Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-10M  (Read 21338 times)

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-10M
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »

One of the missing features for me in the MixPre series has been the lack of an easy way of scrubbing the recording, or of simply going into fast forward or rewind with any control. Would it be possible to add these buttons to the Wingman app? Otherwise, doing overdubs where you need to quickly review for example a short guitar insert, would be a nightmare on the present clumsy interface of the MixPre. I'd rather work on a DAW.

Thanks,

Phillip

The 10M has dedicated FFWD and REW keys for easy scrubbing, ffwd, and rew. For the MixPre-6, press the encoder to enter ffwd/rew/scrub mode then turn clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Regarding your request for putting this in Wingman ... noted!

FYI, to make locating and accurate punch in /outs possible, we have included a comprehensive locate point feature set inc cue points, preroll, post roll, punch in, punch out. It's all there. Since I've been playing with this 10M, I've been more prolific with creating music than I've been in years. I won't stop using my DAW for detailed music production, but for capturing my music's essense/feel in multitrack form, the 10M wins hands down. My best track-laying performances typically happen when the idea is fresh. And it sounds so good with those kashmirs! And its so easy to import all 10M tracks into a DAW should I wish to develop further at a later stage. Having said that, a DAW ain't necessary to come out with great sounding tracks. When I'm in front of a DAW, I'm an engineer. When I'm in front of the 10M, I'm a musician.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »

One of the missing features for me in the MixPre series has been the lack of an easy way of scrubbing the recording, or of simply going into fast forward or rewind with any control. Would it be possible to add these buttons to the Wingman app? Otherwise, doing overdubs where you need to quickly review for example a short guitar insert, would be a nightmare on the present clumsy interface of the MixPre. I'd rather work on a DAW.

Thanks,

Phillip

The 10M has dedicated FFWD and REW keys for easy scrubbing, ffwd, and rew. For the MixPre-6, press the encoder to enter ffwd/rew/scrub mode then turn clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Regarding your request for putting this in Wingman ... noted!

FYI, to make locating and accurate punch in /outs possible, we have included a comprehensive locate point feature set inc cue points, preroll, post roll, punch in, punch out. It's all there. Since I've been playing with this 10M, I've been more prolific with creating music than I've been in years. I won't stop using my DAW for detailed music production, but for capturing my music's essense/feel in multitrack form, the 10M wins hands down. My best track-laying performances typically happen when the idea is fresh. And it sounds so good with those kashmirs! And its so easy to import all 10M tracks into a DAW should I wish to develop further at a later stage. Having said that, a DAW ain't necessary to come out with great sounding tracks. When I'm in front of a DAW, I'm an engineer. When I'm in front of the 10M, I'm a musician.

Thanks for your reply, Paul.

By "dedicated FFWD and REW keys", do you mean the transport joystick as is found on the 10T?

On the MixPre 6, I find the encoder hard to control for searching in a recording.

The new comprehensive locate point feature set sounds very useful.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
I'm curious about the statement that the wingman app is somewhat crippled. Does anyone have any specifics?
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 10:17:24 AM »
Does the 10M have more less linking features - it specifically doesn't list M/S and Stereo linking.   And no multi-channel linking.

No bluetooth apparently, so no Wingman etc

max sample rate on the 10M is 96khz (as opposed to 192khz on the rest of the mixpre lineup)

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-3/feature-comparison
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:22:20 AM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 06:03:43 PM »
Does the 10M have more less linking features - it specifically doesn't list M/S and Stereo linking.   And no multi-channel linking.

max sample rate on the 10M is 96khz (as opposed to 192khz on the rest of the mixpre lineup)

The mixpre3 only does 96khz tops.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 06:52:51 PM »

The mixpre3 only does 96khz tops.

yes, my mistake
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »

Is that true? 

When the comparison page was first posted, it had an asterisks next to the wingman app, saying something about limited support I thought.  Now it shows nothing in that field.  Is it confirmed that wingman won't work at all on the 10M?  If so, that's a real disappointment.  The idea that the 788 had an app and the 744 didn't always made me jealous.  I can't possible see myself buying a 10M if it has no support for an app when the others in SD's line do.
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
It also list nothing for Operation Modes: Basic, Advanced, Custom so what mode does it operate in? The M has some strange limiatitons

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »
I'm not a taper, but I have been loitering around these forums waiting for this very device to come along. So, as a musician, I'm happy.

I have one now, it turned up today, so I'm happy to try to answer any questions. The last Sound Devices unit I had was the original MixPre, (although I've also had a USBPre) so I'm not really familiar with the 10T or 6xx or 7xx line-up.

The two things I've noticed so far which aren't quite right
1) the reverb only works on projects at 44.1kHz and 48kHz.
2) the 'Main Outs' have the monitor signal routed to them at all times when the transport is in 'Stop'. This results in feedback through the monitors (unless you turn down all the output channels, or un-assign all the inputs, neither of which are feasible). There are lots of routing options for the headphones, and you can choose to send the HP mix to the Main Outs (XLRs and x1/x2 unbalalnced) independently and likewise you can send the Main Mix to the Headphones, so I can't see why it has been configured this way.

Dominic

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
To answer to three of the above posts:

It does stereo linking of inputs. No M/S. No linking beyond two (adjacent) channels.

No, no sign of Bluetooth support or the Wingman app.

There are no 'modes'. I have no idea what Paul is talking about when he mentions a 'Field Recorder' mode. There may be a way of using it like that, but there's no 'mode' to select to do so.

Dominic
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:45:58 PM by dominicperry »

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
How many tracks can you record simultaneously? The manual is not clear at all. I would like to be able too do 10, 8 xlr and 2 extras on the miniplug input. Is that possible?

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 05:47:18 PM »
How many tracks can you record simultaneously? The manual is not clear at all. I would like to be able too do 10, 8 xlr and 2 extras on the miniplug input. Is that possible?

I just tried this - you can only assign 8 inputs. When you get to the 9th, a message comes up and says "Only 8 Live Inputs allowed at once". I get the same at 96kHz and 48kHz, so it's not sample-rate dependent. It makes no difference if they are Mic/Line, Aux (miniplug) or USB. Eight seems to be the max.

Dominic

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »
Thank you so much.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »
There is no m/s recording option on a recorder designed for musicians???   

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 04:42:58 AM »
There is no m/s recording option on a recorder designed for musicians???

Correct. Just the same as Portastudios and the Zoom Livetrak L12. I can't think of a multi-track which allows overdubbing which has M/S. Which doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea, of course.

While checking to make sure it really wasn't there (rather than just missing from the manual) I discovered another thing which does need improving - when you have two channels linked, selecting the 2nd input of the pair shows some greyed out options on the screen, but doesn't explicitly say "Linked" or similar. So you have to guess/remember why that particular channel isn't behaving the same as the rest.

Dominic
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:59:08 AM by dominicperry »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com