Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-05 has secret easter egg menu for more settings too!  (Read 19922 times)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Roland R-05 has secret easter egg menu for more settings too!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »
Bump for new R-05 owners like me who got a deal from Guitar Center.

I am taking mine into the field tonight for the first time and am looking for advice on record settings when going line in from a preamp.  I thought I read somewhere that 38 to 40 was a good place to start??

May be a little late but the line in level with preamp is definitely sensitive to the volume of the show.  What I run it at varies a lot, though 30 is usually safe.  Unlike many other decks there is no audible artifact if you adjust the record level one step at a time so if you start out too loud or too quiet feel no reservations about resetting the gain as you move into the set. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 11:31:47 AM »
Weird - I run mine for loud rock PA recording on line-in set at 10 when using my Nbox that has +20db gain.  I typically get peaks between -12 and -6 at this setting. Running with the R-05 set to 40 would be a brickwalled mess for sure for me.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
Weird - I run mine for loud rock PA recording on line-in set at 10 when using my Nbox that has +20db gain.  I typically get peaks between -12 and -6 at this setting. Running with the R-05 set to 40 would be a brickwalled mess for sure for me.

loud rock is probably the determining factor there.  I run some nearly unamplified classical shows using Tinybox at medium gain (I forget what that equates to on mine, though think it is less than +20) and have had to push the nominal gain up to 55-60 on some of those.  My usual unamplified jazz club show usually runs from 25-35 at stage lip (with drummer usually the determinant).  I've had a few things down to the teens but not much.  I very rarely go to loud shows though. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline perks

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »
^ Jazz shows for me I run at 15 which is fairly conservative but I'm always afraid of a Peter Escovedo-like conga/cowbell blast that spikes up much louder than the rest of the show.
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 04:20:14 PM »
I remember I also tweaked the ALC DCY/ATK settings but I can't remember what it was for and if I liked the result or not haha.

I never used the R-05, but found the secret menu on the R-09 back in the day.  I don't remember seeing those entries for the R-09, but my guess would be reading that shorthand as follows:

ALC = Automatic Level Control
DCY = Decay
ATK = Attack

I assume those adjust the auto-gain limiter attack and release speeds.

I still keep my old R-09s in the utility box for use as SBD patch decks and just in case I need the file repair option (re-writes the file header) for a card recorded in another deck while on the road.  I'd use one as a small digital out playback deck into my headphone DAC if I still had the optical cable with a RA 3.5mm swivel I once had for them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »

I ended up running the R-05 at 40 and had levels in the -12 to -6 range but I am pretty sure I was severely under utilizing my Littlebox and was getting a majority of my gain from the R-05's preamp.  Next time I'll dial back the R-05 significantly and drive the LB harder.  All-in-all I am happy with the recording and the R-05. 

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline perks

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 08:52:41 PM »

I ended up running the R-05 at 40 and had levels in the -12 to -6 range but I am pretty sure I was severely under utilizing my Littlebox and was getting a majority of my gain from the R-05's preamp.  Next time I'll dial back the R-05 significantly and drive the LB harder.  All-in-all I am happy with the recording and the R-05. 

I compared all 4 of the recordings and your AKG capture is particularly smoking hot. 

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 11:09:39 AM »
Thanks, Perks!  I really like the LittleBox/AKG combo.  They pair up nicely.  Your recording sounds great as always, too.  You've got that sweet spot at First Av nailed!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline terryfunku

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 09:36:22 PM »
Using this thread, http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136806.0  I attempted to access the hidden menu and could not.

Did they lock it in further releases of the device? I can't find any updates to the firmware that may have compromised the menu (like they did with updates regarding the R-09HR's hidden menu).

Any help would be appreciated. I really want to turn off the recording indicator/light and see if I can boost the playback volume by a few dBs.

Also, anyone have access to firmware 1.02 or 1.01? That would theoretically allow access to the hidden menu as I'm sure the new firmware has locked it out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried posting a new topic about this but no one wants to contribute, so I'm bumping this emeffer.

My apologies if this is bad form, but I only have 1 more day before I use this device for the first time.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
I am running v1.03 and the special menu is still there.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
same here.
Just bought a couple of new R-05's (all 1.03 software on it) and all still with the secret menu.

Make sure you press "AB first" (hold it) and then press "menu"
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »
I have not seen the need to make any changes, but I can access the secret menu too and I have firmware 1.03 on 2 R-05's.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 03:34:05 PM »
Using this thread, http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136806.0  I attempted to access the hidden menu and could not.

Did they lock it in further releases of the device? I can't find any updates to the firmware that may have compromised the menu (like they did with updates regarding the R-09HR's hidden menu).

Any help would be appreciated. I really want to turn off the recording indicator/light and see if I can boost the playback volume by a few dBs.

Also, anyone have access to firmware 1.02 or 1.01? That would theoretically allow access to the hidden menu as I'm sure the new firmware has locked it out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried posting a new topic about this but no one wants to contribute, so I'm bumping this emeffer.

My apologies if this is bad form, but I only have 1 more day before I use this device for the first time.

Have you tried again?
I'm sure it's you, not the recorder.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline terryfunku

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 04:32:56 PM »
Well, to prove that I know how to do the button combination, I'm able to change the language to Japanese by doing another button combo AND I've done the secret menu crap with the R-09HR.

This R-05 o' mine ain't having it. IDK. I'll keep attempting it until I have carpal tunnel I guess.

Thank you for the replies though. At least I know that I'M the crazy one.

Offline terryfunku

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »
I've tried holding the A<>B button while powering up and as soon as the power flashes begin to hold the Menu button. No response from device.

I've tried powering up and as as soon as the power flashes on I've begun holding the A<>B button immediately followed by holding the Menu button. No response from device.

We're a few hours from show time and me breaking this bugger in, but I'd still like to accomplish this even if it is at a later date.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com