Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My email to M-Audio...  (Read 12819 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
My email to M-Audio...
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:09:49 PM »
As some of you may have read in other threads, my Microtrack has been basically fuct for almost a month.

I originally was emailing back and forth with Tech. Support on a semi-regular basis trying to diagnose the problems, before eventually being told the unit would have to be sent in for repairs. Since then - nothing. No more replies to my emails, several hours spent on hold, nothing...

Here's a copy of the email I sent tonight, with previous emails below:

Subject:    [Fwd: Microtrack 24/96 Return]
Date:    Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:04:10 -0600
To:    repairs@m-audio.com

Below is a message originally sent almost 3 weeks ago,
to which I've still yet to receive a reply.

I have been attempting to contact both the technical support and
repair departments by telephone for over 2 weeks now, and have
spent all together several hours on hold without yet speaking to
anyone.

To say I'm an unhappy customer would be a vast understatement
at this point. I originally received quick responses to my emails
when it was thought something could be done on my end to fix
the unit. Once it was established this would have to be returned
for repairs, all contact seemingly ended.

I would appreciate some type of response as soon as possible.
I have a $400 piece of equipment laying here unused and gathering
dust simply because no one will give me the information necessary
to have it repaired.

Nick Graham
wngraham@gmail.com
(615)498-3148

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:    Microtrack 24/96 Return
Date:    Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:34:14 -0600
To:    repairs@m-audio.com

Per instructions from the technical support dept., I'm contacting
you about returning my Microtrack 24/96 for repair and / or
possible replacement.

Below is the email exchange I had with them, as well as the info I
was told to send along:

Nick Graham
3012 Penn Meade Way
Nashville, TN 37214

(615) 498-3148

It was purchased on Nov 13, 2005 at:

Guitar Center
721 Thompson Ln.
Nashville, 37204
(615) 297-7770

I'll gladly send along a copy of my receipt.

Thanks for the reply.

Nick Graham

techsupt wrote:

> I would recommend returning your device for testing/repair/replacement.
>

>
> If you have had the device less than 30 days, please contact your original retailer about an exchange.
>

>
> If this is not possible and you want to return your device to M-Audio for testing, please send us your mailing address and contact phone number via email and we will send the rest of the information you need for the return.
>

>
> Also please let us know when and where you bought the device.
>

>
> The Repairs department will be handling your Return after we issue you an RA number. Please contact them with any questions regarding Repair costs and shipment issues at: repairs@m-audio.com

>

>

>
> From: Nick Graham [mailto:wngraham@gmail.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 5:35 PM
> To: techsupt
> Subject: Re: Microtrack 2496
>

>
> While I appreciate the response, if you'll re-read my original email (below),
> updating the firmware isn't possible, as the unit will not even power up.
>
>
>
>
> techsupt wrote:
>
>Hello, right now we are working on a firmware update that will address this
>
>issue. If you like, there is a beta version firmware revision available on
>
>our website, but it will not address all the issues that the full version
>
>addresses.
>
>
>
>The firmware update for the MicroTrack can be found here:
>
>
>
>http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>
>From: Nick Graham [mailto:wngraham@gmail.com]
>
>Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 7:59 PM
>
>To: techsupt@m-audio.com
>
>Subject: Microtrack 2496
>
>
>
>Tonight I was formatting a couple of new compact flash cards,
>
>when I ran into a serious issue.
>
>
>
>I formatted the first card with no problems. Turned the unit off,
>
>inserted the new card, rebooted the unit, and got a "Insert Rescue
>
>Disc" message. I then turned off the unit - and now...absolutely
>
>nothing will happen.
>
>
>
>The unit will not power on, will not charge (either when connected
>
>to my PC's USB port or the AC adapter). It appears to be
>
>completely dead...it won't do anything.
>
>
>
>Is there some type of reset mechanism? Anything I could possibly
>
>try?
>
>
>
>Your response is much anticipated and welcome,
>
>Nick Graham
>
>wngraham@gmail.com
>
>(615) 498-3148

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
Re: My email to M-Audio...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 08:16:33 PM »
First of all, that sucks.
Secondly, +T for the coolheaded response. Although I've always heard that you get more bees with honey i'm more likely to start throwing rocks at the nest after a runaround like you've experienced.

