Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can you stealth with a preamp & JB3?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline bmr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
Can you stealth with a preamp & JB3?
« on: October 17, 2004, 04:41:03 AM »
I've started to think about a complete upgrade/overhaul of my equipment, but I've come to the realization that I will be doing most (if not all) of the recording in clubs and small rooms, ranging from 200-people clubs to 1800-people rectangular rooms.

At the clubs, I know there won't be any searching going on, but at the same time I won't be able to waltz in with a stand and a full bag and set up shop somewhere. I know the end item of my rig will be a JB3, and I'll need a UA-5 type preamp (or something of similar quality/size) to power the mics (of which I haven't decided on yet, but will have to be stealth).

Is it realistic to be able to stealth with a preamp? Or should I give up my hope and run something else altogether? I'm picturing walking into the club without any bags, just the equipment in my pockets or maybe tucked into the wasteband on the small of my back.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Can you stealth with a preamp & JB3?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 04:45:32 AM »
it is feasible... but the ua5 would just be a touch to big for my liking if i had to stealth

what is your budget for a pre/ad?

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 04:54:28 AM »
it is feasible... but the ua5 would just be a touch to big for my liking if i had to stealth

what is your budget for a pre/ad?

$250-400, probably. I liked what I saw from the UA-5, but I'll admit I haven't spent that much time evaluating the pros and cons of my options. I'm still learning how phantom power plays a role in powering mics and what devices give it, and which mics do or don't need it, just to give you an idea of my novice-ness...

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 05:53:40 AM »
are you planning on buying mics or a pre/ad first? that could/would play a major role in what pre/ad you buy in my opinion

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 08:55:46 AM »
At the clubs, I know there won't be any searching going on, but at the same time I won't be able to waltz in with a stand and a full bag and set up shop somewhere.

If that's the case, then yeah - you absolutely can stealth with a pre/ADC and the NJB3.  Without a heavy pat-down, I've stealthed with the following gear:

MK4 caps
KC5 active cables (5 meter)
CMC6 mic bodies
Lunatec V3
6v SLA for the V3
coax cable
D100 deck

No pat-down, and for the budget you've indicated for the pre/ADC ($250-400), I'd go with the UA-5.  Assuming you're comfortable schlepping a full set of gear in (which shouldn't be a problem if there's no pat-down).  Which UA-5 I'd recommend (digi-modded stock, warm, presence, transparent) would depend on your mics.  Select your mics first, then worry about the pre/ADC.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 02:38:21 PM »
At the clubs, I know there won't be any searching going on, but at the same time I won't be able to waltz in with a stand and a full bag and set up shop somewhere.

If that's the case, then yeah - you absolutely can stealth with a pre/ADC and the NJB3.  Without a heavy pat-down, I've stealthed with the following gear:

MK4 caps
KC5 active cables (5 meter)
CMC6 mic bodies
Lunatec V3
6v SLA for the V3
coax cable
D100 deck

No pat-down, and for the budget you've indicated for the pre/ADC ($250-400), I'd go with the UA-5.  Assuming you're comfortable schlepping a full set of gear in (which shouldn't be a problem if there's no pat-down).  Which UA-5 I'd recommend (digi-modded stock, warm, presence, transparent) would depend on your mics.  Select your mics first, then worry about the pre/ADC.  :)

Very reassuring to hear, thanks. Without actually having all the gear in front of me and getting it set up, I wasn't sure of the feasibility of it all.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 08:41:17 PM »
Brian,

How in god's name did you get all of that stuff into the show?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 09:07:38 PM »
Brian,

How in god's name did you get all of that stuff into the show?

Without a pat-down?  Easy.  One of these.  SLA in one side pocket.  V3 / mics / caps in middle pouch.  DAT in other side pocket.  Cut holes in the bottom of the bag to make enough room for the XLRs to protrude from the V3 and run cables (power and coax) between the side pockets to the middle pocket.  Cinch up tight against my lower back, wear an oversized fleece vest with lots of "hang".  Walk right in.  No problem.  Remember, this is NO pat-down.  I'd never get it all past a pat-down.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 02:17:41 PM »
I've crotched the v3 and worn the 6v sla in a neoprene back brace with velcro around the front. Then I run the coax from the v3 into my front pocket where the deck is. Like Brian said, I wouldn't be able to get this thru a patdown.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 03:50:56 PM »
you're not going to get much pre-wise in that price range really. and yea, what kind of mics are you going with. if you go with something like at853s from sound pros you can't use a pre like that anyhow. i'm thinking maybe not a pre, just the Mics > ad-20 > jb3 would work fine as the ad-20 does give at least 16db of gain or so.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 07:34:37 PM »
Yeah the Mics -> PS2 -> AD20 -> NJB3 is the rig I run.  Sounds nice, lacks a little bit of the lower ends but still brings out some nice recordings.  If you are planning on dong a lot of stealthing this would be a good fit. 

My 2 cents

Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 08:24:47 PM »
Yeah the Mics -> PS2 -> AD20 -> NJB3 is the rig I run

Me too. I can handle a pat down aslong as there is no sock check.

I would not even think about bring my UA5.
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com