Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: deneke ps2 as preamp?  (Read 3064 times)

Offline ckas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
deneke ps2 as preamp?
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:45:04 PM »
Has anyone done this?
I thought i remembered seeing on the old Oade/TS sec, or Oade preamp section that i could use a PS2 as a low cost pre. I run AKG481`s and if i remember right it said you set the mics on +6db >
PS2 (xlr > mini) > recorder. Does this sound right? i usually run 481>ps2>ad20>H120, but i`m gonna have R-09hr on loaner this weekend and wanted to try 24/96. I dont have a xlr>mini
so i wanted to know if this works before i make or buy one.
Oade doesnt list the ps2 on there site anymore
thanks > Chris

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: deneke ps2 as preamp?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 03:50:11 PM »
was it mics > ps2 > hosa line transformers > recorder ?

I never ran this, but vaguely remember seeing on the site.  The PS-2 will not provide any gain, however.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:51:21 PM »
that might work, depends on the edirol gain structure, but I'd add some line transformers after the ps2 to make sure you get enough gain.  they are not expensive used.

Edit:  posted the same time as the above...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:53:16 PM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
 ;D
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »
jinx, buy me a coke ;D
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 03:52:39 PM »
was it mics > ps2 > hosa line transformers > recorder ?

I never ran this, but vaguely remember seeing on the site.  The PS-2 will not provide any gain, however.

i used this set up with good results until i moved to the sonosax pre amp.

My ps2 with transformers are just sitting here collecting dust

Online DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »
In general, ultra-miniature step-up transformers with anything more than a modest turns ratio (say 1:4) aren't the greatest of high fidelity audio products. They tend to have brick-wall input vs. distortion curves, especially at low frequencies. They do OK with dynamic microphones or with old-style electret condensers that don't have very high output, but less so with modern condenser microphones, especially if you're recording loud stuff that has lots of bass.

Also, you have to keep their output leads short and use them within a foot or so of the high-impedance input that they're connected to, or else you can lose high frequencies due to the cable capacitance.

A good input transformer is a thing of beauty, but if a substantial voltage step-up is involved, a transformer can't both be tiny and handle strong low-frequency signals at the same time, unfortunately.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 04:34:43 PM »
In general, ultra-miniature step-up transformers with anything more than a modest turns ratio (say 1:4) aren't the greatest of high fidelity audio products. They tend to have brick-wall input vs. distortion curves, especially at low frequencies. They do OK with dynamic microphones or with old-style electret condensers that don't have very high output, but less so with modern condenser microphones, especially if you're recording loud stuff that has lots of bass.

Also, you have to keep their output leads short and use them within a foot or so of the high-impedance input that they're connected to, or else you can lose high frequencies due to the cable capacitance.

A good input transformer is a thing of beauty, but if a substantial voltage step-up is involved, a transformer can't both be tiny and handle strong low-frequency signals at the same time, unfortunately.

--best regards

Also, most condenser mics output fairly high voltage levels, so you can often get away with running straight into line in, or mic in, with only a little bit of gain, like 10-20dB added.  Also, I would trust the built in gain in a pocket recorder (Edirol R09, Minidisc, etc) more than an unknown, unbranded transformer.  Transformers are probably more appropriate where you want isolation, and ability to drive long cables.  Most of us are running just a few feet.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:37:23 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Online DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 11:36:56 PM »
illconditioned, while I agree with everything you said point by point, I'd like to avoid the risk of a certain confusion. You said that transformers can give you the ability to drive long cables, and I strongly agree that a balanced circuit is essential where long cables are used.

But in this thread, the transformers that we are talking about are step-up transformers--and those should never drive long cables. If anything, they should be used at the input of an (otherwise) unbalanced preamp, mixer or recorder that has a high enough input impedance--but the cable between their secondary winding and the input of the next device in the "chain" must be kept as short as possible.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 11:45:07 PM »
illconditioned, while I agree with everything you said point by point, I'd like to avoid the risk of a certain confusion. You said that transformers can give you the ability to drive long cables, and I strongly agree that a balanced circuit is essential where long cables are used.

But in this thread, the transformers that we are talking about are step-up transformers--and those should never drive long cables. If anything, they should be used at the input of an (otherwise) unbalanced preamp, mixer or recorder that has a high enough input impedance--but the cable between their secondary winding and the input of the next device in the "chain" must be kept as short as possible.

--best regards
Yep, you're right!  I guess I was confusing the issue of transformers for step-up gain (not recommended, really), and transformers for input and/or output stages of premps.

I guess the overall message is "less is more", unless you really have a need for a particular piece of gear.  I outta know.  I've screwed up many a tape adding extra stuff in the chain...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com