Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video  (Read 78628 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video
« Reply #180 on: December 26, 2010, 08:24:35 PM »
Worked up a better handsfree pendent mount fitting the ZS3/7 models, and maybe some (untried) same size-similar LUMIX models.

Intriqued by low cost, high feature quantity (including external stereo input jack) of the LUMIX DMC-FZ100 CMOS chip model motivated another <$400 camera purchase.   FZ100 does HD 1080i video and a lot of other useful stuff.  So made a pendent mount fitting this camera and some external mic mixer modules, but honestly find the camera a bit too big as a primary go-anywhere documentary tool like I've found with using the ZS3 sized models.

Did do a lot of test videos using FZ100 with/without external mics and/or externally fed audio.   

Lot's of fun stuff to view and consider posted about these cameras at www.sonicstudios.com/videomic.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2010, 10:50:24 PM »
After transferring files to your HD, there's a lot of folders and random files associated with the video.

AVCHD >
     AVCHDTN >
          THUMB
     BDMV >
          crap >
                STREAM >
                     MTS Files
     IISVPL
           VPL Files

What are all these folders/files used for?  Can I delete everything but keep the MTS files and store them how I like?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2010, 06:02:16 AM »
After transferring files to your HD, there's a lot of folders and random files associated with the video.
AVCHD > (cut)
What are all these folders/files used for?  Can I delete everything but keep the MTS files and store them how I like?
Waiting for someone knowing the why of these files, but can report just copying the (uncopy coded like out of a camera) .MT2 file of interest into an editor with no problems with video or audio.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline flipzoso

• Taperssection Member
    • The Marble Shrine
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2011, 02:10:48 AM »
I'm getting tired of the GL2 and miniDV tapes and want something more compact and easy to work with (HD as well)...and so my research has brought me to this Lumix model.

However I hear that ZS3 is discontinued, is the next best idea to purchase the ZS7? Are there any issues or drawbacks with the new model?

Any places that have a good price? Canadian stores?

Thanks in advanced.

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2011, 02:38:44 AM »
New model is out soon, ZS10/TZ20 - better zoom (16x optical) and full HD.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ20_ZS10/verdict.shtml

Offline indiie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2011, 03:21:40 AM »
I'm getting tired of the GL2 and miniDV tapes and want something more compact and easy to work with (HD as well)...and so my research has brought me to this Lumix model.

However I hear that ZS3 is discontinued, is the next best idea to purchase the ZS7? Are there any issues or drawbacks with the new model?

Any places that have a good price? Canadian stores?

Thanks in advanced.

I own a TZ7/ZS3 but got a scratch on the lens so recently bought a TZ10/ZS7. The added benefit of manual settings in the TZ10 is something (about the only thing) that was sorely missing from the TZ7. Use of the manual settings allow me to take a photo like this which I think is not bad for a cheap point and shoot.

The TZ10 also comes with GPS capabilities which I have no use for.
I bought my TZ10 from duty free store in Brisbane Australia which had (have?) them on special for AUD$399.

Offline flipzoso

• Taperssection Member
    • The Marble Shrine
« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »
Well now I am starting to second guess myself if I should move up to the 'camcorder' category. A major reason is the zoom, I really like doing slow zoom ins and closeups and lead-in/out zooms.

Do these Lumix models have a manual zoom setting (slow/medium/pressure sensitive?) or does the zoom move quickly?

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »
Zoom speed is pressure sensitive for photos but seems automatic for video, it's fairly slow & smooth tho'.

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »
The Lumix is a great camera, but I do find myself getting frustrated with the zoom at times.  It's smooth but starts rather abruptly.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2011, 04:38:22 PM »
Picked up the zs3 from craigs list today! I have been looking for a replacement to the one I lost last year and I'd glad to have found one at an affordable price considering it is now discontinued.

This camera has firmware 1.2 so I don't think the generic batteries works, is that true? Has anyone been able to revert to version 1.1 to allow the generic batteries to work?

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2011, 05:06:20 AM »
Picked up the zs3 from craigs list today! I have been looking for a replacement to the one I lost last year and I'd glad to have found one at an affordable price considering it is now discontinued.

This camera has firmware 1.2 so I don't think the generic batteries works, is that true? Has anyone been able to revert to version 1.1 to allow the generic batteries to work?

I've not had any problems running generic batteries with ver 1.2 and I've got about 5 which are all different. I think ver 1.3 is the latest but I've not bothered upgrading to that. The Panasonic website says that firmware can't be downgraded but there are users who have been able to do this just by running the 1.1 firmware update - the hard part is finding a copy. The generic batteries can be bought fairly cheaply now so could be worth trying?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »
Thanks for the info! glad to know it was 1.3 which started the elimination of generic batteries.

Here is a generic one from b&h for $20: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/630359-REG/Pearstone_DMW_BCG10_DMW_BCG10_Lithium_Ion_Battery_Pack.html
The specs rate it a little lower than the one I currently have but that's expected.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2011, 04:10:08 AM »
Well in terms of capacity, the std Panasonic battery I have is 895mAh, but I have clone batteries ranging between 895-1250mAh and tbh haven't noticed any difference between them, in terms of how long they last.

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2011, 07:15:12 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/polewka123?feature=mhee#g/u

Been filming quite a lot of shows with mine over the last 12 months.

Very happy with it, stills for gigs are great.

To be honest I use it mosty for shows, and very little else.

Off to check out the TZ20 now......thanks for the link.
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #194 on: May 26, 2011, 01:11:55 AM »
Well in terms of capacity, the std Panasonic battery I have is 895mAh, but I have clone batteries ranging between 895-1250mAh and tbh haven't noticed any difference between them, in terms of how long they last.

$20 seems pretty fair for the one I linked. Can you post any sites that you've purchased batteries from?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com