Good luck and def. keep us posted on any response...
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 10:12:49 PM »
That sucks that they won't respond.  Is it too late to cancel the CC charge? (assuming you paid by cc)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 10:18:52 PM »
bullshit
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 10:29:28 PM »
Maybe this has been covered in another thread, but did you ever try taking it to GC and have them exchange it? Or have them do a Manufacturer Service?

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 04:04:21 AM »
they need to take a class from sound devices on customer service. 

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 08:59:08 AM »
Well, I think I will also email m-audio asking them WTF? If this is the type of customer service one can expect after making a major purchase of an m-audio product, I think I will wait for: 1. a device that has been thoroughly field tested to work out any bugs and 2. a service program that can eliminate the stress inflicted from a product which turns out to be POS. Looks like I’ll be sticking with the laptop and the jb3 for now. Let the email Jihad begin...   

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 01:53:45 PM »
good letter nick +t

fwiw, you may want to edit out some personal info in the exchange (addy & phone #)

... lovin my jb3's  >:D
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 02:18:59 PM »
I'm dealing with the same problem right now...I've got a 410 that tech support said needs to go into service and they'd get back to me with an RMA and that's the last I heard from them. Nice.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »
Well, I think I will also email m-audio asking them WTF? If this is the type of customer service one can expect after making a major purchase of an m-audio product, I think I will wait for: 1. a device that has been thoroughly field tested to work out any bugs and 2. a service program that can eliminate the stress inflicted from a product which turns out to be POS. Looks like I’ll be sticking with the laptop and the jb3 for now. Let the email Jihad begin...   

Wait wait wait... so you're going to e-mail the company asking why they're giving this guy a hard time?  Why would you do that?

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 02:35:33 PM »
Because he shares Nick's Concern...It is BS and they should be called out on it in not so discreet terms.

Wait wait wait... so you're going to e-mail the company asking why they're giving this guy a hard time?  Why would you do that?

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 02:41:56 PM »
Because he shares Nick's Concern...It is BS and they should be called out on it in not so discreet terms.

Fair enough.  Just seems a little counter-productive in my mind.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 02:50:17 PM »
Just seems a little counter-productive in my mind.

How so?

Contacting M-Audio communicates that their poor response to the situation is impacting not only an existing customer, but potential customers as well.  Effective, i.e. productive?  Maybe, maybe not.  Counter-productive?  Nah.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 02:58:46 PM »

Thats basically it. I have no real stake in this except that I would love to see the MT working to full potential. Hopefully, the more complaints they get the better the resolution of the issue(s). Also, Nick is an asset to our community, so I would have no reservations in stirring the pot a little to try and get things moving...Kris

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 03:18:42 PM »
+ Nick.

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 06:40:50 PM »

Sent both MT's back to Oade for a refund.  744 arrives saturday.  While not as stealthy, hopefully WAY MORE reliable.

Funny part is that the first one (with the shaky backlight) worked perfectly otherwise - I likely would have gotten a second one.

Most of the people that were asking my advice locally on the purchase of an MT, were advised by me to steer clear for a few months and see what happens vis-a-vis all the bug-fixes and QC issues.

Good luck in your quest for satisfaction Nick.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

RebelRebel

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 06:46:24 PM »
youll have no issues with the 744t Rick...the meters will take getting used to, and the firewire transfer speed could be a little better, but it is rock solid....

Sent both MT's back to Oade for a refund.  744 arrives saturday.  While not as stealthy, hopefully WAY MORE reliable.

Funny part is that the first one (with the shaky backlight) worked perfectly otherwise - I likely would have gotten a second one.

Most of the people that were asking my advice locally on the purchase of an MT, were advised by me to steer clear for a few months and see what happens vis-a-vis all the bug-fixes and QC issues.

Good luck in your quest for satisfaction Nick.

