Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which choice for a stereo large-diaphragm microphone?  (Read 7319 times)

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
which choice for a stereo large-diaphragm microphone?
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:44:08 AM »

I am tempted to buy a stereo mic to use with my new Naiant MidBox. I listen to jazz and classical music and my budget is up to 1500$. I tape in semi-stealth situationa in which the CMR capsules I have is handheld (through a short bar) and the mics are not much separated.

I am attracted by the Nevaton MC 48 but Busmann also has a couple of them (one is a ribbon ???).

Any suggestion for the one that would suits me best? What is the advantage over two mics?

Best, Mauro
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: which choice for a stereo large-diaphragm microphone?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:23:39 AM »
would you be using this in a situation or at a place where you are allowed to record? I just want to make sure I understand this because while some LD mics are stealthable (I've known folks to stealth with the TLM170s) you have to be a real jedi to pull it off...

I have some jazz samples of the busman BSCS-L if you are really interested in that one in particular, but there is zero chance you could stealth with it in a location where it will shine (anywhere near the sound source), same for his ribbon, they are just too big or bulky. The biggest advantage of the stereo mics is less stuff to keep up with, and the possible configuration of mid-side or blumlein.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:26:55 AM »
You may be able to find a good priced lsd-2 and as page mentioned, one of the advantages of stereo LD mics is that you can run different patterns.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:41:01 AM »
T+ page and rastasean;

for semistealth I intend that e'thing should go in a small bag to pass security at the entrance. Once I am inside, nobody is checking.

Jazz sample with the busman BSCS-L: yes, please. Why did you choose the large diagram over the ribbon?
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:55:06 AM »
There are some pretty sick deals on Audio-Technica 4050ST's right now. It seems to be on the smaller side as far as LD stereo mics go and it's also completely black so it won't stand out in a crowd too much.

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:17:04 AM »
There are some pretty sick deals on Audio-Technica 4050ST's right now. It seems to be on the smaller side as far as LD stereo mics go and it's also completely black so it won't stand out in a crowd too much.

Got any links to those deals? I'm not seeing it for less than $1300.00 online.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
T+ page and rastasean;

for semistealth I intend that e'thing should go in a small bag to pass security at the entrance. Once I am inside, nobody is checking.

Jazz sample with the busman BSCS-L: yes, please. Why did you choose the large diagram over the ribbon?

ribbons are figure 8s only, where as the LD had figure 8, omni, and cardioid patterns.

I'll dig out a sample tonight or tomorrow for you. Sounds nice, but I was all of 12 or 15 feet from the performers...

I saw one earlier on here, but someone painted their LSD2 powder black, ninja-style. If I was going to try and stealth with it, I would too.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:40:30 AM »

Got any links to those deals? I'm not seeing it for less than $1300.00 online.

eBay

Some are manufacturer refurbs but the used price also seems to be about the same. Around $700, maybe $650.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
don't overlook this mic which doesn't come up for sale very often, at least not in the yard

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145428.0

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 12:09:10 PM »
LSD2's are a pretty well known entity.  There are dozens or hundreds of tapes on the archive made with those.  But the LSD2 is big and heavy, and it therefore demands a more rugged stand.  To me the words LSD2 and "low profile" don't belong in the same sentence.

Since you have a pretty decent budget, also consider the Peluso P-stereo.  http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/PStereo.html
It's considerably smaller than the LSD2.  It's a little different flavor that may, or may not, appeal to you.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
I'd go with the MC48 personally, but I may have a slight touch of bias.   ;D 

We have never made a bad recording with ours and it's not too big and bulky.  It also is fairly light, especially compared to the LSD-2.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »
I tape in semi-stealth situationa in which the CMR capsules I have is handheld (through a short bar) and the mics are not much separated.

I re-read your original post, and it sounds to me like an LSD2/Pstereo/etc are probably too big a leap from where you are now.  Big mics demand a big stand, etc, not easy to get in the door.

You've got great gear, just try a different mounting setup.  For instance your CMR's on a DIN/ORTF bar, with a small FOB stand (compact, goes to about head high), or even a body mounted rig.  I can't imagine hand holding... my arms are tired just thinking about it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »
I can't imagine hand holding... my arms are tired just thinking about it.

small pole (held at waist level if standing) > hand holding. If nothing else then it looks strange for a dude to have one arm cocked up the entire show. Exception being if it's in a cast, but it still looks strange and drawing attention isn't the objective...

I still agree, I'd look at modifying you're CMR setup before I turn toward a stereo LD mic in this situation. Venue staff may not be looking now, but have an LD mic and I suspect they might.

Soling

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »
Just a heads up:  you will need to get your Naiant box retrofitted to run gain without phantom if you go down the path of a Stereo Ribbon.   Love my BASR-1 for onstage work running infront of a V3.
~s

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 11:29:44 PM »
My goodness, mc48 all day long.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com