:52:10 AM »
I typically correct for delay in both stage shots and screen (often they will have different lags).

Certain bands are really bad about out of sync screens - and Black Sabbath has to be the worst.  I was working on a recent show a few days ago and the screen is 7 frames behind the live action on stage.  So when the drummer has the drum sticks extended all the way in the air to prepare to come smashing down on the drums, you here the drum get hit before he even starts to lower his arms.  So if you have a shot that has both of a lot of screen shots along with a lot of close stage shots - you have to make a choice and sync to one of the other.  I usually choose to sync to the stage action.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
So if you have a shot that has both of a lot of screen shots along with a lot of close stage shots - you have to make a choice and sync to one of the other.  I usually choose to sync to the stage action.

I sync to both separately.  First I'll sync to stage action.  Then I'll figure the lag between stage and screen, and offset all the screen portions accordingly.  It's a pain when there's lots of shifting from stage to screen but I do it because I can't stand any part out of sync.  If anything to me the screen being out of sync is worse because often those are close zoom-ins whereas from my typical seat location (far end of arena--20x zoom isn't even buying me full head to toe) the delay isn't as noticeable.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
So if you have a shot that has both of a lot of screen shots along with a lot of close stage shots - you have to make a choice and sync to one of the other.  I usually choose to sync to the stage action.

I sync to both separately.  First I'll sync to stage action.  Then I'll figure the lag between stage and screen, and offset all the screen portions accordingly.  It's a pain when there's lots of shifting from stage to screen but I do it because I can't stand any part out of sync.  If anything to me the screen being out of sync is worse because often those are close zoom-ins whereas from my typical seat location (far end of arena--20x zoom isn't even buying me full head to toe) the delay isn't as noticeable.

I do exactly the same for the same reasons
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline guitard

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 07:14:36 PM »

If I'm working with a full screen shot, then I do this.  But quite often a shot includes both stage and screen, which forces you to make a choice.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 08:13:29 PM »

If I'm working with a full screen shot, then I do this.  But quite often a shot includes both stage and screen, which forces you to make a choice.
i hear ya, for me I usually do whichever is more prevalent, the stage or screen. That way if people do say it's off it is less time then it is on synch
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
I'm trying to synch some video I shot with the audio I recorded separately of a Leftover Salmon show from last week. Someone yelled "woo!" right at the beginning, so I synched it up with that, and it looked pretty good, but by the end of the clip it was at least a second or two off. The clip is about 20 minutes long. I'm using Adobe Premiere. Are they not synched because of the different sampling rates of video vs. audio? I shot it on a Samsung Galaxy 6. It's not awesome video; I was doing the synching for fun more than anything. Any ideas?
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline willndmb

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 12:26:12 PM »
I'm trying to synch some video I shot with the audio I recorded separately of a Leftover Salmon show from last week. Someone yelled "woo!" right at the beginning, so I synched it up with that, and it looked pretty good, but by the end of the clip it was at least a second or two off. The clip is about 20 minutes long. I'm using Adobe Premiere. Are they not synched because of the different sampling rates of video vs. audio? I shot it on a Samsung Galaxy 6. It's not awesome video; I was doing the synching for fun more than anything. Any ideas?
imo synching from a vocal is harder then a drum hit.
Even that though, you can move a frame hear and there and still not be exact after some time due to different recording clocks on each device. (although sample rate can cause some issues since video likes 48 better I have found)
If you feel your original dubb mark is accurate, the only real thing you can do is "reset" it after a few songs and so on.

the only way to 100% not have drift is to record with the devices linked (which you can't do on a phone) or (in the case of a audio mix for example) have a multi channel device that records using the same clock

Offline guitard

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 08:41:27 PM »
the only way to 100% not have drift is to record with the devices linked (which you can't do on a phone) or (in the case of a audio mix for example) have a multi channel device that records using the same clock

With modern digital equipment, one hour video and audio recordings are normally exactly the same length; occasionally off by one or two 1/30th of a second video frames.  If it's off by a second or two, there's definitely something wrong.

The easy fix is simply to stretch or crunch the audio by the required length to make them both match.  I do all my editing in Sony Vegas Video, and it's really easy to do.  I don't know how it's done in Adobe Premier though.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 10:23:46 PM »

With modern digital equipment, one hour video and audio recordings are normally exactly the same length; occasionally off by one or two 1/30th of a second video frames.  If it's off by a second or two, there's definitely something wrong.

The easy fix is simply to stretch or crunch the audio by the required length to make them both match.  I do all my editing in Sony Vegas Video, and it's really easy to do.  I don't know how it's done in Adobe Premier though.
i tried this a couple times in FCP and could never figure it out, it always "distorted the audio" (for lack of a better description) so maybe I was not doing it right

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com