Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD722 Transfer ???  (Read 4240 times)

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
SD722 Transfer ???
« on: August 10, 2005, 10:25:46 AM »
Hey,
I am finally on the list for a 722, and I am curious about transfers via. firewire. If the unit is set to the 2GB file size limit and recorded in wav., how are the files tranferred onto the PC? Are each 2GB file dumped independentally or each track tranferred independentally? Has anyone had audible gaps while reconnecting files? I guess if you record in 4gb file sizes, there is no way to transfer to your PC?
I hear some are transferring files directly to Wavelab 5.0, but how? If you are not recording in real-time, how is this done?
Excuse the ignorance, but I can find all kinds of info. about the 722, but very little about file transfer. Any help would be most appreciated...

Brad K.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SD722 Transfer ???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 10:33:40 AM »
1. The files are transferred by mounting the 722 as a drive. You can copy the files from the 722's drive to your local drive (drag and drop).
2. You can record each track to a separate file and transfer each of those, or record to a stereo file and transfer that. I think most people are using the 2GB stereo option.
3. There files rejoin seamlessly. Scott Brown reported a problem with an earlier firmware version where this was not true. Make sure you're not on this version (1.32, I think).
4. I don't know of anyone who transfers directly to Wavelab. I suppose you can open the files on the 722 in Wavelab, but I'd strongly recommend copying them to a local drive first.
Out of the game … for now?

Ray76

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:40:50 AM »
Hey,
I am finally on the list for a 722, and I am curious about transfers via. firewire. If the unit is set to the 2GB file size limit and recorded in wav., how are the files tranferred onto the PC? Are each 2GB file dumped independentally or each track tranferred independentally? Has anyone had audible gaps while reconnecting files? I guess if you record in 4gb file sizes, there is no way to transfer to your PC?
I hear some are transferring files directly to Wavelab 5.0, but how? If you are not recording in real-time, how is this done?
Excuse the ignorance, but I can find all kinds of info. about the 722, but very little about file transfer. Any help would be most appreciated...

Brad K.

You can transfer 4G files to the PC but Wavelab has problems with files over 2g from my understanding.
What I do is drag and drop to the PC HD, open in wavelab, normalize, resample, dither, set markers and autosplit.I use 2g splits as well.I think boswell uses 4g splits....And if im not mistaken, CD wave will handle that size.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:50:49 AM by BigRay »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 10:46:38 AM »
My process, I drag over the 3 files (for shows over 2 hours, since I have the 2 Gb limit set), chop them up in CD-Wave, join the files in wavelab with the "insert at end function" for the two spots that are split, do a batch dither/resample in wavelab, and then burn/flac.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:56:10 AM »
Thanks Matt, Ray, and Nick! +T. I am sure I will have more problems, but I'll address them when the time comes...
Brad K.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:58:27 AM by bkirby »

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 11:20:28 AM »
Thanks Matt, Ray, and Nick! +T. I am sure I will have more problems, but I'll address them when the time comes...
Brad K.

on a related note brad, the mg and 148 sound real good with the 722

there is a sample in the taperchat section.

i love it.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 11:31:24 AM »
Thanks... I plan on doing all sorts of comps. with the MGs, Schoeps, V3, and M148 once I get the 722! I'll keep everyone informed...

Ray76

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 11:32:47 AM »
Thanks... I plan on doing all sorts of comps. with the MGs, Schoeps, V3, and M148 once I get the 722! I'll keep everyone informed...

good deal.

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 05:20:56 PM »
You can record @ 4gig, and dump the files to your computer, then open the 4gig in cdwave and track out each song, then each track (song) will become a new file. You can open wavelab and insert the wav files in a montague and render/ burn the dvd. Pretty easy, but I had problems with 1.42 and the 4gig file set on saturday night. Ended up getting some digi noise, getting another a/d board...See the sound device forum. You will certainly enjoy the 722...thanks for posting those pics...payback is tough... :'(
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 10:21:36 AM »
Thanks Charles... I'll remember that for the fall...

marc0789

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 11:08:19 AM »
You can record @ 4gig, and dump the files to your computer, then open the 4gig in cdwave and track out each song, then each track (song) will become a new file. You can open wavelab and insert the wav files in a montague and render/ burn the dvd. Pretty easy, but I had problems with 1.42 and the 4gig file set on saturday night. Ended up getting some digi noise, getting another a/d board...See the sound device forum. You will certainly enjoy the 722...thanks for posting those pics...payback is tough... :'(

new a/d board?  ::)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 02:06:43 PM »
new a/d board? ::)

Do you prefer the "there is absolutely nothing wrong with our product" approach as the mini-me flames away?
Out of the game … for now?

marc0789

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 02:40:01 PM »
new a/d board? ::)

Do you prefer the "there is absolutely nothing wrong with our product" approach as the mini-me flames away?

no, not at all, that was my point. I've owned 2 mp-2's, and SD was always great and fast at repairing. But each had issues...broken headphone out, busted lights, sketchy power connection and cable to the point that I quit trying to get them to repair it, bad pots, and on both, these problems popped up FAST. My point is that imo SD quality, in my experience, is lacking...but they do stand behind their product, unlike the shitbags at Crapogee. But personally I'm spooked, don't need the hassle right now. Gonna play wait and see on this one.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com