Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: at 4050 MAJOR fluff....  (Read 7894 times)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
at 4050 MAJOR fluff....
« on: June 16, 2005, 09:38:42 PM »
I taped with these tonight for the first time, and honestly, this is the best AUD tape ive heard by me or anyone else so far. Maybe my ears are jacked, but damn these mics sound good.

I had no idea....

Ray

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: at 4050 MAJOR fluff....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 09:48:38 PM »
While I know the AT 4050s are great mics - even though I've never used them myself - remember that your success tonight may not have resulted from the mics alone.  Location, config, venue, sound system, mix, etc. all play a role.  Perhaps everything just came together at once tonight to deliver outstanding results.  I wish it happened more often!  That said, if everything came together but the mics sucked, that would've been the pits.  Great to hear you're digging the 4050s, Ray.

Don't keep us in suspense.  What'd you record?  With what pattern?  Setup in what config?  MP3 sample, perhaps?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Ray76

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 10:11:38 PM »
While I know the AT 4050s are great mics - even though I've never used them myself - remember that your success tonight may not have resulted from the mics alone.  Location, config, venue, sound system, mix, etc. all play a role.  Perhaps everything just came together at once tonight to deliver outstanding results.  I wish it happened more often!  That said, if everything came together but the mics sucked, that would've been the pits.  Great to hear you're digging the 4050s, Ray.

Don't keep us in suspense.  What'd you record?  With what pattern?  Setup in what config?  MP3 sample, perhaps?

I recorded South Dirty, a americana/country supergroup in a suck ass hall with a dumbass soundman.
small hall, I dont know what config(i had to improvise and use the sp c4 shockmounts to hold the at 4050s, fit really well. ) about 7 feet up. pretty much in the center of the room, cardioid pattern . ???i dunno. I will get the sample up tommorow. Honestly at first i thought the tape was the SBD feed, and that the soundman was doing a kickass job, until i heard the sbd tape and it sounded like reverb soaked garbage. maybe the fates were smilin on me, but damn, this sounds good. Samples tommorow, as its 4 am here, and i have to work in , oh, 3 hours....hehe
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 10:23:19 PM by BigRay »

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 10:46:51 PM »

agreed, whenever I pull a killer recording of a show using a PA system I gotta give props to the sound guy for making it sound so good.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 10:53:45 PM »

agreed, whenever I pull a killer recording of a show using a PA system I gotta give props to the sound guy for making it sound so good.

cept this guy sucked balls and everyone said the sound wasnt good at all, including the band, the manager and most of the fans.

Ray

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 10:55:49 PM »
cept this guy sucked balls and everyone said the sound wasnt good at all, including the band, the manager and most of the fans.

Except he couldn't have sucked that bad, else your AUD recording of the PA wouldn't have turned out so well!  If the house mix sucks, the greatest mics in the world won't help the recording.
Roland R-05

Ray76

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 10:58:11 PM »

Except he couldn't have sucked that bad, else your AUD recording of the PA wouldn't have turned out so well!  If the house mix sucks, the greatest mics in the world won't help the recording.

damn brian , youre killing my delusion.  ;) :really_sucks:
bastard !

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 12:42:12 AM »
I've taped 3 shows with AT4050>SX-M2>SBM1 and they smoked (Phish Japan '99).  Again, probably as much to do with the venue and sound as anything, but they're always being listed as SBDs on people's lists.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 02:10:46 AM »
Good job Ray!  You also have the 4061s to stealth with too....WACKEN OPEN AIR FESTIVAL '05!!!!!!!!!!  I am considering buying some full size mics in the future...how much do these cost?
Really not very evil at all now...

Ray76

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 09:30:10 AM »
Good job Ray!  You also have the 4061s to stealth with too....WACKEN OPEN AIR FESTIVAL '05!!!!!!!!!!  I am considering buying some full size mics in the future...how much do these cost?

they go around 800 a pair.

Ray

marc0789

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 09:38:29 AM »

eh....I disagree a bit. I ran mbhos in THE worst venue I've ever been in, the Rialto in Tucson. Imagine a 1920 vaudeville theatre, which isn't great for rock anyway, and imagine every ounce of upholstery, carpet, seats stripped out, and throw in a cheap ass PA to complete the picture. We struggled for a long time trying to run 4022's, hell we couldn't pull a tape from 10' dfc. Yet the bhos could pull a demonstrably better tape in front of the same pre and a/d. Forgiving mics can make a world of difference, even if the room, pa and foh guy suck nuts.

Ray76

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 11:45:30 AM »

eh....I disagree a bit. I ran mbhos in THE worst venue I've ever been in, the Rialto in Tucson. Imagine a 1920 vaudeville theatre, which isn't great for rock anyway, and imagine every ounce of upholstery, carpet, seats stripped out, and throw in a cheap ass PA to complete the picture. We struggled for a long time trying to run 4022's, hell we couldn't pull a tape from 10' dfc. Yet the bhos could pull a demonstrably better tape in front of the same pre and a/d. Forgiving mics can make a world of difference, even if the room, pa and foh guy suck nuts.

which is what happened last night.
Ray

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 12:19:19 PM »

i agree with marc here.... i've heard some muddy, boomy bad pa's and rooms sound pretty nice on tape. it's shocking, but it happens more often than you'd think. case in point, my Dickey Betts recording from last night. the house sound was horrid.... too much bass drum and no keys in the mix but the tape sound miraculous... much better than what i was hearing last night. the barrymore in madison is another good example where i've heard bad room sound but very nice tapes.

