Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Can anyone suggest an upgrade from Church CA-14 cards?

(1/5) > >>

jj69:
Looking for the next step up from Church CA-14 cards.  Something more durable, to be used particularly for stealth. 

Requirements: it must be the same size or smaller than CA-14 (small enough to be clipped to a shirt collar), and should be able to run off a simple 12V battery box into a PCM-A10 without the need for a preamp (for loud rock shows). 

FYI, I've had bad experiences with AT 943 cards (steep bass rolloff). 

What else it out there worth using? 

pillowman:
If you want to stay in the lavalier category I would go with a pair of AT853 mics.
For me the build quality is better and you have the advantage of interchangeable caps,
so you can add different caps for different situations. I think currently cards, hypercards and omnis are available.
for loud amplified rock stuff you need a pair with 4,7k mod or low sense mod however it will be called from the seller  :smash:
good luck and happy taping !
pillowman

ero3030:
Go to the LMA and check shows out at venues u like to attend.   Check out different sources.  Something will sound good to your ears.  It's all about your preferences

guitard:

--- Quote from: pillowman on August 22, 2020, 01:44:52 AM ---If you want to stay in the lavalier category I would go with a pair of AT853 mics.  For me the build quality is better and you have the advantage of interchangeable caps, so you can add different caps for different situations. I think currently cards, hypercards and omnis are available.  For loud amplified rock stuff you need a pair with 4,7k mod or low sense mod however it will be called from the seller  :smash:
good luck and happy taping !
pillowman

--- End quote ---

I bumped up from CA-11s to the AT853 cards with the 4.7k mod and was really pleased with the build quality (solid and sturdy) of the mics and how my tapes sound.

I got the AT853s new as part of a package deal (cards, 4.7k Y-cable, ext. cable, etc.) from TTS member tgakidis (Ted) in the yard sale four years ago for $200.  The cost has probably gone up since then, but I mention it as a reference point.

johnmuge:
I agree the AT 853 w/ 4.7k mod is a great stealth setup for the price. I was pulling really nice recordings going straight into a Marantz PMD-620 with no battery box. Very stealthy and super easy to run.  I think the Nevaton MCE 400's sound better but they require phantom power and have full size XLR's but the mics are tiny. All we need now is live music to record.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version