Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)  (Read 110501 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2015, 04:17:34 PM »
Tascam added another firmware update (v1.10) a few days ago. It appears they added a MID setting to the gain options.

Files: http://tascam.com/product/dr-70d/downloads/
Release notes: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/e_dr-70d_rn_vc.pdf
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
Thanks for posting that update!  Can anyone find out what the gain pot ranges for the new levels are?  If so, please post it and I'll add it to the FAQ.

It's good to see Tascam posting firmware updates.  I emailed all of their customer service emails with our list of issues, but I never received any reply from them.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline axomxa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »
I am leaning toward pulling the trigger on the B & H bundle deal.  It is an outstanding value with memory card etc plus I use Sound Forge (v9.0 currently). 

Before I make final decision would like to hear an MBHO ka200 source using the stock preamps but can't find one on LMA.  Does anyone know of a source using the ka200's?

Thanks   
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
Tascam added another firmware update (v1.10) a few days ago. It appears they added a MID setting to the gain options.

Files: http://tascam.com/product/dr-70d/downloads/
Release notes: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/e_dr-70d_rn_vc.pdf

This is really great news, I suspect MID will be the preferred setting for most OTS and FOB settings. I can't wait to try it out!
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline audBall

« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »
Can anyone find out what the gain pot ranges for the new levels are?

How were these being determined? From the display? I haven't tinkered much with this recorder yet, although I did install the update with no issues.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »
Can anyone find out what the gain pot ranges for the new levels are?

How were these being determined? From the display? I haven't tinkered much with this recorder yet, although I did install the update with no issues.
That's a good question - someone posted those ranges a long time ago but I can't remember where.  The official Tascam literature doesn't specify the minimum levels of the trim pots; only the maximums: LOW +11 dB, HIGH: +51 dB, HIGH+: +63 dB.

The numbers I copied and pasted into the FAQ are:
   Gain Pot Ranges:
   LOW:    -21dB to +11dB
   HIGH:   +19dB to +51dB
   HIGH+: +52dB to +63dB

I don't know how those minimum numbers were determined.  Maybe the person who initially posted this in the discussion thread will chime in with where they found it. 

And just in case anyone was wondering, Tascam has not yet posted an updated Specifications page or an updated manual which shows the new MID gain level.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »
   Gain Pot Ranges:

I don't know how those minimum numbers were determined.  Maybe the person who initially posted this in the discussion thread will chime in with where they found it. 

And just in case anyone was wondering, Tascam has not yet posted an updated Specifications page or an updated manual which shows the new MID gain level.

I suppose the MID level may just fill in the hole in those Ranges, i.e.,

MID: +12dB to +18dB

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline voltronic

« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2015, 06:12:34 PM »
   Gain Pot Ranges:

I suppose the MID level may just fill in the hole in those Ranges, i.e.,

MID: +12dB to +18dB
Maybe, but I doubt they'd give that new setting only a 6 dB range.  I would imagine they would change the ranges of LOW and HIGH and give it a 12 dB range which would be more useful.  I'm not fully confident that the lower limits that I have listed for the 3 levels above are correct though as I can't find them anywhere official.    There definitely does seem to be a gap in gain level between the upper limit of LOW and the lower limit of HIGH on the stock firmware.

Once again, this thing really needs better metering and readouts in general so we can have an idea what's really happening.  If only Tascam customer service would reply to emails. >:(
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline audBall

« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2015, 11:01:50 AM »
That's a good question - someone posted those ranges a long time ago but I can't remember where.  The official Tascam literature doesn't specify the minimum levels of the trim pots; only the maximums: LOW +11 dB, HIGH: +51 dB, HIGH+: +63 dB.

I just noticed these are listed under the specs on Tascam's page, however, they haven't been updated for the new MID selection. I wonder if sending a test tone through one of the inputs while adjusting the gain knobs and monitoring the display would give an indication of each range?

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »
Great news about the "MID" gain setting. My only recording so far was with Nak CM-300s on low. It came out way too low, but I've never run those with any other gain setting on my DR-2d so I was scared to run them on high.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2015, 11:59:12 AM »
Great news about the "MID" gain setting. My only recording so far was with Nak CM-300s on low. It came out way too low, but I've never run those with any other gain setting on my DR-2d so I was scared to run them on high.

Are you running a preamp in front? I recorded an acoustic show on low with a SD MP2 and the results were amazing.
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline jagraham

« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
No preamp. I would love that, but I think the Naks have to be modded to run off anything other than batteries. They are powered by 12V each. The results weren't bad at all, just too low for my taste. Something about having to amplify 15 or 20db feels wrong somehow, even if it's in 24 bit.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2015, 02:46:19 PM »

Your results on LOW with lower output mics mirrors mine - I've run my Sony ECM999PR and Altec 626a - and had the knobs all way up on LOW.

Hopefully this new firmware (and the new MID setting) will solve the too low level problem (if you consider it a problem - I have a feeling guys who record Heavy Metal might think its the cat's meow!)

Offline jagraham

« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2015, 02:54:02 PM »

Your results on LOW with lower output mics mirrors mine - I've run my Sony ECM999PR and Altec 626a - and had the knobs all way up on LOW.

Hopefully this new firmware (and the new MID setting) will solve the too low level problem (if you consider it a problem - I have a feeling guys who record Heavy Metal might think its the cat's meow!)

Yeah I think it was you that posted about the Altecs being way too low on LOW but way too high on HIGH so I was reluctant to do anything other than LOW. I really don't know, HIGH might have been fine but it's a risk IMO.

The Altecs are the same as the Naks/Teacs/Primos/Tascams/whatever. I bet anyone using these mics will have a similar issue. Even if recording something loud (like metal) I doubt you would get the levels you want with these settings.

Just curious - how are you powering your mics?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »

I just noticed these are listed under the specs on Tascam's page, however, they haven't been updated for the new MID selection. I wonder if sending a test tone through one of the inputs while adjusting the gain knobs and monitoring the display would give an indication of each range?
I thought about doing this, but unfortunately the monitoring is not accurate (again, the thing that I really wish Tascam had devoted their attention to).  See the FAQ page for an explanation.  Short version - the display moves in 2 dB steps, while in reality the gain is changing in 0.5 dB steps. 

Also, keep in mind the max gain levels Tascam lists on the specs page are with the XLR inputs set to MIC or MIC+PHANTOM which is going to result in a hotter level than if the input were set to LINE.  I haven't tried it with the tone from my FP24, but I imagine you might get to the point where you're brickwalling the input before you get all the way up the input trimpot, especially when set to HIGH and HIGH+.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com