Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonic Studios dsm6s ... Exiled?  (Read 7699 times)

Offline ryz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sonic Studios dsm6s ... Exiled?
« on: March 09, 2004, 08:34:49 PM »
I did a search and barely found 10 posts about them.  I may have somewhat unrefined taste in comparison to some of you, but overall I love shows recorded with these.  Has the taper elite completely exiled them?  

(Nice to meet you btw.)

Jason B

Re:Sonic Studios dsm6s ... Exiled?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 09:17:49 PM »
This was the first set of mics I had. Loved them at the time. My rig was DSM-6 > D3. I still listen to the tapes occassionally. Of course, I am waaaay too good for those mics nowadays.   ::)  ;)  

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 10:09:03 PM »
Surely he'll jump in here but Mel, imjustchillin, runs some DSM 6 S/Ls.  I don't know what the differences are but I always love his tapes.  I think eargasmic is a good description when listening through headphones.

-Kevin

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 04:11:47 AM »
I seem to be in the minority here, but every Tool tape I have with any incarnation of the DSMs has a strange, can't-put-my-finger-on-it-but-I-don't-like-it quality that emerges after listening to a tape for a few minutes. If used in ideal conditions, they can rock... but then, they always have that quality nagging. IMO.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 06:15:32 AM »
I dunno, depends if they are used right.  I have some that sound awesome and some that I don't know why I bother keeping in my collection.

AdamZ

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 08:46:14 AM »
If you mount them correctly on either side of your head, the tapes are good.  The power supply thing helps the sound too so the mic preamp on the deck isnt the only signal converter. I've made some smokin tapes and always use em for stealth jobs. DSM 6L.
You gotta get to the sweet FOB spot, and dont move if they're on your head.
Ive heard one where the dude clipped em to a lapel on either side of his chest  (thus not having the baffle between em) and those kinda suck. Leonard made em to be HRTF and thats how they should be used.
Open ear headphones are the champ for listening or a big ass loudspeaker b/c if it's worth playing, it's worth playing loudly.
I love my DSM6L>PA6LC>D7 rig and the tapes I get from it.
AdamZ

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5

Offline ryz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 01:12:58 PM »
it is nice to know that some of you like them.  now how come no one recomends them?  better bang for the buck elsewhere.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 04:42:35 PM »
because there is better stuff out there, and the EL model is almost getting to the price of 4061's

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 06:32:33 PM »
i like em and still do. yeah i'll recommend them.  excellent mic for video cameras too, which is what i use it for primarily.  

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 06:39:50 PM »
i like em and still do. yeah i'll recommend them.  excellent mic for video cameras too, which is what i use it for primarily.  

definetly agree with you!!

I pulled a smokin Local H recording with them last year... ask Firmdragon! on fire! haha :)

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 03:03:38 AM »
I never thought they were any better than any of the other stealth mics in that range....not worth the extra cash over the CSB's or Sound Pro's.  I think you have to go with the DPA's to move up in sound quality in mics that small.
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 06:47:04 PM »
Hey I have a set of those but haven't used 'em in a long while.  I remember taping the Dead at the Cap. Center FOB and the ate up the Phil BOMBS when the section got hammered...that was a good night ;D
They are decent for the money back then but there are better mis out there too....worth buying IMO....although I don't know what they cost now.
I use to use them w/ a D6  easy and small rig that needs to be FOB and worn as recommended.

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 09:41:46 AM »
first set i owned>d8.  made great recordings with them taped to a painting pole in modified din.  wore them on my head once or twice, but i made too much damn noise.  never used them on myself again.  the simple days.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 12:13:08 PM »
If you wanna hear a great show with these mics i strongly suggest checking out sigur ros 11/4/02.  That is a wonderful sounding show.

