Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Gear Question  (Read 3365 times)

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
New Gear Question
« on: February 18, 2004, 11:34:50 AM »
So I ran my mp2 > mod sbm-1 this past weekend for the first time.  I haven't had a chance to really listen to the tape much yet, but from what I've heard I'm pretty happy.  

My question is about the levels.  It was a Howie Day show in a medium sized club, and it all seemed fairly loud.  I knew I wanted to run the sbm-1 as open as I could, but I had to turn the mp2 way down.  It felt wrong to run the mp2 as low as I was, so I ended up running the mp2 at 9 o'clock and the sbm-1 at number 5 to avoid running over on the sbm-1.  Is this pretty normal?  Should I have jacked the sbm-1 to 10 and just kept the mp2 as low as possible?

Thanks,

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re:New Gear Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 12:20:11 PM »
do whatever sounds best to you.  what you did was add (too much) gain at the MP2 only to remove it at the SBM1.  although maybe not the "cleanest" way to do it, you may find the coloration of the MP2 run at higher gain sounds better.  If you can, maybe switch methods between sets at a show, 1st set run MP2-high SBM1-low, 2nd set reverse and run MP2-low SBM1-high.

craig.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 12:35:10 PM »
I run this and I run the MP-2 as low as possible, with the level knob only coming off of all the way left to balance out the mics if they are not receiving equal signals so to speak.  Then I run the SBM anywhere from 5-9. and I love the results.  I have not tested it like Craig suggested though running the MP-2 higher and lower on the SBM at this point.

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 12:46:24 PM »
do whatever sounds best to you.  what you did was add (too much) gain at the MP2 only to remove it at the SBM1.  although maybe not the "cleanest" way to do it, you may find the coloration of the MP2 run at higher gain sounds better.  If you can, maybe switch methods between sets at a show, 1st set run MP2-high SBM1-low, 2nd set reverse and run MP2-low SBM1-high.

craig.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing between the Stereophincs set and Howie's.  I had the mp2 up around 12 o'clock or so and the sbm1 much lower for the stereophonics.  Then I caved and ran the mp2 much lower during Howie.  I'll be taping someone else in a few weeks, so I'll exagerate the differences at that show to listen to after the fact.

Thanks,

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 01:12:57 PM »
play around with it Hoyt, do whatever you want and whatever sounds good to you. I know I'm guilty of saying that things should be run this way or that but if it works for you go for it. Playing around and experimenting will help you understand your gear that much better and that's important. Good luck...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 01:55:09 PM »
only use as much gain as needed. If you need little on the dial, than thats all you need.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Chapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »
I rarely ever run the MP2 over 2, usually closer 0.   I've not ever ran it real hot, but folks say the signal decreases in quality when running it hot.  
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 10:29:08 PM »
I used to run mp2->d7 and would run my d7 at about 8 or 9 on the rec level and run the mp2 pretty low (about 9 oclock)   I did this for the sam reason Craig mentioned...adding gain only to take it away doesn't make sense.

I liked it YMMV.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 11:04:44 PM »
no sense adding gain at the mp-2 only to attenuate it at the sbm.  I'd run the sony at 9-10 and adjust with the mp-2.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

cpclark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 12:48:53 AM »
no sense adding gain at the mp-2 only to attenuate it at the sbm.  I'd run the sony at 9-10 and adjust with the mp-2.

i ran this combo and ditto what lee said, run the sbm at 9 or 10 and the mp-2 to balance the signal

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 04:35:48 AM »
i might have an opportunity to test this out this week.

mp-2 > M1  (m1 is said to have similar sound to the stock sbm-1)

2 bands playing 2 sets each, I'll relay the results.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 04:35:04 PM »
I run the mp2>sbm1, and unless a show is very quiet and I need the extra gain for acceptable levels, I run my mp2 all the way down, and turn up the sbm1 as much as possible, usually around 8.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com