Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NEWB microphone question  (Read 5258 times)

Offline millhouse412

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ahh-ooo-mmmm
NEWB microphone question
« on: January 10, 2005, 08:13:19 AM »
So i am ready to buy a setup finally. I will be running the mics through a oade UA-5 digi mod (this pre-amp has been suggested to me if anyone else thinks i should maybe look at somwething different let me know) down to a d-8. I am looking for a pair of mics for around 2 bills because i am spending most my budget on the pre-amp. Also, what cables should i look at and will the phantom power on teh UA-5 also power my mics??what about powering the DAT as well? thanks all

dan
Oktava Mk-012>Ua-5>(D8/Jb3)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: NEWB microphone question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 08:20:12 AM »
Phatom power only powers mics, and it will power them.   THe power for the DAT is a totally different situation.  As far as mics, for $200, maybe you could find some used AKG C1000's? 

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 08:23:26 AM »
you can use any XLR's, but with anything, the more $ you spend, the higher quality you'll get.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline millhouse412

• Taperssection Regular
  • ahh-ooo-mmmm
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 08:34:27 AM »
so the battery pack coming with the ua-5 will power mics....cool. So another power source for the dat...gotcha. Does everyone think this is a good pre-amp to go with??? also any info on the cables i need or are they mic dependent??

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 08:39:22 AM »
so the battery pack coming with the ua-5 will power mics....cool. So another power source for the dat...gotcha. Does everyone think this is a good pre-amp to go with??? also any info on the cables i need or are they mic dependent??

That'll preamp will do you fine!  IN the remote power section - look for the wallmart battery thread- they talk about how to power that using batteries in the field.  I've never used a DAT, so I can't really speak to issues of powering it...  as far as cables go, it is going to depend on what the microphones used, but most standard, open rig mics in your price range will use standard XLR cables, which have a huge range of price (and value...) - you can use the cheapest, but you get what you pay for, ya know?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline millhouse412

• Taperssection Regular
  • ahh-ooo-mmmm
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 08:49:06 AM »
yeah i hear yah....thats why i think im going to spend som eloot on the pre-amp and nice cables and get cheaper mics that i can trade out later when i have some extra loot. thanks alot man

dan

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 09:00:31 AM »
yeah i hear yah....thats why i think im going to spend som eloot on the pre-amp and nice cables and get cheaper mics that i can trade out later when i have some extra loot. thanks alot man

dan

FWIW - most people say that the mics are the most important item in the signal chain!

;)

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline millhouse412

• Taperssection Regular
  • ahh-ooo-mmmm
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 09:14:18 AM »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 09:19:26 AM »
also i just found this pretty good deal (in my mind maybe it is not)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/271132/sourceid=qIZwQeKMfY3BAToTiXkB/befree_site_id=0020583305

I really don't know what a good price is for them new... I'd check out the yard sale and see if anyone has them for sale.  That doesn't seem too bad though?!

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline millhouse412

• Taperssection Regular
  • ahh-ooo-mmmm
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 09:22:09 AM »
also i think that running a nice set of mics throught the a/d converter in my d8 wouldn't be worth it. I think i might be better off getting the pre-amp and the nicer mics a little later

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 09:23:34 AM »
also i think that running a nice set of mics throught the a/d converter in my d8 wouldn't be worth it. I think i might be better off getting the pre-amp and the nicer mics a little later

Yeah, you bring up good points- same things I've thought about.  If its all going to be upgraded at some point, then you are really only looking at order of purchase....

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 12:59:03 PM »
also i just found this pretty good deal (in my mind maybe it is not)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/271132/sourceid=qIZwQeKMfY3BAToTiXkB/befree_site_id=0020583305

i have seen these go for about a $100 to $150 off that but that was uesd so new i think thats ok deal but go look on ebay and the yard sale

heres some going for 139.99 buy it now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=3773754442&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Raphael
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 01:04:23 PM by setboy »

Offline learning_towalk

• Taperssection Member
  • Bass.For.Life
    • Phishhook
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 01:09:13 PM »
Superlux would be a good low price mic
ADK SC-T>Wmod UA5>JB3>SVU-1

bass rig:
Peavey Cirrus 6 Redwood>Traynor YBA200>Schroeder 1210

urobouros

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 02:35:05 PM »
Superlux would be a good low price mic

Yup,  check out the SMK-H8K.  It's a matched set of mic with cardiod capsules.  It also includes two shockmounts, windscreens, and a vertical bar.  You can get omni or hypercardioid capsules for these guys, though they are admittedly a little hard to find.  Check the team 'Lux thread if you're curious.  They usually sell on ebay for around $150 shipped.

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 03:05:14 PM »
another vote for superlux - over the C1000.  there was a set or two
in the yard sale recently.  the ability to use interchangeable caps

the C4's have gotten a lot of good press lately - too not sure
how much they are, but close.
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com