Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix LX3  (Read 4152 times)

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Panasonic Lumix LX3
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:24:24 AM »
I wanted a point and shoot camera I could get into shows but still took decent photo's. This was the answer. Takes great photos with no flash in low light conditions. I love my Canon 40D, but it's to big to bring to shows 90% of the time. This Panasonic is a great point and shoot camera. It takes great HD video as well. I was very surprised. Here's a video from last night. The audio is my schoeps and not the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WPSqi0xj_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bnD708Kvno
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:10:06 AM by stober »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Panasonic Lumix LX3
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 10:33:49 AM »
Thanks for posting! That video is incredible considering it is just a point and shoot camera. I have not been let down panasonic and quite honestly I don't know if I want a dslr like a used nikon d200 or a lumix lx3 because it can give stunning, sexy results like this.

The only thing that I am discouraged about is the lack of a viewfinder, even if it is an electronic one I think it should be there for $500.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
My mom has an LX3 and she loves it.  I've played around with it and it is an impressive point and shoot.  Video is decent too, although the audio on the videos was significantly worse than on an iphone 3GS.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 05:58:36 PM »
Tremendous camera, very much the same as the Leica DLux4, but with different firmware.

I wouldn't even consider this sort of gear to be point-n-shoot.

See also Sigma DP-2 and Olympus PEN E-P1 for similar "rangefinder-styled" digicams.
They are all a little quirky, but great shooters.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:10:55 PM »
Nice looking vid.  I need a low-light, simple & small camera.  I'll have to check these out along with Bob's suggestions. Any others I should consider?

Any of these capable of time-lapse shooting?  I'm toying around with the idea of possibly sticking a small cam on my stand and just letting it run, snapping away every second or so & later 'slide-showing' videoing it with the recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 11:21:26 AM »
Nice looking vid.  I need a low-light, simple & small camera.  I'll have to check these out along with Bob's suggestions. Any others I should consider?

Any of these capable of time-lapse shooting?  I'm toying around with the idea of possibly sticking a small cam on my stand and just letting it run, snapping away every second or so & later 'slide-showing' videoing it with the recording.

I'm quite sure the Panasonics don't do time-lapses but check this forum out if you're interested in time-lapse photography.

http://timescapes.org/phpBB3/index.php
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline heikki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »

it's a great camera.  i've played around with one a few times and love it.

i really thought (again) about buying one recently but it just wasn't quite small enough.  i went with the canon s90 instead.

The only thing that I am discouraged about is the lack of a viewfinder

;)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577423-REG/Panasonic_DMW_VF1_DMW_VF1_External_Optical_View.html

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:35:15 PM by heikki »
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »
Hi,

I've been using an LX1 for a couple of years and love the way it works. 

I took a look at the lx3 specs and it looks like they've wisely worked out the noise in high iso shots.  This really is a great camera.  You could not have this form factor with a real viewfinder or shutter.  Another great thing about it is since it is all electronic, you can turn off all sound and work in silence.

And, the lens?  Que?  Leica I said before..... That's a lot of meatballs...

I highly recommend the camera.  Like anything, you learn its strengths and weaknesses and learn how to use it for your work.

Best,

John

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com