Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how do you like your iRiver for recording to wav?  (Read 6450 times)

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
how do you like your iRiver for recording to wav?
« on: April 11, 2005, 03:34:11 PM »
in the search i found a few threads:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=23412.0

seems the iriver firmware at the time of july 04 required users to hit stop, wait for the iriver to write the file and then to start it up again.. how long did this take? and did it do it automatically after 74 minutes if you aren't keeping an eye on it? cut time from when it stops recording to starting? recording stops when the wav file reaches 795 MB in size. sucks.

in the thread: "In October, the recording level problem looks like it will be fixed by a firmware update. " .. did this happen? what is the latest status with the firmwares, as i know they take their sweet as time on these things..

did they finally add some meters like the Nj3?

looking at this from aug 04: "Take a look at iRivers newest hard drive-based player, the H340.  Yes, you can set the recording level, but only before you start recording (ala Sony Minidisc).  There are still no level meters on the H340...." this amkes me not too stoked to buy an iriver.. the whole 'non-on the fly' level changing sucks!

did the H340 come out in usa? or just in japan?
http://nordic.iriver.se/products.php?p=19

and judging from this letter from iriver: "iRiver has a plan to support WAV format on H340. However, we don't have the confirm day that when the new firmware will be release. iRiver announces the new release firmware on the website. Please visit www.iRiver.com frequently. You can check the new firmware from the following link.
http://www.iriver.com/support/download.asp"

it sounds like even the H340 doesn't support recording in wav? the H320 does thgouh right?

from this:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35002.0
it seems only the 1X0 series does rec in wav..

... overall? it seems like a NO for a competitor to the Nj3, at least now... sucks i dropped by nj3 today... i guess i'll look into fixing that instead of buying an iriver.. but i did like the FM receiver and the smallness of the iriver...

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline timP

• Needs to get out more...
Re: how do you like your iRiver for recording to wav?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 03:36:38 PM »
dunno.... gave up on my 120 awhile back... still use it alot for data transfers from machine to machine and long car trips..

heard they had a korean language firmware that had meters

check out misticriver. something    it has a bunch of threads with news
?>FR2LE

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 07:27:16 PM »
These people are working on 3rd party firmware - maybe put in a feature request over there?

http://www.rockbox.org/
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 09:27:07 PM »
Here's a whole bunch of HD recordings and their specs:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35002.0
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 09:44:30 PM »
thanks for that.. I saw it already and was asking about specifically irivers as besides a NJ3, seem to be the cheapest / smallest HD solution for what we do..

overall i'm not 'wowed' by the iriver feedback.. nj3 sure does have the edge i'd say..
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline Weazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 10:48:40 AM »
just wait for the rockbox firmware. all issues will be in the past then.
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 12:23:01 PM »
is there a tracking page to see the progress of the rockbox firmware? was it due last october? ... it sounds like a good thing! once that hits iriver will be a great recording device for sure..

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 03:45:14 PM »
thats why i bought one now, once rock box is out it will be hard to find an ihp120 or 140.
and they sell pretty quick all ready on ebay and alike pages.

here is the the rockbox tracking page.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IriverPort
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 03:55:58 PM by Weazel »

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 12:20:46 PM »
i had this idea and asked the rockbox team for a software based bass roll off option. it could  be possiible if the cpu load isn't to high.. this gonna be cool.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 09:44:16 PM »
Thanks for the info on Rockbox!  Do you know if they're going to make it so it can record for longer than the ~80 minute (795 or whatever it is mb) limit? 
DPA4060
R09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 09:50:56 PM »
Re Rockbox - I'll believe all the great new features / capabilities when I see 'em.  Call me skeptical, call me cynical...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 05:01:26 AM »
Thanks for the info on Rockbox!  Do you know if they're going to make it so it can record for longer than the ~80 minute (795 or whatever it is mb) limit? 

there will be only a fat32 filesize limit i believe (2 gig), and will support continuess recording in a new file.

read the forum on the rockbox page.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 05:04:11 AM by Weazel »

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 04:31:51 PM »
I have the H140.  I record with it.

Pros:  It's tiny, fits in your pocket.  It records to wav, and then is hard drive, plug and play, no sound card needed.  It's a nifty little music player too, with fm radio, .ogg support, all the shit you get from an iPod.

Cons:  74 minute file limit on recording, you gotta do a "flip".  Regular sample drops that bother some people, personally my ear can't hear it, but some have reported an audible "click" at regular intervals.  No recording levels while you are recording, so you'd have to get a separate meter to monitor your levels on the fly.

I think the JB3 is still the best option for a HDD recorder, but I do just fine with the iRiver.

Peace.
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 01:36:24 PM »
i think rockbox allready supports recording alternative firmware for iriver 1xx  series.
plays flac too now. ogg and more features comming.

www.rockbox.org

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 01:54:23 PM »
I have an H120.  I like the size, I like the incredible battery life,  I like the fact that the built-in pre is acceptable so I don't have to carry as much less gear and can just plug and go, I like the fact that although it's harder to LEARN, it's easier to use once you know your way around it (compared to the JB3 that is), I like the playback sound on it, I like the fact that it's a plug-n-play hard drive and that it has USB2 (uploading on the JB3 is soooo slow w/usb 1!).

My main complaint with it is the file recording size limit. If Rockbox can fix that, I can even live with the tiny dropouts (although of course I'd prefer to get rid of those too!).

The JB3 is (I have to grudgingly admit) still probably a better recorder, but as a greater compromise between size and function, the iRiver is great.
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com