Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: show taping question  (Read 2664 times)

Offline vansmack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
show taping question
« on: November 21, 2003, 06:53:08 PM »
For a stealth recording  would the quality of a Sharp 722 w/core sounds be ok?  Better than core sounds w/ nomad 3.0 or sony md?

cpclark

Re:show taping question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 09:11:22 PM »
im thinkin your lookin at about the same quality with all 3 the a/d's in all 3 of those units are crap when it comes down to it, it will sound okay i guess, but nothing too special

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 09:12:41 PM »
they all have a/d and preamps that are not highly thought of.  It's your prefernce really.  MDs are smaller, but you can do quicker transfers with the jb3.

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 11:19:30 PM »
Sp the quality would not be good enough to put on a trading site? How much additional would i need to spend to make acceptable quality? Thanks

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 11:24:12 PM »
No, do it .. listen to it, if you enjoy it, its trade able ... just make sure it has source info. With proper placement that could sound ok. for my $0.02 i'd say the A>D is realy not THAT bad in these units, but those pre-amps ... icky! But you gotta start somewhere ;D
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 11:29:36 PM »
yes, you have to start somewhere.  These units can DEFINITELY produce tradable stuff, but once you have taped for a few years (months for some of us) you start to get anal about the quality of your equipment and you'll want to upgrade to DAT or HD with external a/d and preamps

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2003, 01:00:37 AM »
I ran some sound professionals binaurals (which are of lower quality than CS's) into a sony MD player (net MD-n707), and people who didn't tape shows themselves were always pretty impressed with how they sounded.

It all changed for me though when I heard what Gefell's through a preamp (don't remember what it was) going into a dat sounded like... and then I haven't been content since...

become a gear slut...

My advice: Nomad over MD.  Personal preferrence though.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2003, 01:38:14 AM »
My old rig was just CSB's > Sharp MDMS722.

I've made tapes that sounded FANTASTIC. Search db.etree.org for Spiritualized at the Fox Theater in Boulder in 2002. A few people mention that show as the best sounding AUD Spiritualized show they've heard.

Granted these people aren't tapers so they aren't as anal about sound quality. But you still can pull some pretty decent tapes if you stand in the sweet spot.

I too would suggest the JB3 over the MD, but I haven't tried a stealth recording with the CSB's > JB3. I understand if you do analog in on the JB3 that it doesn't sound to great compared to using the optical in. I dig the easy transfer though.

Good luck,
MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2003, 06:06:42 PM »
If are also keeping cost in mind, don't forget that you need a standalone home md deck if you are going the 722 route.  otherwise you won't be transfering digitally.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com