Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can you use interconnect cables as a mic cable? If not, why not?  (Read 6457 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Hi y'all, was looking at Hosa's catalog of cables and saw that the XFF-105 is just what I was looking for: a 4-5 ft cables with XLR-male on one end and XLR-female right angle on the other.  The catalog says that the interconnects are not meant to be used as mic cables, though, and so I'm wondering if anyone knows why that is and is there any danger in using these to connect mic bodies to a phantom power source? 

Thanks for any information!

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Can you use interconnect cables as a mic cable? If not, why not?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:55:16 PM »
Don't know if it applies to these particular set of cables but the only reason I can think they may not be able to be used as mic cables is what is connected to a pin at one end may be connected to a different pin at the other. If phantom is supplied on pin 2 at the preamp end  and that wire is connected at pin 1 at the female end you might fry your mics by applying +48 to the wrong pin. Think of it as a crossover cable rather than an extension cable.

One of the electronic wizards here will probably tell you I'm wrong and give you the real reason.

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:50 AM »
Hosa XFF-105 5ft Balanced XLR Straight Male to Right-Angle Female Professional Interconnect

# Conductor: 26 AWG x 2 OFC
# Shield: OFC Spiral
# Connectors: Hosa Metal
# Use to connect gear with XLR outputs to gear with XLR inputs
# Spiral shield offers superior shielding and flexibility
# A right-angle XLR3F allows easy access to XLR outputs with minimal clearance
It states that the cable is balanced so I see no reason why you could not use it for mic cables.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:03:46 AM by rowjimmytour »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:10:16 AM »
Hosa XFF-105 5ft Balanced XLR Straight Male to Right-Angle Female Professional Interconnect

# Conductor: 26 AWG x 2 OFC
# Shield: OFC Spiral
# Connectors: Hosa Metal
# Use to connect gear with XLR outputs to gear with XLR inputs
# Spiral shield offers superior shielding and flexibility
# A right-angle XLR3F allows easy access to XLR outputs with minimal clearance
It states that the cable is balanced so I see no reason why you could not use it for mic cables.

Whoa, thanks for the quick replies!  +Ts.  The Hosa pdf catalog (hosatech.com) states: "interconnects are not designed for use as a mic cable."  And then it lists the pages that list the mic xlr cables.  I'd love to use them but I'm a bit scared of frying some expensive mics  ???

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:15:04 AM »
Could also be the cable stock they use. Interconnects are usually used in fixed installations (plugged in once and not moved after that) and mic cables tend to take a beating; not so much the way we use them but if used on stage they don't get much love.

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:20:58 AM »
Could also be the cable stock they use. Interconnects are usually used in fixed installations (plugged in once and not moved after that) and mic cables tend to take a beating; not so much the way we use them but if used on stage they don't get much love.
Good point and if it was me I would learn how to solder and score some Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Micophone Cable and Neutrik connectors and make some custom cables.
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:42:52 AM »
Thx again for the input and suggestions.  That DIY mic cables is pretty straightforward, but I don't think  I could trust a recording to a piece of equipment I made myself!  ;D

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:44:29 AM »
Good point and if it was me I would learn how to solder and score some Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Micophone Cable and Neutrik connectors and make some custom cables.

I make mine with the solderless Neutriks.  Everyone tells me that it won't work.  How can I be so wrong??   ;D   They are working just fine for me.  I know no one who has actually tested solderless alongside of soldered to reach these conclusions.  Until I see the tests, I will stick with solderless.  Ma Bell has been doing solderless since the late 50's.  But what would they know over there about electrical connections?   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:08:20 AM »

I make mine with the solderless Neutriks.  Everyone tells me that it won't work.  How can I be so wrong??   ;D   They are working just fine for me.  I know no one who has actually tested solderless alongside of soldered to reach these conclusions.  Until I see the tests, I will stick with solderless.  Ma Bell has been doing solderless since the late 50's.  But what would they know over there about electrical connections?   8)

I don't think anyone's saying it won't work.  Just that the reliability of solderless connectors being used on cables that are constantly being moved, connected, disconnected, etc. is likely to be significantly lower than a well-soldered cable over a longer period of time.

I had a 24 channel snake that was solderless amphenol connectors on one end at one time.  It lasted about a dozen shows before I started experiencing channel anomalies and failure of random channels.  Finally got tired of it and snipped the ends and soldered standard Neutriks on it and have not had a problem since.

So if the solderless work for you, that's fine.  I don't know too many folks who prefer them over soldered cables though.  For me, solderless connectors are for emergency field repairs only and are immediately replaced by a soldered connection after the event.  I would not use one on a client's project again if I could help it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  I don't see why you couldn't use this as a mic cable, except as Flipp has stated it *might* be designed for a permanent install.  Those cables are typically less rugged and more "microphonic" than standard cables.  You may be more susceptible to handling noise, etc.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »
hosa sucks.......I'll build you some silverclad cables on the cheap.

FWIW I use the same cable for mic and interconnect

PM me with what you need and I'll get you a price.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 01:24:57 AM »

:coolguy: :clapping:
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 08:45:25 AM »
Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  I don't see why you couldn't use this as a mic cable, except as Flipp has stated it *might* be designed for a permanent install.  Those cables are typically less rugged and more "microphonic" than standard cables.  You may be more susceptible to handling noise, etc.

Awesome.  Thanks TNJazz.  +T.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 08:45:58 AM »

PM sent.  +T.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com