Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: not enough volume with mics > battery box > iRiver  (Read 7661 times)

Offline NOTHINGFAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
not enough volume with mics > battery box > iRiver
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:33:46 AM »
Hi all,

Not sure exactly where this goes, but I set up my iRiver H120 to the settings in this thread, and my recordings come out really low.  Which isn't really a big problem, cause I just amplify the volume in Adobe Audition to my desired level.

I have a custom made battery box, with no gain on it, so I can't adjust it there.  Any of you have any idea on how my recordings can come out with a little more volume, and how I can adjust my iRiver to do so?

Hope this makes sense.  I'm very new at audio taping, so be gentle and be a little thorough, if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Audio: SP-CMC-4U > custom battery box > iRiver h120 with Rockbox
Video: Sony DCR-HC21

adrianf74

Re: not enough volume with mics > battery box > iRiver
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:39:47 PM »
Hi all,

Not sure exactly where this goes, but I set up my iRiver H120 to the settings in this thread, and my recordings come out really low.  Which isn't really a big problem, cause I just amplify the volume in Adobe Audition to my desired level.

I have a custom made battery box, with no gain on it, so I can't adjust it there.  Any of you have any idea on how my recordings can come out with a little more volume, and how I can adjust my iRiver to do so?

Hope this makes sense.  I'm very new at audio taping, so be gentle and be a little thorough, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm... I've never run into the problem with my battery boxes in the past (core sound, giant squid or sound professionals) as I've always had good levels even a mile away.

Perhaps your battery box isn't providing enough juice.  You might want to invest in Chris Church (Church Audio)'s battery box or his pre-amp.  He'll be able to help you for certain.

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
The general rule of thumb, as far as I can tell, is battery box for very loud shows, to power your mics and allow them to deal with higher volumes, and preamp for quiet shows (or less loud shows) to provide more gain so you don't have to max your recorder's input (and the recorder's inherent noise).

I'll second the reccomendation for Chris Church's preamps. I've used one a couple of times and it was a fine piece of kit.

:D
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline NOTHINGFAN

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks guys.  +T

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 01:18:12 PM »
Your best bet is to turn up the gain on your Iriver. Play around until you are happy with the settings. You should easily be able to get good levels without turning up the gain too much.

Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 01:42:50 PM »
I've been using the AT 831 mics with my h120 and notice I have to raise the gain up to around 20 dB in order for anything to be audible since I'm not recording music. This is no problem but I am also going to be investing in Chris Church's 9100 preamp/battery box so I'll be able to record loud shows.

On the side, when I have the same mics plugged into my sony minidisc recorder, everything records fine, even under automatic gain control. Maybe the iriver just can't power many mics like my minidisc recorder.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »
NOTHINGFAN, you are not getting any gain because of the way you are powering the mics. You are using the three wire battery box, which powers the mics properly but doesn't give you any gain. In fact, if you compare it to two wire powering (Sound Pro method), you lose about 8db of gain. Just boost the levels on the iRiver to compensate. The iRiver has plenty of analog gain.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »

Yeah, maybe I'm stating the obvious, but do you have Rockbox on the H120? And is it a recent build?
Since you didn't mention increasing the gain in the H120, perhaps you didn't find the setting?

Read up on the safety clip feature in Rockbox. It's the perfect way to set gain before the gig starts, and it will lower the gain until it's just below the clipping stage. Like others here said, +20dB is usually fine.

/J
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline NOTHINGFAN

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
NOTHINGFAN, you are not getting any gain because of the way you are powering the mics. You are using the three wire battery box, which powers the mics properly but doesn't give you any gain. In fact, if you compare it to two wire powering (Sound Pro method), you lose about 8db of gain. Just boost the levels on the iRiver to compensate. The iRiver has plenty of analog gain.

This is what I was thinking, but didn't know what to set the gain on the iRiver at.  That's pretty much my question.  Thanks for you help.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:01:07 AM »
The general rule of thumb, as far as I can tell, is battery box for very loud shows, to power your mics and allow them to deal with higher volumes, and preamp for quiet shows (or less loud shows) to provide more gain so you don't have to max your recorder's input (and the recorder's inherent noise).

