Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 vs Adobe Audition 2.0  (Read 3546 times)

Offline dhora

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Cool Edit Pro 2.0 vs Adobe Audition 2.0
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:43:58 PM »
I've been using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 for a few years with no problems.  I recently built a new PC and installed Adobe Audition 2.0 which I've been itching to install since I bought it a couple years ago and my old PC wouldn't run it.

I keep seeing glitches in the Audition UI where icons will shift to the left or disappear for a second or so, then it goes back to normal.
When I use Audition to record, I get occasional skips in the feed when I record the audio that comes out of the speakers.
I was trying to edit a wave file and Audition seemed to slow down the audio occasionally during playback of the wave file. 

I just reinstalled Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and it has none of the above issues on my new PC.

Has anyone else had these types of problems with Adobe Audition?  Is there any reason I should use Audition instead of old reliable Cool Edit?
AT853h,o, AT831c > AT831 (SP-CMC-2) > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 vs Adobe Audition 2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:49:01 PM »
I really don't know for sure what you might be experiencing, but I've been using Audition 1.0 for a long time and recently upgraded to Version 3.0.  While it seems that Version 3.0 does process information quicker, I also noticed that 3.0 slows my machine down quite a bit.  I also get really slow performance when multi-tasking, if 3.0 is loaded up. 

So, again I can't say for sure, but it seems from my experience that 3.0 hogs way more RAM than 1.0 does.  It's a trade-off because like I said, 3.0 seems to process 24bit files faster than 1.0, but then it seems to bog down because of RAM limitations. 

Honestly though, 3.0 doesn't appear to do much more than 1.0...which I don't think did much more than Cool Edit 2.0 (does Cool Edit Pro handle 24bit?).  In the end, I'll probably just stick with 1.0.

Offline John Kary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 vs Adobe Audition 2.0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »
Honestly though, 3.0 doesn't appear to do much more than 1.0...which I don't think did much more than Cool Edit 2.0 (does Cool Edit Pro handle 24bit?).  In the end, I'll probably just stick with 1.0.
Actually, 3.0 added a huge improvement for mixing: a real channel strip mixer--the type you see in most Digital Audio Workstations like ProTools, Nuendo or Logic that look like a soundboard.  I know there were more UI improvements and under-the-hood improvements, but can't quote them all.

Audition 1.0 was literally CoolEdit Pro 2.x rebadged as an Adobe Product.  They didn't change a thing other than to replace Adobe and Audition where CoolEdit Pro once was.

Audition 2.0, as you found out, is pure trash.  It always ran slower and was very clunky when I used it.  Crashes, glitches, RAM hog, etc.

Again, Audition 3.0 feels a lot faster snappier and has a reworked UI.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com