Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mono/Mono signals to Stereo and how to...  (Read 2004 times)

Offline deviant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a
    • RyanAdamsArchive
Mono/Mono signals to Stereo and how to...
« on: December 21, 2004, 07:52:21 PM »
Thought I'd post here as well. It's more an interconnect question, so...

I was given the ok to tape a band, but there was some stipulations. They will only give me a mono board feed (it's mono anyway) and I have to tape it from the audience as well, which will also be mono since the board is. I have an M1, dual female XLR to mini, and stereo mics to mini. Since the board feed will be mono, what I'd like to do is take that mono signal from the board using one of the female XLRs and send it to either the left or right channels on the DAT, then take one of the signals from my mics using either the left or right one and send that signal to the other channel on the DAT. That would give me a mono audience and mono board, which I would then mix the two later into a stereo(mono) recording.

I think I know what I need, but I'm looking for anyone elses opinion since I'm unsure of a couple things and I'd like to keep the signals as pure as possible, not going to thu too many adapters.

Based on what I have, I believe I need a Y adapter that is dual mono female to single male stereo. What I'm not sure of, will the mono plug only pull from the left or right signal connector on a stereo male plug, or does it connect with any or all parts of the plug, not differentiating between the left or right connection.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks!

Joel

hexyjones

Re: Mono/Mono signals to Stereo and how to...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 02:14:08 AM »
[sarcasm]This was answered in the other thread...dont you trust us?[/sarcasm]

Look...M1 takes an 1/8 inch stereo in...

Get one of those cords that has red and white male RCAs on one end and a male 1/8 stereo on the other end...

Plug the 1/8 inch end into your deck...take the white end and use whatever series of adapters you need to connect the mic...take the red end and use whatever series of adapters you need to connect the board...

If you want to be super smart about it...run the mic to peak...and drag some old cassette deck along,  and use one of its channels to control the SBD feed...that way you have at least a chance of recording both channels without overloading one or the other ( I think...think the m1 levels are not seperate...ie one knob...?)

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
Re: Mono/Mono signals to Stereo and how to...
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 06:27:14 PM »

I'd run this on 2 decks.  While the PA is going to be mono, if the club is small, you'll only be getting vocals and maybe some kick and snare on the board feed - while the ROOM ITSELF will be quasi-stereo from the sound coming off the stage - so you will still get some stereo imaging from the stage.  Or better yet, do a STAGE RECORDING with the stereo mic.  It doesn't really matter if the board feed is only on one channel.

Blend it in post and you should get a fairly decent finished product...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com