Rick

Offline Zaphod Beeblebrox

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 03:39:35 AM »
FWIW, bought a MT from Guitar Center here in southern California.  Got a great price, unfortunately it had to be ordered from another store.  Finally arrived on the 4th of this year and I when I plugged it in for its initial charge...nothing.  It was dead right out of the box.  I returned it the next day and they're ordering me a new one from the closest store that has one, which happens to be in Oregon.  I e-mailed M-Audio, but have received no reply as of the 8th.  I really want this device to work.  I'll keep everyone updated of my experiences.

-Zaphod

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 07:24:16 AM »
FWIW, bought a MT from Guitar Center here in southern California.  Got a great price, unfortunately it had to be ordered from another store.  Finally arrived on the 4th of this year and I when I plugged it in for its initial charge...nothing.  It was dead right out of the box.  I returned it the next day and they're ordering me a new one from the closest store that has one, which happens to be in Oregon.  I e-mailed M-Audio, but have received no reply as of the 8th.  I really want this device to work.  I'll keep everyone updated of my experiences.

-Zaphod

How long did you keep it plugged in and try to get it to turn on?  As myself and others have noted in previous threads (way back, deep in some of those long threads), it took about 10 minutes or so for the thing to turn on for the initial charge (myself included).  it's been working great for me since then, so I obviously don't have a defective unit.  just posting this as an fyi to you, if it should happen again with your next unit.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 08:09:54 AM »
How long did you keep it plugged in and try to get it to turn on?  As myself and others have noted in previous threads (way back, deep in some of those long threads), it took about 10 minutes or so for the thing to turn on for the initial charge (myself included).  it's been working great for me since then, so I obviously don't have a defective unit.  just posting this as an fyi to you, if it should happen again with your next unit.

right, the same thing happened to me with my brand new mt out of the box. i was a bit nervouse but just let it stay plugged in and eventually the mt lit up charged and did its thing.

i had not used the mt in about 2 weeks and when i went to power it on yesterday it wouldnt boot up. held the power button for about 20 seconds and nothing. then i remembered that the last time i used it the battery was fairly low. i plugged in the ac charger and after another 10 minutes or so it was lighting up, charging and doing its thing. phfew.

nick i hope you get this straightened out. if not buy another one with cash from gc and then return it with the broken one in the box to gc for a full refund. thats what i would do.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 02:39:25 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I don't think I left it plugged in for ten minutes.  The instructions said, if I remember correctly, that the screen should display "charging".  When I plugged it in and got nothing I went into problem solving mode, i.e., checking to make sure outlet was hot, trying different outlets, plugging it into a USB slot on my computer, making sure there were no air gaps in the system, etc.  However, leaving it plugged in did not occur to me.

I'm glad you told me this, I was planning on plugging in the next one at Guitar Center to check to see if it would power up before I took it home.

I also e-mailed M-audio about this but received no reply.  Seems like an easy fix.

-Zaphod

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 02:55:06 PM »
The manual's wrong...it never says "Charging" and it never says "Charged." Once the screen does come on the battery icon in the upper right animates by filling up from it's current charged state to full over and over until it has a full charge, at which point it simply stays on in filled state. I'm sure you're not the only one who's freaked out at the discrepancy. Just one more reason the guy who was in charge of designing this thing is no longer working at M-Audio.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline sparkjockey

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »
The manual's wrong...it never says "Charging" and it never says "Charged." Once the screen does come on the battery icon in the upper right animates by filling up from it's current charged state to full over and over until it has a full charge, at which point it simply stays on in filled state. I'm sure you're not the only one who's freaked out at the discrepancy. Just one more reason the guy who was in charge of designing this thing is no longer working at M-Audio.

Craig

I sent M-Audio an e-mail questioning this very thing-still haven't heard back from them. Their customer service sure seems to be a low priority >:(

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 08:19:22 PM »
Well, it's been 3 days now, and still no reply from M-Audio. Granted, I didn't really expect to hear anything this weekend...but they had 2 hours on Thursday and all day Friday to respond.

This is unquestionably the worst customer service experience I've ever had. I don't think they want to offer to repair my unit because they have no f**king clue what's wrong....sorta the same way I feel about all the bugs we've encountered so far.

