Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Differances between Sound Professionals mics????  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Differances between Sound Professionals mics????
« on: November 24, 2004, 09:34:43 PM »
I'm in the process of building a new stealthing rig and have some questions about mics.  I've upgraded to a Nomade Jukebox 3 which I've found to be seriously advantageous over minidisc mainly because of recording time.  The other huge advantage is not have to crotch a bundle of discs to fumble around with during the show.  As for mics I'm looking at the Sound Proffesionals mini-cardiods.  What I'm wondering about is what is the real differance between the series of mics they offer.  The website doesn't go into much detail at all.  It seems like the choice setup is the SP-CMC-8 series mics.  From different recordings I've heard these have produced some extremely good sounding stealth recordings.

So what I'm wondering about is the following:

What SP mics would be recommended for VERY GOOD quality stealth shows.
What battery box and options would I want.
Any similiarly priced products recommend over SP mics?

Any and all input is appreciated.
Really not very evil at all now...

Ray76

Re: Differances between Sound Professionals mics????
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 09:42:47 PM »
I have heard many folks rave about the sp-cmc-8s.
I will refer  you to this thread: http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=30642.0
The entire thread talks about SP mics.
Of course, Sound Proffesionals has amazing customer service, and will answer any and all questions you have regarding their products.Best customer service ive ever gotten.
The JB3 kicks ass.I love mine so much I bought 2!

This site is amazing, too. You came to the right place.
Good Luck,man.Ray
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 07:37:39 AM by Ray76 »

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 12:49:13 AM »
The SP-CMC-8's sound extremely good for the price and those are most likely what I'm going to go with.  I'm mainly recording bands that tend to be LOUD AS FUCK so I am wondering what batt-box and roll off options I should choose with these bad boys.  Also, is there anything else that I should have besides the power unit, mics and the JB3 for making good recordings?

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 01:06:09 AM »
Also, running into a JB3 do I want pre-amps built into the power unit?  Not exactly sure what differance this makes but I've seen people talking about this option in other threads.  Fill me in.

Offline Fisherking

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 04:53:28 AM »
I am also thinking about getting these. I have a cap that have net on the outside of the fabric and I used to have my Core-sound cardioids there (Above my ears) without anyone noticing.

Today I use cmc-4 and they are great but to big to hide in my cap (trucker cap is not an option). I plan on keeping my cmc-4 mics but the question is:

Should I go for the cardioids (cmc-8) or the hypercards (cmc-10) ???

I am going to use these outdoors and with a AD20 (with built in power for the mics and miniplug) -> JB3
DPA 4061/SPcmc4->SP SB1/AD20->SonyD100/JB3

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 06:21:31 AM »
Both the CMC-8s and CMC-10s use the same body with different capsules. They're both out of stock at the moment anyway.

Fisherking, are the CMC4s stable when you mount them on your collar? I'm thinking of getting a pair but was concerned a little about the extra size/weight.

Likwitkrazee, definitely get an SP battery box with bass-roll off. Or alternately theres the box Jon of JK labs is working on, which is what I'm aiming towards.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 12:48:25 PM »
Today I use cmc-4 and they are great but to big to hide in my cap (trucker cap is not an option).

Lots of other hat options from which to choose, there's gotta be something you can wear to the shows into which the mics'll fit.  Getting the mics up on top of your head will make a big improvement in sound quality, IMO.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Fisherking

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 02:46:31 PM »
I don´t have my mics on my collar but have sewed in a elastic band at the end of the shoulderpads on a jacket. I have my DAT in the innerpocket (can´t fit the JB3 and AD-20 in my jacket) and batterybox in another innerpocket and all the cables hidden in the jacket itself. The fabric takes away a few dbs on the treble but thats easily fixed in my computer. Worked like a charm so far.

I have tried a kangool type of hat but they are not that popular in Europe so you look like a fool in a crowd. I don´t have any hair to hide the cables in either so the backwards turned cap is my best option. I usually tape in daylight outdoors so I need to keep the mics hidden. A second pair of mics is always good to have anyway so if the cmc-8 is as good as the cmc-4 I will probably get a pair in the spring.
DPA 4061/SPcmc4->SP SB1/AD20->SonyD100/JB3

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 04:59:45 PM »
Cool man, you in europe too??
Me as well. Been here for goin on 4 years.
Ray.

thierryhenry

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 11:25:58 AM »
8's Rule, but either 8's or 4's the difference isn't that huge. If you could get 8's off Ebay or somewhere else for cheaper it would be better, but spending the extra $40-$50 off SP's site, might not BE that necessary. All great mics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com