Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stand - Shure S15A or Manfrotto BAC1004?  (Read 9085 times)

Offline jaycdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Stand - Shure S15A or Manfrotto BAC1004?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »
For anyone who hasn't read through the whole thread, I am not buying a Shure S15A... ever. Like I said, every single person who has one seems to hate it.

I bought an 8' light stand and a 54" Matthews telescoping extension. This rig gets up 12', but having such a lightweight base, it's a little shaky. It works though. For situations where you need something highly portable to get up only 8'-10', I think it's ideal.

On another note, trying to mount a pair of AKG 414's on a Shure A27M mount in any kind of a stereo configuration is proving near impossible. The 414 shockmounts are teh suck for this! I'm gonna try the cheapo pair of modded SPA MC1s next. If that's not working, I'll have to somehow acquire a pair of SDC mics.

Now I really hate myself for selling those 460s. Anyone going to Phish Miami got a pair of loaner SDCs for me? Otherwise I might just have to bring the stereo Royer instead. Probably not an ideal mic for these shows either, but my options are limited. If only I had tons of cash... I'd have bought a pair of those Nevatons last week.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
On another note, trying to mount a pair of AKG 414's on a Shure A27M mount in any kind of a stereo configuration is proving near impossible. The 414 shockmounts are teh suck for this! I'm gonna try the cheapo pair of modded SPA MC1s next. If that's not working, I'll have to somehow acquire a pair of SDC mics.

The 414s will mount very easily if you use a pair of windtech clamps, one for each mic, and attach directly to the shaft of your stand.  Its a very flexible configuration.  I did this with 414s using the standard H85 and also the H100 mounts.  I do the same with TLM170s.  Always works well.  Very stable and allows for a variety of alignments from near coincident to NOS.

Search the rig pics forum where there are a lot of examples of this set-up with the windtechs.  If you can't find it, let me know and I'll take some pictures to post. 

I would never recommend mounting LDs on an extension bar atop a fully extended light stand. You should extend your lighting stand only 2/3-3/4 of the max height using the overlap at each junction to add rigidity and use more overlap the higher you get.  Otherwise you're just asking to lose your mics some day.  I know people do it all the time but there isn't much reason to run that high when you have the option of running the 414s in hyper mode.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline jaycdunn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 03:49:53 PM »
It's probably too late for me to acquire a pair of Windtech clamps for this gig.

Okay, I see that to do X-Y with LDC mics they need to be placed top and bottom like in a Blumlein configuration. This mount won't do that. I found a thread in the Rig Pics section that is helpful, but I'd need to buy clamps and a section of threaded pipe at the hardware store. it may be easier for me to just borrow a pair of SDC for now.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 04:12:01 PM by jaycdunn »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 12:31:40 PM »
If that's not working, I'll have to somehow acquire a pair of SDC mics.

Changing or buying different mics due to mounting challenges seems a bit rash.  What LKJI said:

The 414s will mount very easily if you use a pair of windtech clamps, one for each mic, and attach directly to the shaft of your stand.  Its a very flexible configuration.

A few pics.  Best setup I found with my 414s when running coincident (XY, MS, Blumlein).  Very stable since the mics aren't positioned well outside the stand's vertical center line like with some of the mount bars available.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »
I've had an S15a for years, and it's a stand, but I'd rather have something else. My wife was taping with it once and it came down on her finger when she was breaking down and took a piece of skin off. Plus I always seem to have trouble getting it to lock down when I pack it up. Other than that, it's lightweight and fairly compact. I have used it at 12' at Tower City in Cleveland and outdoors.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline jaycdunn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 03:32:10 PM »
Changing or buying different mics due to mounting challenges seems a bit rash.
An Evil, Milky Rash?

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 03:37:55 PM »
I've had an S15a for years, and it's a stand, but I'd rather have something else. My wife was taping with it once and it came down on her finger when she was breaking down and took a piece of skin off. Plus I always seem to have trouble getting it to lock down when I pack it up. Other than that, it's lightweight and fairly compact. I have used it at 12' at Tower City in Cleveland and outdoors.

Get an air cushioned stand it won't come down and do this.....they come down slowly....

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 11:25:40 PM »
it came down on her finger when she was breaking down and took a piece of skin off.

oh yeah, I forgot about that little feature.  That's one of the few pieces of gear I don't miss.

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
This is my stand and i know a few others on here have it also. Colapses pretty flat and goes 12-13 feet.

http://www.adorama.com/BG1004BAC.html

Steve

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »
can someone who owns the 1004BAC tell me what type of connector it terminates in at the top? i can't tell from online listings for it. thanks.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 06:46:27 PM »
can someone who owns the 1004BAC tell me what type of connector it terminates in at the top? i can't tell from online listings for it. thanks.

in this picture it shows the regular mounting stud with 5/8 threaded mount and a 1/4" adapter.

edit: preview is too close to post when beer is invovled
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:50:46 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 04:47:19 PM »
Ill put up a high res pic when i get home........

Steve

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com