Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: question for team neumann  (Read 3093 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
question for team neumann
« on: January 13, 2005, 11:18:41 AM »
i have run km184s, akg c481s, DPA 4011s, schoeps cmc64s, and a variety of other mics over the years.  i am using 8 channels of millennia media HV3 preamps.  i am considering moving to a simpler, more portable solution, and may select km140/150/131 as my primary mic system.  however, my experience with km184s was that they were rather bright (even sometimes a bit harsh) and were also a bit thin in the diffuse field (micing at a distance).  the km184s tended to work better with neutral or warmish preamps like the HV3s or even vintech-neve copies.  other, flatter mics, like the c481s, DPAs and schoeps, seem to work fine with neutral to brightish pres like the grace V3. 

if i wind up going with a km100 setup, what preamps have you guys found that really match up well with the 140/150 or 131 capsules?  for those of you who have used both the km184s and the km140s, do you notice any particular difference in the way they sound?  thanks.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: question for team neumann
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 11:22:50 AM »
I really like the Oade m148 preamp with the small diaphragm neumann's... just enough coloration to tone down the somewhat bright characteristics of the mics. I think m148->V3 would be great...

lots of folks on here run km100 series straight into a V3 and love the results, I just happen to like a little more colored sound.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline neumannkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 11:25:29 AM »
Ive always like the Sonosax SX-M2 with the 140s. The sax definitely has the ability to warm the sound up possibly the reason why it matches well with the neumanns. Ive also heard a good amount of tapes with the warm mod UA-5 and 184's and have been rather impressed with the pairing. I think Rob C is the taper Im thinking of that runs that set up some times. His stuff can easily be found on the archive as well as some of my tapes.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 04:32:20 PM »
FWIW, I really enjoyed SKM140s > V3, I didn't find the combo too bright at all.  'Course, I also really liked SKM140 > V2 > modSBM-1 as it added a touch of color.  And while I really liked the 140s, I find the 150s (hypers) too thin for my ears.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 06:58:18 PM »
When I was running 140s I used them with a Minime and V3 and looking back I prefer the 140 > Minime combination.  Adding a little bit of warmth to them really improves the sound to my ears.  Also I don't care for the ak50 caps, if you're looking for a modular system with hyper and cards I'd get Schoeps instead.

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 10:43:03 PM »
my fav is the Aeta PSP-2 with the neumanns. damn good sounding combo.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 01:10:15 AM »
And while I really liked the 140s, I find the 150s (hypers) too thin for my ears.

me too, AK50 caps are way too bright for my tastes.

I like the AK40 caps but feel like they are a bit loose and floppy/thumpy in the low end when taping PA systems. Other than that I think they are great mics.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 12:05:13 PM »
Ive always like the Sonosax SX-M2 with the 140s. The sax definitely has the ability to warm the sound up possibly the reason why it matches well with the neumanns. Ive also heard a good amount of tapes with the warm mod UA-5 and 184's and have been rather impressed with the pairing. I think Rob C is the taper Im thinking of that runs that set up some times. His stuff can easily be found on the archive as well as some of my tapes.

Yeah the Sonosax rocks.

I really dig my sax>modsbm1 combo. I didn't like the v2>modsbm1 or the v3 tapes I heard, to bright for my ears. I would be curious to hear an oade pre in front or even the minime. Anyone ?
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 12:12:07 PM »
I like the AK40 caps but feel like they are a bit loose and floppy/thumpy in the low end when taping PA systems. Other than that I think they are great mics.

With any preamp? 

I'm just asking because I noticed the low end tighten up when I swithced to a Grace preamp.

however, my experience with km184s was that they were rather bright (even sometimes a bit harsh) and were also a bit thin in the diffuse field (micing at a distance).

if i wind up going with a km100 setup, what preamps have you guys found that really match up well with the 140/150 or 131 capsules? for those of you who have used both the km184s and the km140s, do you notice any particular difference in the way they sound? thanks.

I've used KM184s and KM1xx.  After I switched to the 140s, I did find the sound to be more silky compared to the 184s  (don't know how else to describe it).  Maybe that is the harshness you describe in the 184s.  I've talked to some others who made the switch and they reported better bass response with the 140s but I've have had a hard time isolating that in my tapes.  It may be there but I'm just not hearing it.  In general, I think that the biggest value of the 140 over 184 is the actives and ability to swap caps.  I've pulled some really nice tapes with the 184s.

I would agree that they can produce a thin recording at a distance (comparing my lawn tapes verses FOB tapes).   But I always perceived the sound on the lawn to be thin compared to FOB and never thought to blame the mics.

I'm another neumann+grace fluffer.  I really like the KM143+V3 combination up front.  I don't find them to be bright but that may be my playback system or my ears or personal taste.   It's also possible that I record bass heavy sources and that balances and brightness.  Several people have mentioned that they like to use the HPF on the V3 and I never do.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.281 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com