Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone doing an optical mod on the SBM-1?  (Read 3023 times)

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
anyone doing an optical mod on the SBM-1?
« on: March 14, 2007, 04:43:32 PM »
I'm sometimes running ck61 > JKLAbs ECMS-22 > h120 and would like to throw in a SBM-1 in the mix.

what do you think?

Tommy

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: anyone doing an optical mod on the SBM-1?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 06:34:25 PM »
I'm sometimes running ck61 > JKLAbs ECMS-22 > h120 and would like to throw in a SBM-1 in the mix.

what do you think?

Tommy
i think you should forget about the sbm1, sell the h120 and buy an r1.

Tim, depends on what you are taping and how you tape it.  The R1 is impractical for stealthing, IHMO.  The H120 with the remote fuctioning as a bit bucket is the way to go.  The remote will allow you to dial in the H120 perfectly, you will achieve maximum usuage of every bit with it.  BUT, I do not know the ECMS-22 well, and if it has a mic level out rather than a line level out, then Tommy should add a Denecke AD20 or a dual mod SBM (mic and line mods).  The R1 is probably best suited for taping allowed since you gotta take out of your pocket to adjust levels.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:52:37 AM »
The R1 is probably best suited for taping allowed since you gotta take out of your pocket to adjust levels.

Isn't this pretty much true for all equipment..? at least if you wanna see the levels accurately..
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 03:56:00 AM »
The R1 is probably best suited for taping allowed since you gotta take out of your pocket to adjust levels.

Isn't this pretty much true for all equipment..? at least if you wanna see the levels accurately..

Nope,  With the H120 or the PCM-M1 (D100), all you need is the remote hanging out of your pocket or waistpack to see the levels.  This is the true convienence of using these units.  In addition, you can view the levels without dropping your head to view it, there by preventing phase issues on your recording.  The real beauty of the H120 remote is that it is backlit and quite long.  The display scale can be altered to the range you are recording.  The size of the bars can be adjusted, length of the peak hold, peak clipping (by backlight), the display can also be set to display inverse (white on black background).  After a show or two, I learned that the peak meters on the H120 are more accurate than the M1's!  Nothing can beat these units in the pit..... 

spreadheadtom

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:25:39 AM »
tommy, are you using the h120 to stealth?

yep....main reason is for stealth purposes and as a storage device at festivals.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 09:26:25 AM »
Why not just buy a 7-pin-> optical cable.....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

spreadheadtom

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:20:03 AM »
Why not just buy a 7-pin-> optical cable.....

I don't own a SBM-1 yet......wanted to pick one up and get modded.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com