Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Crown SASS stereo pzm mic??  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Crown SASS stereo pzm mic??
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:18:58 PM »
anyone ever use one? 
" " hear one?

I saw one once.  it was larger than I exptected.  I've been so tempted to buy one over the years.  I see them on ebay cheap sometimes, and i'm such a sucker for stereo mics.  I bet it would be the killer onstage rig.

http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/sass.htm

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
Re: Crown SASS stereo pzm mic??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 08:23:50 PM »
I believe I saw one at the phish 6/04 Alpine run. Don't think those recordings surfaced anywhere though.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:30:40 PM »
Looks like there are a couple sources on archive from Bob Cogswell, but they have other mics mixed in.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 08:35:03 PM »
yea, that was the first place I checked.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:37:30 PM »
Looks like there are a couple sources on archive from Bob Cogswell, but they have other mics mixed in.
I've always liked bob's tapes. Though, as you pointed out he is usually running the 4 mic mix.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:49:06 PM »
Bob's recordings sound pretty nice with just that mic but he did a lot of shows with the Crown CM700s mixed with the pzm also that sound good. He is at High Sierra every year recording with that setup.

Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 09:10:52 PM »
phew - my roomate might have run one at the Dead at Three Rivers summer 1990...Might have used it somewhere else too - cant remember - its a very omni/ambient flat sound - but - The clanky Three Rivers was probably not a great situation for this mic...

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 09:24:31 PM »
I have one of those in my closet.I almost forgot I had it. ::) I used it a couple times in 99 and 00.I did a few Phish shows from the section.They sound good for what hey are (no Pre-amp used.)Damn if I would have remembered I had it I would have used it for some on stage situations.I compleatly forgot I had it and that it was an omni.I havent used it in a good five years.Oh well.Hey
 if anybody is interested in it pm me. I might put it in the yard sale since its not being used.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 12:25:05 AM »
I know BobbyHurley seeded a MMW show from 96 that used a PZM setup on some crazy ass plexiglass type deal. Here is the setlist/info.

This was my first time seeing MMW live, and let me just say it rivalled the first time seeing Star Wars in the theater. They blew me away. The show was in the now defunct venue, Be Here Now in downtown Asheville. The unusual layout of the venue made for an intimate show. I was sooo happy to finally find a recording of the show, and even happier when I heard it. For those of you unfamiliar with PZM mics, they are the flat mics that you usually see on a table during a conference. Tapers, being resourceful and understanding the properties of the PZM's, figured out that you could mount these on small sheets of plexiglass aimed at the stage, and with the right amount of luck, pull off some sick tapes.

Check it out.

Medeski Martin & Wood
December 6, 1996
Be Here Now
Asheville, NC

Source: Radio Shack PZM 33-1090B > DAT @ 48kHz
Taped by: Unknown (patch by Chaffe McIlhenny)

Transfer: Sony 59ES > Monster s/pdif > Audiophile2496 > Wave Lab 4.0 > CDWave > mkwACT v.97b > shn (seek)
Transfer by: BobbyHurley
Tracking/Setlist: Pete Rocco & BobbyHurley

Disc 1
01. Blues Improv
02. Beeah
03. ITAHTLMJ
04. Improv
05. Last Chance to Dance Trance (Perhaps)
06. Night Marchers

Disc 2
01. Improv >
02. Jelly Belly
03. Lifeblood
04. Improv >
05. Bubblehouse

Disc 3
01. Macha >
02. Wiggly's Way >
03. Dracula >
04. Hermeto's Daydream
05. If I Only Knew
06. Crosstown Traffic
-= Encore =-
07. Bass solo intro >
08. Chubb Sub

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 12:34:20 AM »
yep = thats the way we used to do it too - 12x12 plexiglass plates on a 5 ft T-bar...Use 2 six volt photo batteries (per mic) instead of the AAs

I have a nice recordings of Little Women, ARU, and others - PZM > D5

My friend took this rig to Richfield in 93 - I really liked the PZM bass...

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 09:20:27 AM »
www.crownaudio.com/pdf/mics/127089.pdf check out p.17-21 on the SASS and how to use it.
Also interesting is all kinds of funky boundries p.13-17 from simple plexiglass squares to complex W shapes, pyramids, wedges & diamonds.

Mapleshade http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/main/downbeat.php uses two modded Crown PZMs on a big plexiglass V for all their purist stereo recordings.  I've got a few of their releases and they sound very nice -w/ great depth, soundstage & detail.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com