Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 input woes  (Read 114567 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09 input woes
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2006, 01:13:03 AM »
In other words, there is NO 5 volt supply inside the R-09.  Power for mic volts is ~2.5-3 volts ONLY.  Whomever is giving out this 5 volts information doesn't know what they're talking about.  Raising the voltage of circuitry designed for 3.3 volts usually results in breaking stuff and would be an error in judgement IMO.
That's what I meant. There is only one rail for 2.5-3.x volts which powers the chips as well as the mics. So tweaking the DC/DC pump is a nono.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2006, 07:20:09 PM »
Moke,

Can you post some pictures?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2006, 06:05:40 AM »
Reducing the input jack collar clearance to zero does help keep that section from moving, and this would seem to secure this interface portion from motion under sideways applied stress from large plugs and thick cords. 

However, this will NOT keep torque from large plugs from acting to 'swivel' the back-body of the jack.  Securing just the chassis clearance interface acts to secure a fulcrum only, and will not reduce 'fulcrum-like' acting stresses that tend to pull pads off the board.  Combination of moke's interface shrink application AND gluing down the jack's body to the board seems only way to best secure these surface-only mounted jacks from moving from large plug induced stress.

Best solution is when or if Edirol finds the correct jacks to fit the drilled mounting holes in the board.  This would allow us to REPLACE these jacks with ones the board was designed to accept and making gluing the jack's body to the board most secure and robust with NO need to secure the chassis clearance interface as Moke suggests.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2006, 10:20:43 AM »
For anyone interested, I was curious about this below cable and searched the Sonic site and found a picture of it , with price.  See attached

Thanks Guy!

I do supply a short (10 inch length) 'minijack extension cable' that relieves the deck's jack of wear and stress damage liability.   And most never unplug the extension from the deck as you suggest. 

dorrcoq

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2006, 04:00:38 PM »
For anyone interested, I was curious about this below cable and searched the Sonic site and found a picture of it , with price.  See attached

Thanks Guy!

I do supply a short (10 inch length) 'minijack extension cable' that relieves the deck's jack of wear and stress damage liability.   And most never unplug the extension from the deck as you suggest. 

I bought one of these from Len (Guy) - works great so far.

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2006, 04:57:19 PM »
you could build one for like $3
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »
For $25, what does it really save you?  You still have a 1/8" connector going into an 1/8" connector, no?

dorrcoq

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2006, 01:21:57 AM »
For $25, what does it really save you?  You still have a 1/8" connector going into an 1/8" connector, no?

Well, Guy says "relieves the deck's jack of wear and stress damage liability".  Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but no problesm with mine so far.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2006, 01:58:28 AM »
About 4000 of these molded miniplugs have been made in same way for ~21 years fitted onto DSM mics, preamp, mic adapters, and everything else made here requiring minijack connection. 

Not one deck jack reported damaged or worn out in all this time of using this design. 

Also, no report of the molded cord minijack used on this extension has worn out or been broken regardless of what design of plug is used with it.

This type of reliability is purposely DESIGNED into all my products, and the reasons for this reliability is NOT obvious to most.  The fact that Sonic Studios gear rarely fails with normally expected rough use is greatly appreciated by the customers who rely on this stuff to keep working without breaking, or breaking their attached equipment.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2006, 12:29:43 AM »
Maybe I am missing the point.
How is your design going to decrease the problems that Roland designed into the R09?  How would it benefit me?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2006, 04:54:48 AM »
Maybe I am missing the point.
How is your design going to decrease the problems that Roland designed into the R09?  How would it benefit me?

All minijacks are more or less delicate.  Because of errors in judgement of jack component selection and poor soldering QC, the R-09 was and still is much more delicate in this regard.  Using plugs that produce minimum stresses on these jacks greatly decreases chances of problems with wear-out or complete failure.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2006, 03:11:37 PM »
Using plugs that produce minimum stresses on these jacks greatly decreases chances of problems with wear-out or complete failure.

Also using screw-in 1/8" plugs, like Comtek does on their transmitter systems and Sony on his wireless mics and FX1 camera.

A good trick would be to find a way to replace the R-09 jack for a screw-in type, which has a higher collar.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2006, 10:06:52 AM »
I think the general idea with this $25 cable (or anything else you would use) is to plug it in once, and leave it there. This way your devices get plugged into the extension cable (umpteen gazillion times) and not into the jack itself.

Now a "screw in 1/8 plug" I've never seen, or heard of, before. Got any pics of said jack you could post?

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2006, 10:56:54 AM »
Now a "screw in 1/8 plug" I've never seen, or heard of, before. Got any pics of said jack you could post?

The only place I have seen this type of plug is the output jack on my DPA MMA6000 preamp. It has about 1/8" of male threads sticking out past flush, that the mating plug threads onto. Makes for a nice secure connection.

Problem is, other than the cable that I bought from DPA, I have not found this type of plug anywhere.
If these ends and sockets where readily available, I think I would mod my R-09 with one in a heartbeat.

I have no camera as of now, so I can not post any pictures, maybe someone else with a mma-6000 can.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2006, 10:57:33 AM »
I think the general idea with this $25 cable (or anything else you would use) is to plug it in once, and leave it there. This way your devices get plugged into the extension cable (umpteen gazillion times) and not into the jack itself.

Yes, that is what you should do with all 1/8" jack connections.  

This is the closest I can get for a picture of the 1/8" threaded plug.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=287328&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Once I had a supplier for the mating jack, but I can't find the URL now.

The cable above is used on a Sennheiser wireless mic. You could get a similar cable for stereo unbalanced jacks, but you will need an Y adapter with two XLR3 on each end, to plug on two mics.    

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:53:29 PM by Carlos E. Martinez »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com