Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hypers NOS  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Hypers NOS
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 11:17:07 AM »
i've always been curious about those...I like the AT sound.  flat, but not dry

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 11:41:20 AM »
i've always been curious about those...I like the AT sound.  flat, but not dry

nick i can shoot you a sample, just give me an email.

teddy

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 11:51:24 AM »
i think the "hole in the middle" thing is more likely to happen with a larger included angle with hypers, rather than the distance between the caps.  I don't know that i've actually ever heard a tape with a hole in the middle, but in just thinking about it, i think the hole theory is sort of based on a misperception that the lobes of a microphone are in a sense "physical" with actual boundaries to them.  in reality, the lobes are differing levels of attenuation of frequencies as you vary further and further off axis.  for example a first-order cardioid (don't know exactly what first order means) is 3db down at 55 degrees off-axis (according to dpa microphone university) - which is probably where the french came up with ortf which is just 2 first order cards each 55 degrees off-axis.  a hyper cardiod has a steeper attenuation curve than this, so if they were spaced at 110 degrees, the more severe attenuation of the hypers coiuld result in a perception that there is a hole in the middle.  but at 90 degrees, whether they are spaced at 17cm or 30 cm, i wouldn't imagine that the perceived hole in the middle would be there.

charlies-i actually have found the reverse at the 930 club, i like running less than 90 degrees there.  the best tapes i've pulled from the section have been cards at about 70 degrees or so, with the "center line" of the mics pointed right in between the stacks (if that makes sense).

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 06:15:52 PM »
Damon,

Good point agreed that the angle is the biggest factor, although at some point distance has to become a factor.

On the 930 Club, maybe you using cards and me using hypers is the difference between our results? Hypers and it seems to be even moreso cards from the corner will result essentially in a left-stack-only tape. If seems to me that the more cap separation you get, the more likely you will be able to pick up at least a bit of the right stack.

-Charlies 
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 06:55:29 PM »
imo, when you are off to one side and recording a single stack of a stereo mix, a simple DIN or ORTF setup will only be getting that stack...mostly, but the seperation (and angle) will result in phase issues that will sort of simulate stereo.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 07:44:52 PM »
that's what doug claims too...

the phase/timing issues combined with the crowd create a psuedo stereo effect...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 07:58:21 PM »
well, i don't agree.  i've walked across the room at the 930 club to check just how "stereo" the image is that is being created by the stacks.  alot of the information that is coming from the right stack is present on the tape.  there is no doubt that there is more of a presence of the left stack, but the right stack information is there for sure.  these are not simply tricked out stack tapes.  and actually, the 4022's performed best, imo, ortf, while the 140's and u89's (obviously more colored microphones) performed best at about 70 degrees included angle, 20cm.  as usual, take it fwiw, ymmv, yada, yada.

edit to add: for sure, the few tapes i've made from the balcony there are better, there's no doubt about it.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 08:26:34 PM »
never been to the 9:30 so I'll take your word for it on how that PA sounds :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 04:30:33 PM »
isn't the feed at the 9:30 mono?
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 08:19:25 AM »
no, it's stereo.  at least for most bands.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com