Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG sound  (Read 15001 times)

Offline geoff piper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
Re:AKG sound
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2003, 05:11:11 PM »
I ran my 391's analog first :o Then switched to DAT with a Zefiro in-box for a few months before I replaced them with 480's (which I also ran with the Zefiro for a while) then changed to a 248 & it has been nothing but money since then ;D The 390's are nice but the 480's are SOOOOOOOO much better, it's scary.
I think I'm going to go P mod UA-5... due to the fact that people say the 391's lack more highs than lows... Then deck, cables and stand and im set  ;D Also is the P mod UA-5 good for when i eventually upgrade to the 481's?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2003, 05:52:32 PM »
I have never tried the UA5 but Nick ran it for a while, it sounds nice & should do the job rather nicely if & when you upgrade. Taping isn't about spending money, it's about having fun. No matter what you run for a rig you should be having fun, if not quit. I do it for the love of taping, not to see how quick I can rack up more bills.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2003, 07:36:09 PM »
Still unfortunate, tho, that Oade doesn't sell pure stock UA-5's...  

The stock ua-5 won't work as a field unit without the oade digimod done to it. they sell those for 350.00

digimod - 350.00
w-mod  -  500.00
p-mod  - 525.00
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2003, 11:26:57 PM »
Still unfortunate, tho, that Oade doesn't sell pure stock UA-5's...  

The stock ua-5 won't work as a field unit without the oade digimod done to it. they sell those for 350.00

digimod - 350.00
w-mod  -  500.00
p-mod  - 525.00

This is all true, however I was able to buy mine brand new (unmodified) for $240. Now, when the time comes that Doug decides he's going to start modding used units I'll be ready for the P or W or whatever he's doing to them then.

FWIW, it works quite fine for me as a field unit since I tape to laptop! Also, it works unmodded as a pre, just doesn't do A>D standalone without Doug modifying it.

For those of you good with a solder iron and nerves, I've seen a website that does a circuit board comparison between the stock & d-mod UA-5. Pretty sure googling for 'UA-5 dissection' will get you there.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com