Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: post processing  (Read 2180 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
post processing
« on: January 13, 2005, 11:11:36 AM »
how many of you guys do at least some post-processing of your recordings?  some EQ maybe, add a bit of reverb on occasion, use the infamous reverb-removal plugin, etc?  what kinds of editing do you typically find yourself doing?  what software do you use for post editing? 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: post processing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 11:18:04 AM »
I always did as little as possible, nothing more than a little lowend rolloff and only when absolutely needed.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jnorman34

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 11:38:37 AM »
hi tim - do you dump your tracks into a computer?  what software? 

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 11:41:04 AM »
Sometimes I run it through the waves L2 limiter and compress it very slightly (like 2 dB max).  Other than that just your standard fade in/out at the beginning and end of the show.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 11:45:15 AM »
hi tim - do you dump your tracks into a computer? what software?

wavelab

but I've used Cool Edit Pro in the past as well....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 11:49:07 AM »
other than fades at beginning/end of set/show the only processing I do is raising volume or maybe a tiny bit of compression(like 2-3db at 2:1) if the levels are too dynamic.

the water's clean and innocent

hexyjones

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 11:59:01 AM »
There has to be something seriously wrong with the recording to get me to do anything beyond normalize (maximize peak) and fade.

As I've gotten better running my current setup, I find myself normalizing less and less...so just fades mostly these days....

Now - some of my older cassette mastered stuff...that needs some help!

Im working on Buddy Guy 11-8-90 State College, PA VFW - an AUD stealth job...the problem - Buddy plays LOUD and uses huge dynamic shifts...there are a few parts where I cant even tell if he's playing. (and I was like 12 feet from the stage!) This makes this tape hard to listen to...you have to keep it cranked and just deal with the loud guitar. If you adjust it for the guitar solos...you can barely hear him on the slow quiet vocal verses....

So some sort of compression is in order...I tried using the normalize with RMS (rather than peak) - that seemed to approach what I was looking for - but I'm going to try a few other approaches...

I dont know if every night is like this show...but this "guy"  ;D is just off the hook...I remember thinking..."This must be what it was like to see Hendrix..."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com