"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 12:38:10 PM »

i agree with marc here.... i've heard some muddy, boomy bad pa's and rooms sound pretty nice on tape. it's shocking, but it happens more often than you'd think. case in point, my Dickey Betts recording from last night. the house sound was horrid.... too much bass drum and no keys in the mix but the tape sound miraculous... much better than what i was hearing last night. the barrymore in madison is another good example where i've heard bad room sound but very nice tapes.

this is because the mics attenuate and accentuate differently than our ears do - so what sounds bad at the time can actually be really good on the recording... not to mention the added coloration by preamps and ADCs that one can have...  I've left many a bar thing that the pull was going to be terrible and came up happier than i thought i would be... of course the opposite has also occured, where I thought I was going to be goldern and upon listening, i found out a had captured crap.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 12:41:43 PM »
We struggled for a long time trying to run 4022's, hell we couldn't pull a tape from 10' dfc.

What'd you expect, running DPAs?  :P

And fair enough - some mics are more forgiving than others, absolutely true, and this will sometimes result in a recording that sounds better than the room.  Though I'd more likely chalk up the recording turning out better than the room to the difference in the way mics "hear" v. the human hearing, i.e. what keepongoin' said.

of course the opposite has also occured, where I thought I was going to be goldern and upon listening, i found out a had captured crap.

Had this happen to me, recently - thought the Chicago QOTSA performance sounded mighty fine, but the recording sounds pretty poor, IMO, just dull and muffled to my ears.   :-\
Roland R-05

Ray76

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 12:42:53 PM »
We struggled for a long time trying to run 4022's, hell we couldn't pull a tape from 10' dfc.

What'd you expect, running DPAs?  :P

And fair enough - some mics are more forgiving than others, absolutely true, and this will sometimes result in a recording that sounds better than the room.  Though I'd more likely chalk up the recording turning out better than the room to the difference in the way mics "hear" v. the human hearing, i.e. what keepongoin' said.

of course the opposite has also occured, where I thought I was going to be goldern and upon listening, i found out a had captured crap.

Had this happen to me, recently - thought the Chicago QOTSA performance sounded mighty fine, but the recording sounds pretty poor, IMO, just dull and muffled to my ears.   :-\

at any rate these at 4050s were a steal for um........100 bucks.

hehe :coolguy: :cheers: :djsmilie:

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 12:43:43 PM »
 i've heard some muddy, boomy bad pa's and rooms sound pretty nice on tape

I had that happen this week.  I taped a show in this tiny club here in town that has a BRUTAL PA.  Really wretched sound.  Add to that the fact that the lead singer used slapback reverb on his vocals for rockabilly styles and you get a horrible mess of noise.  Anyhow, taped it from about 20' back and figured "no way in hell this is going to be listenable".  However, it came out fairly enjoyable.  Much better than at the venue that's for sure.

Here's the result attached:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 12:49:08 PM by Unitmonster »
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 12:46:46 PM »
my biggest problem lately has been the vocals.  i get a kickass tape but hardly any vocals on it.  i always blame the soundman tho.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Ray76

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 12:48:25 PM »
my biggest problem lately has been the vocals.  i get a kickass tape but hardly any vocals on it.  i always blame the soundman tho.

thats why i always get two sources, it has been the case most of the time ive taped that i hjave the same problem you have. thats what i use the SBD for and nothing else.

no i gotta throw this reverb soaked shite away.

Ray

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 01:19:13 PM »
dull and muffled to my ears.   :-\

uh, Brian.... you run Schoeps mics. ;) :P ;D

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 01:21:33 PM »

I knew that was coming!  But I ran two sets of gear and they both stunk:  MK21 (NOS) > V3, AKG C414B-ULS (Blumlein) > T+ UA5.  Hmph.
Roland R-05

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 01:31:24 PM »
did the Queens happen to play the Aragon (aka the 2nd worst sounding venue on Earth next to the Eagles Auditorium)?

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 01:33:30 PM »

Them's fightin' words...

:boxing:

:yack:
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 01:50:23 PM »
did the Queens happen to play the Aragon (aka the 2nd worst sounding venue on Earth next to the Eagles Auditorium)?

The Aragon's not so bad if you get FOB roughly underneath the disco ball (a la my fall '03 Primus recording).  But no, the recording of note was an outdoor show at Cubs Care Park, courtesy of Q101.  And yeah, Eagles Aud sucks.
Roland R-05

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 02:00:01 PM »

The Aragon's not so bad if you get FOB roughly underneath the disco ball (a la my fall '03 Primus recording).  But no, the recording of note was an outdoor show at Cubs Care Park, courtesy of Q101.  And yeah, Eagles Aud sucks.

sidebar: i've got a good buddy who works for Q101. he goes by "Twitch" when he's on-air.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 03:04:57 PM »
brian how are you liking your t+mod? do you think it sounds as transparent as the v3? just curious what your thoughts are considering you have run both boxes.

I haven't done a direct comp (yet), but my initial thoughts are that it's every bit as transparent, if not more so, but lacks a bit of the finer detail and soundstaging of the V3.  I hope to run a direct T+ UA5 / V3 comp soon, splitting the mics (Schoeps MKx, AKG 414) to both boxes.
Roland R-05

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2005, 02:55:48 AM »
I've taped 3 shows with AT4050>SX-M2>SBM1 and they smoked (Phish Japan '99).  Again, probably as much to do with the venue and sound as anything, but they're always being listed as SBDs on people's lists.

I have those recordings - very nice job!
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 51 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com