Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stand upgrade - taller / sturdier  (Read 6941 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Stand upgrade - taller / sturdier
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts on using weights vs. tape or anchors.  Had to resist the thought of bringing a cordless hammer drill + tapcon concrete anchor screws to the next event.

One thing that affects stability is the overall play in the joints.  I have one stand that is pretty rigid, but can't find the brand name on it. 

There's a detailed PDF file on GS by Lotus7 on how to build a carbon fiber tube extension for the Manfrotto Voltronic just bought.  https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/845555-ultra-lightweight-mic-stand-extension-diy.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:58:57 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 03:05:21 PM »
I've been considering upgrading my stand also.

I recently bought the following for clamping situations and love them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33185-REG/Matthews_429499_Telescopic_Baby_Stand_Extension.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33142-REG/Matthews_426016_Baby_Stand_Extension.html

Should I buy a stand I could extend with the items above or go with a FULL stand?

There was recently some talk about people cutting down the legs to reduce the footprint (I forget which thread).
I think I like that idea as long as it can still handle the height\weight.

Also hoping to get out at a reasonable price.

Thoughts?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 05:31:02 PM »
A few things, cutting down the legs will make it less sturdy, I've cut the legs in the past on my fob stand & it was noticeable. Adding an extension would make it even worse I think. I have two smaller stands, a 7 ft & 10.5 ft that are made by Impact plus a Manfrotto extension pole, I've been considering just buying a good Manfrotto stand that does 12 ft so I have less to carry & better quality, the Impacts are ok at best, the Manfrotto stands are much higher quality & worth the price. Just my two cents but I run two pairs of full body mics at a time with one set possibly being my 414's, if I were still running actives I wouldn't mind the Impacts as much.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
Glad to see a response from an actual user.  My thought was that a screw on extension would not likely be as stable as a telescoping section in a regular stand.  My impression is some cut stand legs to fit a stand in between seats.  If anchored to a seat or something, I guess it works. 

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 07:50:30 PM »
Actually the extension is pretty solid, between my two stands it does seem a little better on one over the other though. I can't figure out if it's because of the diameter of the stands or the actual stud, I was just messing it with it this weekend testing to see whether I wanted to buy a new stand or not. For now I'm sticking with the extension but I still think a regular stand is more stable fwiw. As far as chopping the legs for theater seats, again due to some testing this weekend I've decided to stick with my clamp on the arm extension pole combo. I did buy about $350 in assorted clamps, hardware & articulating arms this weekend to make sure I'm covered for every possible scenario without having to run a stand between seats.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 08:32:36 PM »
$350--sounds like a lot, but anything sold to photographers is priced sky high. 

I feel better about clamping to some solid object than when I just have my stand.  When using a stand, I try to sandwich it somewhere where it's not likely to be knocked over or someone trip over it.  A stand is like a wookie magnet. 

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »
It was a lot to spend but I wanted to make the investment so I didn't have to worry about being in a venue where I wish I had this clamp or arm to get my mics where I want them, the peace of mind was worth it to me but of course I'll probably still end up in a situation where if I only had this little doodad I'd be exactly where I want to be. Regardless I think I've got it pretty well covered at this point.
Yep, the stands seem to attract the wooks plus you're always guarding the legs & bag hoping it doesn't get accidentally kicked while people walk past, again peace of mind. If I can clamp I will every time, helps me enjoy the show knowing my gear is safe. Back to the topic though, for ease of use & stability buy one of the larger Manfrotto's, it's worth the extra few bucks over the Impacts IMO.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »
i'm personally curious as to your need to hoist microphones that high?  is it a venue specific requirement?

i've just never understood flying mics that high, the soundguy (while he may be high) isnt mixing for that point in the room (or at least I'd hope not.)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 04:35:26 PM »
In recording classical music, the main pair of mics is usually pretty high just behind the conductor to capture the overall sound with the least noise from the audience and other distractions. 

Recording rock shows with stacks of PAs--this makes no sense because the loudest source at the microphones is going to come from the stacks of speakers. 

Where you put your mics in a particular situation depends on the situation.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 05:03:19 PM »
I rarely run my stuff much past a foot over people's heads but I like the stability a larger stand provides when its not fully extended, especially when running a pair of full body mics & LD's at the same time.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »
Update - I've now been able to use the 1004BAC a few times at full height.  GREAT stand, and fits beautifully in the lacrosse stick back DigiGal recommended.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better stand in the 12ft range for the price.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com