Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Opinions on the smallest SP mics vs. Core Sound Cardioids and possible WTB

<< < (2/2)

nulldogmas:
Rob, maybe explain exactly how you usually mount your mics in your hat? I wonder if there's not a way of rigging the 853s or 943s so they'll work — they may not be able to fit through a vent hole, but mesh or thin fabric isn't going to affect the sound noticeably.

robgronotte:
I usually have the CSCs sticking out through the vent holes, with the cables inside the hat and down the back of my shirt.  However, I originally had to make the vent holes a bit larger to get the CSCs to fit through them, and I don't think anything larger than that would be likely to work the same way.

Way back when in 1996-97 I used one (much larger) stereo Sony Mic inside another hat, with the head towards the vent (baseball cap worn backwards, same as now), but it wasn't very comfortable.  I could consider that again with two medium mics, but I would have to find a way to make sure the mics stayed in place, plus I'm afraid they might bump my head or the hat and make noise.  Also, I have a very large head and it's already tough to find hats that fit me.  The more awkwardly one balances on my head, the more conspicuous I will be.  With the CSCs being very small and basically the same color as my hat, I don't think anyone ever notices them there even if they're directly looking at me.

Todd:
I record with mics in a shirt collar.  These have worked well although I think they've switched the model # slightly since I got mine.  Was searching for mics that used Nak capsules and these claim to use Primo capsules like the Nak mics do.   https://micbooster.com/clippy-and-pluggy-microphones/135-clippy-em184-xlr-matched-pair.html     I have these but don't think they are still avaiable.  Helpful if email them as well.   XLR inputs if that matters.  Clippy EM184

fireonshakedwnstreet:
I agree with nulldogmas on the hat issue. I have stuck Studio Project C4s in a K****l with no issues. Mesh is pretty much acoustically transparent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version