Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gefell actives  (Read 6519 times)

Offline utahtaper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Gefell actives
« on: March 25, 2004, 10:40:52 AM »
A while back I thought I heard a discussion about this. I can't find it in the archive though. Was there talk about them making an active set for the SMS2000 series?
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:Gefell actives
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 10:44:18 AM »
I remember the conversation, and I believe it was Bkirby who had some inside info possibly.

For what it is worth, I have checked with JK Labs and the pricing for their gefell system is:

for the box is $890, and the cables/cap connections were $590....30% prepayment for them to get started working.  Estimated lead time 8-10 wks

Depending on whether the rumor of MG coming up with a solution, I may pull the trigger on the JK system fall of this year.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 10:50:41 AM »
Is that $590 per cable, or for both?  Also, are the caps hard-wired on to the cables or can you interchange the caps?
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline utahtaper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 10:52:56 AM »
I remember the conversation, and I believe it was Bkirby who had some inside info possibly.

For what it is worth, I have checked with JK Labs and the pricing for their gefell system is:

for the box is $890, and the cables/cap connections were $590....30% prepayment for them to get started working.  Estimated lead time 8-10 wks

Depending on whether the rumor of MG coming up with a solution, I may pull the trigger on the JK system fall of this year.
But is there an active cable to go between the bodies and the caps?
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Jolida Tube CD player

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 10:53:51 AM »
Is that $590 per cable, or for both?  Also, are the caps hard-wired on to the cables or can you interchange the caps?

caps are interchangeable, and the $590 is for the dual cable assembly as I understand it.  It is also misleading in that you can take it that you dont need their device, but we actually would to power them appropriately.  They price it separately because they do so much custom type stuff with that JK Device (variable gain, no gain, rolloff) so that it makes it easier to price.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 10:55:46 AM by nickgregory »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 10:54:55 AM »

But is there an active cable to go between the bodies and the caps?

the JK labs solution removes the bodies from the equation...only uses the caps and builds "body amplifier" circuitry into the cables and JK DVC
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 10:56:13 AM by nickgregory »

Offline utahtaper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 11:06:54 AM »
I would be more interested in an active system like the Schoeps or the Neumanns where the bodies are utilized. Is there any talk of the being made by MG?
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Jolida Tube CD player

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 11:09:08 AM »
I would be more interested in an active system like the Schoeps or the Neumanns where the bodies are utilized. Is there any talk of the being made by MG?

if memory serves, Bkirby on this board was the only one who had any knowledge on this happening, may want to PM him.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 11:09:59 AM »
to your question though, I have not seen anything official from gefell

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 11:16:49 AM »
Hey,
I haven't heard from any of the engineers at MG in a little while so I just sent them a new email requesting info. on how the testing was coming along. I will post something once I hear more again...
Brad

Offline utahtaper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 11:24:23 AM »
Hey,
I haven't heard from any of the engineers at MG in a little while so I just sent them a new email requesting info. on how the testing was coming along. I will post something once I hear more again...
Brad
Hey that would be great! I'm very interested to hear those results.
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Jolida Tube CD player

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 11:38:20 AM »
Great!  Please report back...I too would rather go with the true Gefell option because I am not convinced that the Gefell sound would not be changed if I used the JK Labs device without the bodies....tough to buy without having heard it.

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 12:07:55 PM »
I just heard from one of the guys I have been in touch with and he is going to the factory on Monday and will hopefully follow up with me afterwards. He said they have been testing something similar, but doesn't know the outcome as of yet. Of course, this really means nothing as of yet. As he always tells me, Germany is VERY slow! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 12:42:56 PM »
I just heard from one of the guys I have been in touch with and he is going to the factory on Monday and will hopefully follow up with me afterwards. He said they have been testing something similar, but doesn't know the outcome as of yet. Of course, this really means nothing as of yet. As he always tells me, Germany is VERY slow! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

it's all that damn vacation time! lazy europeans  ;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ingsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 10:26:24 PM »

any news on this? was thinking of going the JK labs route this summer but would rather not if i don't have to.  thanks in advance.  
Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com