Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NJ3 - Problems with the AC adapter  (Read 3153 times)

Offline mihu23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
NJ3 - Problems with the AC adapter
« on: September 17, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »
Hi, i'm new in the forum so i'll introduce myself

I'm mihu from Mexico and I've been loving my NJ3 for 6 months ago, I got a second hand NJ3 which has been perfect in order to tape some shows that i've been at.

The problems that i had at the beggining where that the battery didn't last too long when i was recording some concerts (it lasted about 2 hours) and it get a lil bit over heated, but i was able to keep on taping shows

Anyway, my real problem is that a week ago, i tried to use my NJ3 and for my surprise, the battery indicator was with only one line (even though i left the NJ3 plugged to the light), i plugged again the ac adapter into the contact and it turned on the LCD screen and showed me the normal EAX and Nomad screens but it got freeze. I reseted it and it allowed me to charge a lil bit my NJ3 but after 5 minuts of charging, the NJ3 froze and I had to keep on reseting the player in order to charge it for 5 minutes, i don't think that I'm having a HD problem, i think that my problem would be either my ac adapter or the DC adapter connector :s

The thing is that I think that the battery ran out of energy so I've tried to turn on the NJ3 with the battery and without it (using the AC adapter) and none of these options have worked for me 

I'll also like to point out that the AC adapter that I am using is like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-AC-ES455K-WALKMAN-AC-POWER-ADAPTER-4-5v-500ma_W0QQitemZ260030569671QQihZ016QQcategoryZ50588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a SONY AC-ES455K WALKMAN AC POWER ADAPTER 4.5v 500ma

Hope someone could help me because i'm too worried with the idea of loosing all of the recordings that i've made, anyway, thanks in advance

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
Re: NJ3 - Problems with the AC adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 02:31:28 PM »
Hopefully someone more techically-educated will answer your post, but I can't help but think that it might be the charger causing the problem.  The JB3 charger is 5v...maybe the 0.5v difference is leading to problems powering the unit correctly...especially if you are then using a currency adapter for your power.

I'd ask around to see if any of your friends have a 5v power supply and give it a try.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
the AC adaptor doesn't supply enough power for you... 4.5 v into a 5 volt and the 500ma max is too low for spin-up anyhow... it draws 1 amp (1000ma) during the time it is powering up.

try with the regular JB3 charger... i think they are like 15 bucks on the creative website still.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 03:02:35 PM »
try with the regular JB3 charger... i think they are like 15 bucks on the creative website still.

If they don't list them on the site (since the JB3 is officially discontinued), the Creative Zen Touch uses the exact same 5v charger.  I have one plugged in at work and the original JB3 one at home and can charge/power interchangeably.

Offline mihu23

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 05:10:16 PM »
Hopefully someone more techically-educated will answer your post, but I can't help but think that it might be the charger causing the problem.  The JB3 charger is 5v...maybe the 0.5v difference is leading to problems powering the unit correctly...especially if you are then using a currency adapter for your power.

I'd ask around to see if any of your friends have a 5v power supply and give it a try.

Yeah, i'm thinking on going to Radio Shack and take the NJ3 with me along with the ac adapter, maybe they have some voltemeter so they can tell me if the adapter still works and sell me one that would fullfill the specifications, thank you

Offline mihu23

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 05:14:03 PM »
the AC adaptor doesn't supply enough power for you... 4.5 v into a 5 volt and the 500ma max is too low for spin-up anyhow... it draws 1 amp (1000ma) during the time it is powering up.

well, the ac adapter worked pretty well till the last week, but yeah, i'll get a 5 volt adapter

cool, but i don't think that they ship the items to mexico :s

Offline mihu23

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 05:14:47 PM »

If they don't list them on the site (since the JB3 is officially discontinued), the Creative Zen Touch uses the exact same 5v charger.  I have one plugged in at work and the original JB3 one at home and can charge/power interchangeably.

cool, i'll look for this option too at ebay

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:31:11 PM »
try putting a "ISO" up in the yard sale too
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline mihu23

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 08:54:31 PM »
try putting a "ISO" up in the yard sale too

an ISO???

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 09:07:53 PM »
ISO = In Search Of....a way to put a "want ad" in the Yard Sale section saying you are ISO JB3 Power Supply/Walwart.  There are a lot of people with multiple CJB3s or since broken ones that might have an extra laying around you could pick up and save a few bucks.  Every ISO I've posted has been answered within a couple days :)

Offline mihu23

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 11:22:37 PM »
ISO = In Search Of....a way to put a "want ad" in the Yard Sale section saying you are ISO JB3 Power Supply/Walwart.  There are a lot of people with multiple CJB3s or since broken ones that might have an extra laying around you could pick up and save a few bucks.  Every ISO I've posted has been answered within a couple days :)

:D

ok ok, well, i'll try to get some adapter but does anyone know how can i check if the dc adapter connector still works???

Today i went to radio shack and they don't have a 5V adapter :(

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 01:43:18 AM »
Creative still sells AC and DC addaptors for the JB3.  I just ordered one of each.  The AC addaptor was shipped promtly but there seems to be a backorder on the DC adaptor.  See if Creative will ship to Mexico.  If not, I'll help you out.  PM me

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline mihu23

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 02:16:57 AM »
Will this charger works???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Travel-AC-Charger-Creative-Zen-Touch-Vision-Xtra_W0QQitemZ110033783555QQihZ001QQcategoryZ86541QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It says that is compatible with NJ3 but it doesn't say anything about 5V

Offline beathydrolysis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 03:51:26 PM »
you could also get your ac and dc adapters from walmart.  I have one of each.  I used the walmart dc adapter in conjunction with a li-ion battery for field power and use the ac adapter for charging at home.  Make sure you get one that has the ability to supply over 1000mah (the one I got says up to 2000 mah).  Also make sure you attach the interchangeable ends correctly get the right polarity.
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com