I love my Audiophile 24/96 soundcard, and really wanna get the Microtrack working (since it cost me almost $400), but I will NEVER buy another M-Audio product.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2006, 08:59:39 PM »
Well, it's been 3 days now, and still no reply from M-Audio. Granted, I didn't really expect to hear anything this weekend...but they had 2 hours on Thursday and all day Friday to respond.

This is unquestionably the worst customer service experience I've ever had. I don't think they want to offer to repair my unit because they have no f**king clue what's wrong....sorta the same way I feel about all the bugs we've encountered so far.

I love my Audiophile 24/96 soundcard, and really wanna get the Microtrack working (since it cost me almost $400), but I will NEVER buy another M-Audio product.

While you are waiting for a response that might never come (I hope not!) did you try and leave it plugged in overnight?  Maybe you tried this already, but I believe it's worth a shot if you didn't.  Also, maybe if the internal battery is disconnected for say an hour and then reconnected the unit might wake up.  I realize the warranty might be voided, but it's still food for thought.  I just can't get out of my brain the sheer unlikeliness of permanent damage by turning off the power!  Also, the "insert rescue disk" message sounds really strange.  If there was damage, maybe it occured during the last card insertion.

Sigh.  Just speculating and wondering if I should purchase an MT.  Now I have doubts...   ???

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2006, 01:36:00 PM »
Finally heard back!

Got a repair authorization # and a shipping address. I'll keep everyone posted as to how it goes from here...

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 01:51:42 PM »
Finally heard back!

Got a repair authorization # and a shipping address. I'll keep everyone posted as to how it goes from here...

Huzzah!  Glad to hear that they're doing an RMA for you!

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »

I got my new Microtrack from Guitar Center.  I just plugged it in and am waiting to see if it's going to power up.  Ten minutes and counting.  Hope it powers up.

-Zaphod

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 01:03:25 AM »

Craig

If you have the MT booted up and then plug it in, or add any external power it will say CHG inside the small box (icon). If you just plug it in from an off position, you will get the filled and semi filled icon.

Best of luck to Nick. We all hope the repair/replace department at Micro Track does right by you!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 04:13:08 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

cmoorevt

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 11:50:14 AM »
Maybe I missed this previously, but M-Audio has apparently re-worked how they handle tech support emails. I sent techsupt@m-audio.com an email this morning reminding them yet again that the device won't pass signal when using the spdif input and received an automated reply that directed me to a Technical Support Portal where I can file an incident report as well as track the status of that report(previously I would get a repsonse to my techsupt email)

Not sure if the results will be better or worse than what they were doing before, but I've already filed a couple of indicents.  It can't hurt....

For those of you still using the techsupt@m-audio.com email, here is the link:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.contact

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 02:09:41 PM »
Maybe I missed this previously, but M-Audio has apparently re-worked how they handle tech support emails. I sent techsupt@m-audio.com an email this morning reminding them yet again that the device won't pass signal when using the spdif input and received an automated reply that directed me to a Technical Support Portal where I can file an incident report as well as track the status of that report(previously I would get a repsonse to my techsupt email)

Not sure if the results will be better or worse than what they were doing before, but I've already filed a couple of indicents.  It can't hurt....

For those of you still using the techsupt@m-audio.com email, here is the link:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.contact

I will do the same.  Thanks for the info!

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2006, 07:25:33 AM »
A quick followup - it's looking like getting my MT back from M-Audio may be as difficult as getting it sent off to begin with.

It was sent USPS Priority Mail (with Delivery Confirmation) on January 17th, and they received it 2 days later. They were supposed to send me a repair diagnosis after receiving the unit, needless to say I never got it. Now, after 3 unreturned emails, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get it back. They stated in my last correspondence with them they would have a 10 - 20 day turnaround time....it's now been a month and I've not heard or received a thing.

I will NEVER buy another M-Audio product.

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2006, 11:51:32 AM »
Oh no! :'(  So sorry to hear about that!  I'm starting to get worried about when mine kicks the bucket.

M-Audio is just another example of a US front company for designed/engineered in Hyderabad India (PortalPlayer), made in China products (just like the iPod - yeah, Google is your friend).  Luckily my MT is still working, but thank goodness some of us still have our little M1/JB3/... for those discreet occasions.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »
Oh no! :'(  So sorry to hear about that!  I'm starting to get worried about when mine kicks the bucket.

