Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help recording lectures w/ lavalier (sp) mics?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
help recording lectures w/ lavalier (sp) mics?
« on: November 18, 2003, 06:07:52 PM »
Dear All,

Trying to figure out a solution to record voice lectures. My girlfriends mom is starting a company that specializes in teaching parents to care for their kids. She will be giving lectures at auditoriums, and various venues around the country, and will tape them for future sale. We need a simple, relatively inexpensive solution to record these lectures in high quality format. I was thinking something along the lines of a clip on mic for her shirt, that transmits to a box that will send the signal to a d8 or something. I would like it recorded on DAT so that it can easily be transferred to CD.

Any help and pointers are appreciated... Advice on which gear (mics), pres, etc. will be needed is a special bonus.

Thanks in advance....
Ian Stone
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:help recording lectures w/ lavalier (sp) mics?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 06:51:51 PM »
I would think a simple mics->batery box would be more than efficient for this type of thing.  You could even use a boundry layer mic and just set it in front of her.  Lavalier wise, AT makes tons of them, including many wireless versions.  Just type in lavalier mic in google and look at them.  I think the decision will probably come down to price as opposed to performance, as there is not much difference in these mics for just a single voice and zero audienece noise.  Cards would be the way to go.  I kinda like the boundry idea, but it ias more for idl, or long-distance learning type stuff.  

D

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 03:51:19 PM »
I would think AT831's & the other sound pro's at mics would work great. mics>batt box>D8.

You could put both on the T-bar right in front of her on the lecture stand.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 07:31:13 PM »
Don't use omnis.  Too much room noise.  
I tape many lectures for commercial release.  I prefer a shotgun on a boom if the speaker stays put at the podium.

But you said simple and relatively inexpensive, so in that case a lav is your best bet.  However, lavs don't give you the most natural sound, if that's important to you, because of where they're placed.

Another options is -- surprise -- a podium mic.  I don't own any, but i've found in PA setups I've used they can potentially provide very good comprehensibility, although not that "NPR sound" I strive for.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 11:29:53 AM by zowie »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com