I'll second the reccomendation for Chris Church's preamps. I've used one a couple of times and it was a fine piece of kit.

:D

Hello everyone,

I totally understand this rule. But as far as my almost zero knowledge goes, a preamp is not usefull for quiet shows only. I use a preamp because of it's clean gain in opposite to the noisier preamp of my R-09. If I set my R-09 to the so called unity gain( 8 or 9) even at loud shows I'd need my preamp to get good levels. I have run a few tests ( very amateurish...) and the noise diference between the R-09 and my CA 9100 preamp is brutal. ;)
But this is just me.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline NOTHINGFAN

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »

Yeah, maybe I'm stating the obvious, but do you have Rockbox on the H120? And is it a recent build?
Since you didn't mention increasing the gain in the H120, perhaps you didn't find the setting?

Read up on the safety clip feature in Rockbox. It's the perfect way to set gain before the gig starts, and it will lower the gain until it's just below the clipping stage. Like others here said, +20dB is usually fine.

/J

Yes, my iRiver has Rockbox on it, and I followed everything in the FAQ's for the iRiver on this site on how to set my settings. 

My setup is...

SP-CMC-4U (ATU853) cards > custom battery box > iRiver h120 with Rockbox

I bought my battery box from someone on this board, and that person bought it off of someone who custom made it.  My mics are two separate mics, not terminated together, with XLR plugs. (if that explains things better).

My gain on my iRiver is set to 0.  So I'm assuming if I crank it up to 20, I'd be good to go?  I usually see loud rock concerts (Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, TOOL, Radiohead, etc...) to get an idea of the type of shows I see.  Ranging from theaters to small and big arenas.

What I've been doing is, letting my settings go, and just amplifying the volume on the recording using Adobe Audition.  Seemed to work just fine with my first recording I did. (America).

I used the same settings for Van Halen, and last night, Stone Temple Pilots, and when i play the track back on my iRiver, the volume is really, really low.

Should I upgrade my battery box, or is the way I've been doing it just fine, but just have to amplify the volume using audio software like Adobe Audition.  I mean, I know it's an extra step, but it seemed to work just fine for me.

Thanks for everyone who responded in this thread.  This info is very useful.

Hopefully I can get this issue resolved before seeing Eric Clapton two Saturdays from now.  :)

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 11:21:27 AM »

My gain on my iRiver is set to 0.  So I'm assuming if I crank it up to 20, I'd be good to go? 

Exactly. Crank up the gain in Rockbox to say +20-24dB, activate safety clip in the recording settings, and see the invisible hand setting your gain just nicely below clipping level!

Off course Dede is also right that an external pre like the CA-9100 will give a much cleaner gain. But for guys like us who are short of money, or paranoid about pat-downs and wanding by security, less gear is a trade-off we have to take.

I'm still convinced that adding gain during the recording stage on the iRiver makes more sense than keeping the input level at +0dB and tring to boost it in post.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline NOTHINGFAN

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 11:34:11 AM »
Thanks, all.  I will try this at the next show.  :)

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 11:40:18 AM »
SP-CMC-4U (ATU853) cards > custom battery box > iRiver h120 with Rockbox

My mics are two separate mics, not terminated together, with XLR plugs. (if that explains things better).

Sounds like you have stock AT mics to me.  Did you order from SP with individual mini XLR terminations?

My gain on my iRiver is set to 0. 

As pointed out, that is the source of your 'not enough volume' complaint.  Your battery box isn't supplying any gain, so you need to supply gain somewhere to adjust your recording levels (i.e. via the H120). 

You are going to like the results much better than what you have been doing (i.e. boosting in post via software).

AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »
Why not crank your stereo and play with the gain of your iRiver at home.  That will give you the chance to find out how hard you may be able to push the iRiver preamp before you get into a lot of noise. 

Then you can relax more at a show and be confidant of pulling a better tape.

Joe

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com