M-Audio is just another example of a US front company for designed/engineered in Hyderabad India (PortalPlayer), made in China products (just like the iPod - yeah, Google is your friend).  Luckily my MT is still working, but thank goodness some of us still have our little M1/JB3/... for those discreet occasions.

You don't need Google for that - all Apple products are assembled in China and designed/engineered in the US.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »
i refuse to buy an m-audio product after the HORRIBLE experience i had with a deltio dio card.  basically this is what happened:

1. i got a card and it never worked right
2. i called and told them this within a week. 
3. they said they'd send me another card and take mine back, but it might take a while to find out what was wrong with the first one.  i was concerned that this would be after the warranty period, but they assured me that they'd still refund my money and take the card back no matter how long it took if they never resolved the issue
4. the card they sent me as a replacement had the same issues.  so it wasn't a hardware issue, but a driver issue.
5. they ignored me, then lied to me and gave me the run around for 6 more months
6. finally i gave up and wanted to return the unused card.  but they refused to refund my money and told me i made that up

screw them

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »

You don't need Google for that - all Apple products are assembled in China and designed/engineered in the US.

So they say.  Since PortalPlayer shifted their R&D to Hyderabad we've got only a skeleton crew here in Kirkland.  PortalPlayer is the basic platform for both the iPod and MT.  Why would any company keep their R&D in the US anyway?  R&D almost inevitably follows manufacturing.  Who's going to stop them?

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2006, 03:25:43 PM »

So they say.  Since PortalPlayer shifted their R&D to Hyderabad we've got only a skeleton crew here in Kirkland.  PortalPlayer is the basic platform for both the iPod and MT.  Why would any company keep their R&D in the US anyway?  R&D almost inevitably follows manufacturing.  Who's going to stop them?

A really good friend of mine is an engineer at Apple.  They test products for months before they go into full production.  He is one of the test engineers, and designs the machines that do the testing (ie.  hitting the button till it fails, opens and shuts the laptop till the hinges fail, etc) then oversees the testing. Its all done at the Apple campus in Cupertino. He had prototypes of things like the flexible neck imac and the aluminum powerbook at his house months before they were in full production. He doesnt test ipods though, that is a different area. 

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 03:27:16 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2006, 03:51:46 PM »

A really good friend of mine is an engineer at Apple.  They test products for months before they go into full production.  He is one of the test engineers, and designs the machines that do the testing (ie.  hitting the button till it fails, opens and shuts the laptop till the hinges fail, etc) then oversees the testing. Its all done at the Apple campus in Cupertino. He had prototypes of things like the flexible neck imac and the aluminum powerbook at his house months before they were in full production. He doesnt test ipods though, that is a different area. 

I was referring to M-Audio R&D, not Apple's great QC (though I believe some other manufacturer made my Al PowerBook).  Does M-Audio have any QC except for a "quick check" from the manufacturer?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2006, 07:45:07 AM »
A quick followup - it's looking like getting my MT back from M-Audio may be as difficult as getting it sent off to begin with.

It was sent USPS Priority Mail (with Delivery Confirmation) on January 17th, and they received it 2 days later. They were supposed to send me a repair diagnosis after receiving the unit, needless to say I never got it. Now, after 3 unreturned emails, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get it back. They stated in my last correspondence with them they would have a 10 - 20 day turnaround time....it's now been a month and I've not heard or received a thing.

absolutely ridiculous and piss poor customer service.  Though I have never heard good things about M-Audio so I am not surprised

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2006, 07:54:49 PM »

absolutely ridiculous and piss poor customer service.  Though I have never heard good things about M-Audio so I am not surprised

qft, cant believe their customer service
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline HASHTHRASH v.666

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2006, 12:43:05 PM »
Mine wasn't working, and it was freaking me out!   Plugged in to my mac and nothing.  Plugged it into a wall and nothing.  Wouldn't charge, and wouldn't even turn on.  I just started reading this thread (I've been away from this site for a couple of months)and got even more worried!  I haven't had time to get into sending it in for repairs or getting ahold of tech support since my  computer has been acting screwy and I needed to address that first.

