Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBD > XLR > UA-5 (stoopid question)  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SBD > XLR > UA-5 (stoopid question)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2005, 06:14:48 PM »
So as long as it's hooked up to a PC, it is not limited in any way? +T for the help.

Yes, other than the limitations - as designed - in its stock form, i.e. no capability to run as a standalone unit w/o PC.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2005, 06:23:03 PM »
If you are getting an XLR balanced connection from the board 6dB is gained   ;D
Whether or not you want it is another matter....an XLR > RCA adapter will drop 6dB just by moving to unbalanced.

You mean a adapter with a transformer right...?

Sorry, wasn't trying to confuse.  All I was saying is that if you take a balanced connection and unbalance it, you lose 6 dB (because you end up only using half of the balanced signal).  No transformers involved.

So - if I use unbalanced mic cables on say, a Nak 300 - I will end up with 6db less than if I use balanced cables...?

I always thought the balanced v unbalnaced thing was about the nature of the connection...particularly how the ground is used...longer runs, better shielding etc...

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2005, 08:59:58 PM »
If your SBD feed is from an XLR - you better be sure your XLR ins are expecting that kind of signal...if you have to use RCAs then perhaps the transformers are in order or a device like this...

I pulled a "Stealth" SBD of Muddy Waters Son using the XLR in's On my stock UA-5>Jb3 , And let me tell you . It shined  ;D
I'll load a sample here shortly. I was very happy with the Results . Just use 10 "oclock" as a starting level is my experience with the half dozen SBD feeds I have got . all have been full sized consoles using XLR in.

Nick

edit to include a very small sample. And remember it's 64 Kbps  :-\ , But I think you get the idea that it was a hot Feed, as you should hear some of the other parts.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 09:28:45 PM by Momule (AKA powerboatman) »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2005, 01:27:44 AM »
So - if I use unbalanced mic cables on say, a Nak 300 - I will end up with 6db less than if I use balanced cables...?

I always thought the balanced v unbalnaced thing was about the nature of the connection...particularly how the ground is used...longer runs, better shielding etc...

Yes, if the source is balanced to begin with.  For simplicity, let's just pretend you're running some DC voltage on the cable.  In a balanced situation you've got 3 connections: ground, + and - (in a mic, the + and - are the signal, one in phase and one inverted)
Now let's suppose you have +5 volts on the + side and -5 volts on the '-' side (that's kinda how your mic signal comes out on a balanced connection)
On true balanced input, you generate the signal by looking at the difference b/w + and -, which in this case is 10 volts
If you unbalance that, you end up just using one 'side'.  You use the difference b/w the + and the ground, which is 5 volts
You're left with half the signal, which is equivalent to 6 dB.

I don't know the Nak 300 so I can't comment.

So the reason balanced cables are good is because anything that happens to one wire happens to the other (like rf).  So when you get to the end of the cable and look at what's different about the 2 signals, they have that 'interference' in common - and it cancels out.  :D  You get cleaner transmission.  But it only works up to the point that you keep the balance.
 i.e. putting a RCA>XLR adapter on an RCA cable and then running a length of balanced cable won't do ya any good because the signal wasn't balanced to begin with.

did that make any sense?  ???
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 01:35:54 AM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com