Offline imjustchillin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2004, 06:57:20 PM »
as kevin said earlier i use the dsm 6 s/l's w/ the pa-6lc3b roll off. i have been using them for a couple years now and have been very pleased with the results. the hrtf recording method is however very important to the sound. i (nerf) mine when on a stand and make sure they are at my ears when worn binaurally. i made the mistake of placing the glasses higher up on my head in the past w/ sketch results. produces a very thin sound. gave them a a 20" spread last week and liked that sound from a near blacony. i feel like i've learned about recording various rooms with these mic's. ready to add something like an smb-1 in the near future to tighten them up a bit. i'll post some more detailed pics of the nerf system this week. would be glad to supply some samples as well. peace all....Mel

lbcfan@hotmail.com

Offline arawak420

• Taperssection Regular
  • We Are Creatures Of Love, & Victims Of Hate
    • Arawak420 Live Music List
Re: Sonic Studios dsm6s ... Exiled?
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 09:29:01 PM »
i just picked a pair of these up for $200 from a good new yoker taper. i got a sweet deal cause he is moving into a new place and his wife is having a baby.

cant wait to test them out here next week.
http://www.phishhook.com/lists/arawak420

Sonic Studios DSM-6s/EL- >PA-6 -> NeurosHD II

"until the colour of a mans skin is no more significant than the colour of his eyes,everywhere is war."
Haile Selassie I

Offline arawak420

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 05:34:12 PM »
im running the dsm6s/el models. cost about $650 new. the el version are Extra Low frequency. i record reggae only. the L's are the low frequency which doesnt cut the bass frequency quite as well as the el models.

"until the colour of a mans skin is no more significant than the colour of his eyes,everywhere is war."
Haile Selassie I

Ray76

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 06:12:32 PM »
im running the dsm6s/el models. cost about $650 new. the el version are Extra Low frequency. i record reggae only. the L's are the low frequency which doesnt cut the bass frequency quite as well as the el models.

thank God the damn lions are gone.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 07:32:59 PM »
I've always loved these and found that compared to the 4060s I owned the DSMs wern't as accurate but were more pleseant to listen too than the DPAs.  Mel a.k.a. imjustchillin owns over all other DSM tapers with his Dave Matthews Victor Steinbrueck Park Seattle, WA September 29th, 2002 DSM tape.  This show is one of the most amazing tapes I've ever heard, and I've heard some damn good tapes.

just my $.02

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Ray76

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 08:05:29 PM »
I've always loved these and found that compared to the 4060s I owned the DSMs wern't as accurate but were more pleseant to listen too than the DPAs.  Mel a.k.a. imjustchillin owns over all other DSM tapers with his Dave Matthews Victor Steinbrueck Park Seattle, WA September 29th, 2002 DSM tape.  This show is one of the most amazing tapes I've ever heard, and I've heard some damn good tapes.

just my $.02

peace, chris

And congrats arawak. Please dont bring back the lions buddy.
+T ray

Offline arawak420

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2005, 12:22:50 PM »
hay man i read your post 2 messages ago. you dont have to post twice in reference to the same thing. you can fing my recordings in the reggae section of eazytree now known as DAD. the mics i have i have to turn the first bass frequency up for the bass to sound right. sick having mics with built in bass roll-off.

Haile Selassie I

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2005, 12:36:13 PM »
the mics i have i have to turn the first bass frequency up for the bass to sound right. sick having mics with built in bass roll-off.

Sounds like too much rolloff, if you have to turn the bass back up later.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2005, 01:02:13 PM »
I've always loved these and found that compared to the 4060s I owned the DSMs wern't as accurate but were more pleseant to listen too than the DPAs. 

Glad im not the only one who prefers sonicS to dpa =)

these mics have the most perfect sound to my ears.
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline imjustchillin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 02:17:28 AM »
"This show is one of the most amazing tapes I've ever heard, and I've heard some damn good tapes."

wow, thanks thats quite a compliment. it was a good day!   :)

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 11:29:50 AM »
I loved them when I borrowed them from a pdx taper many many many moons ago. Then, I went shopping for them and couldn't handle the $650 price tag. Just seems like there are some VERY nice options comprable for much less.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 51 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com