Scared as hell, I plugged the Microtrack in to my comp, and would ya goddamned believe it?  Right away it turns on and starts charging!  I'm happy I dodged a bullet, but reading all this makes me want to not buy another thing from this company.  I'm also saving up for another audio recorder.  I do like the size and weight of this, so I hope I find something comparable. 

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2006, 12:51:24 PM »
Mine wasn't working, and it was freaking me out!   Plugged in to my mac and nothing.  Plugged it into a wall and nothing.  Wouldn't charge, and wouldn't even turn on.  I just started reading this thread (I've been away from this site for a couple of months)and got even more worried!  I haven't had time to get into sending it in for repairs or getting ahold of tech support since my  computer has been acting screwy and I needed to address that first.

Scared as hell, I plugged the Microtrack in to my comp, and would ya goddamned believe it?  Right away it turns on and starts charging!  I'm happy I dodged a bullet, but reading all this makes me want to not buy another thing from this company.  I'm also saving up for another audio recorder.  I do like the size and weight of this, so I hope I find something comparable. 

It must have depleted it's battery completly. The MicroTrack won't power up when the battery is fully dead (or at least below it's threshold limit for powering up). One that is will usally take from 5-10 minutes of charging to 'come on'. There's a new note in currently shipping units about this. It keep the battery from totally discharging 100% and becoming damaged.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2006, 07:30:28 PM »
Well - after 3 months of complete BS, I finally got my Microtrack back today. Seems to be working fine, I updated it with the new firmware and everything went smoothly.

Glad to see this is finally over - though I stand by my previous statement that I will never buy another piece of M-Audio equipment.

Also, a HUGE thank you to Neutrino, who's been letting me borrow his MT for the last 9 weeks or so. It's cool folks like him that make TS.com such a great place.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 07:35:29 PM by Nick Graham »

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 12:48:59 PM »
Well - after 3 months of complete BS, I finally got my Microtrack back today. Seems to be working fine, I updated it with the new firmware and everything went smoothly.

Glad to see this is finally over - though I stand by my previous statement that I will never buy another piece of M-Audio equipment.

Also, a HUGE thank you to Neutrino, who's been letting me borrow his MT for the last 9 weeks or so. It's cool folks like him that make TS.com such a great place.

Just curious if you got a replacement, or did they actually repair your original unit? Did they state what the problem was?
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2006, 01:06:54 PM »
Slightly related:

I sent en amil to M-Audio after release of 1.3.3: RE: M-Audio Microtrack firmware update 1.3.3: thanks, but...
(title says it all, I expressed the need for seamless 2GB splits)

Got a reply:

Thank you Udo,

I will forward this message to the developers.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2006, 02:06:47 PM »
Why would any company keep their R&D in the US anyway?  R&D almost inevitably follows manufacturing.  Who's going to stop them?

The company I work for does 90% of the R&D here in the US, the rest is in either China or Europe. All manufacturing is done in Taiwain. The big fear in the R&D world is instability of places like China. There is nothing stopping them from taking IP (Intellectual Property) and saying it now belongs to the government. That has happened, and is the biggest reason a lot of US companies are thinking twice about how much R&D goes abroad.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2006, 03:27:06 AM »

Just curious if you got a replacement, or did they actually repair your original unit? Did they state what the problem was?
dB-

It's the same unit. They sent it back in my original box I sent it in, with no notes as to what was wrong, what they did to repair it, etc.

It's basically the exact same thing I sent, only now it'll turn on!

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2006, 06:38:58 PM »

dB-

It's the same unit. They sent it back in my original box I sent it in, with no notes as to what was wrong, what they did to repair it, etc.

It's basically the exact same thing I sent, only now it'll turn on!

It's beside the point now, but back a long time ago when I went to buy a MAudio Audiophile 2496 Doug Oade told me he thought it was an excellent product but that there customer service was horrible.  Thinking I'd never use customer service anyway, I bought it, and it's been fine, but it sounds like your experience confirms what's been a problem for YEARS now.  +T for not turning into the unibomber.

Mitch

Oade preamp museum curator

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.903 seconds with 72 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com